Henry agrees terms with Barcelona, according to France Footb

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gooner Chris

Henry agrees terms with Barcelona, according to France Footb

Post by Gooner Chris »

Madrid - Thierry Henry has agreed to sign a three-year contract with Spanish giants Barcelona, according to the digital version of France

Football on Monday evening. According to France Football, Henry's representatives have just reached agreement with Barca sporting director Txiki Begiristain for a lucrative contract until June 2010.

Now Barcelona - keen to rebuild their squad after a disappointing season - will have to negotiate with Arsenal, Henry's club.

The digital version claims that Barca are prepared to pay around 25 million euros for the Frenchman, who will be 30 in August.
Last edited by Gooner Chris on Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

Doesn't the article say that this a story from their reporter in Barcelona, without no direct quotes. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Definitely needs clarification from Henry NOW - Stop f**king around.

Gooner Chris

Post by Gooner Chris »

confirmed by soccer news 24

we_are_the_arsenal

Post by we_are_the_arsenal »

i will ignore it until its officially announced on the arsenal website.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

[quote="Gooner Chris"]confirmed by soccer news 24[/quote]

Sorry Gooner Chris, but what has been confirmed by Soccer News 24?

Eboue Can't Defend

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

Just seen an interview with Thierry on Eurosport, and the stains are beginning to assemble in my pants - I'm that worried.

Thierry was attending a Testimonial for former Monaco colleague Sonny Anderson and, after paying tribute to Anderson and being questioned about his fitness, was asked in French whether he was going to be joining Barcelona (for whom Anderson also once played). Our esteemed no.14 said, or so the interpreter claims: "We'll see, we'll see."

Is that an indication that things are going on in the back-ground regarding this matter that we the fans are not being told about? If so, does that mean that Wenger was being untruthful when claiming a couple of weeks ago that he guaranteed that Henry would be an Arsenal player next season? And if the answer to that is yes, can we trust anything anyone from the club says ever again?

I love Wenger to bits, but it really is time we were told whether he/the club intends to sell Thierry or not. I don't want to hear about it after it has happened, ala the selling of Viera. Me and hundreds of thousands of Arsenal fans want to know now!!.

Forget about the launch of the new strip Arsenal - what concerns most Gooners is to know what the hell is really happening at our club? What happened to the grand statements made by various directors a couple of years ago when asked about future spending that "it wasn't worth having a world class stadium if we don't have a world-class team to play in it"?

I'm certain many gooners will disagree, but I see a good team, maybe even the embryonic signs of a future great team. What I don't see currently, in our world-class stadium, is a world-class team.

Sorry to sound negative, but there is only so much fun that can be had joking about on the forum - and Lord knows I've had my share!. Ultimately, what we all really care about is the product being put out onto the pitch - the football played (and I don't just mean in an aesthetic sense). In my opinion, the quality of that football, and any chances of seriously challenging for trophies, can only be harmed if we sell Thierry Henry.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

What the f**k is going on?

For me, it will be kick in the teeth to lose Henry. He is one of the few senior players that we have left, has rested and recupperated for the better part of the last 4 months and should, when the season starts, be ready to give us a huge boost. In addition, having a player like Henry attracts players to the club and keeps players at the club. I am not suggesting that players don't know their own minds or have their own ambitions, but players at his level look at these kind of things. If Henry goes, don't be surprised to see Gallas run for the door.

I think we need the management to come out and tell us what is going on. If France Football are to be believed, Henry's agent and an official from barcelona have thrashed out a possible contract should things progress. Have Arsenal given permission for this to happen?

The club should be worried - We need Henry for 2-3 years to get us through the initial lean period regarding funds after the move, to help the team grow.

Henry - Juat lay your cards on the table - what do you want?

proudtosaythatname

Post by proudtosaythatname »

What on earth is the point of 4- or 8- year contracts? If players want to leave for the temptations on offer elsewhere they just act demotivated (ie sulk) and the club has to let them go or they undermine team spirit.

Thierry and Cesc are fabulous. They've given us some fantastic memories - Thierry in particular - and they've supposedly pledged themselves to Arsenal. What does it mean if they go? We may recover, but more likely we'll continue the downward drift - maybe even faster. One thing is more than possible - a lot of fans will become very disillusioned and dream up better ways of spending their hard-earned cash than watching a bunch of short-term shirt-kissing mercenaries.

Could the Premiership bubble burst. Or is it like house prices - just keep going up regardless?

At least Wenger is being honourable...

Eboue Can't Defend

Henry Staying?

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

Breaking News:

Henry's agent issues a statement in which he denies having any contact with Barcelona. Jerome Anderson has threatened to sue France Football website, where the story was broken, for claiming that Thierry has already agreed a contract with the Catalan pimps!

I don't know what the feck to believe any more! Can't trust the media; can't trust the club; can't trust the players/manager; can't even trust the websites!

Is there no longer such things as truth and honour in the world today? :cry:

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

Concerning the spanish press, it might just be the same old same old, as it was with Vieira to Real.

As I noted, there would have been an issue regarding access from the clubto the player if a contract had been signed.

Doesn't change the underlying uncertainty though....and this kind of unsettling is what clubs like Milan, Real and Barcelona can do through their powerful, almost monopolistic press coverage.

I am afraid that this is going on for a while longer

tenementfunster5

Post by tenementfunster5 »

I would consider the fact that TH14's agent is "seeking legal advice" about the France football article a good sign. If there was talks between the two parties then surely his agent would just keep quiet and let everything settle down. He Hasn't. He has stated that there has been no contact between himself and Barca which would, presumably, mean no contact between Barca and Henry.
Lets just wait for confirmation from the club before we start to panic. Anyway shouldn't we be used to this by now?

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

I think we all have to be careful not to start slagging off players or Wenger himself, over media speculation which they have no control over. Of course Henry likes to hear that Barca & Milan are interested in him. Who wouldn't. But up to the point he goes then we should show him the loyalty that he has shown us.

(Also, there will be plenty of time to shaft the two timing scheming bastard if the rumours turn out to be true....)

tenementfunster5

Post by tenementfunster5 »

Agent slams Henry Barca reports

Henry has been courted by some of Europe's leading clubs
Thierry Henry's management group has rubbished reports from France that the Arsenal star has agreed a provisional three-year contract with Barcelona.
France Football magazine says Henry's agent met with Barca's sporting director Txiki Beguiristain last week.

But Jeff Weston, from the SEM Group which looks after Henry, told BBC Sport: "No such meeting took place. That is absolute rubbish.

"There's never been any question of him not being at Arsenal next season."

Henry, 29, signed a new four-year contract with the Gunners last year but appeared to cast doubt on his future last week when he said he was flattered by interest from AC Milan.

The European champions and Barcelona have both publically declared their interest in the player.

France Football claims Henry's agent Jerome Anderson has agreed a three-year deal, worth £6.78m (10m euros) a season, with Barcelona, with an option of a fourth year.

"It is all just media speculation, as it was last year, and the year before," Weston added of the latest reports.

Anderson is so furious with the report that he is "seeking legal advice against France Football".

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

MK Gould

On the one hand yes, I am sure that it is pleasing for Henry to be linked with such clubs.

However, I am trying to square the Henry who is on record as saying he will be at Arsenal until 2010, who is on record as linking his future to that of AW, who says he will here next season - with the Henry tonight who when asked about the speculation, does not dismiss it out of hand.

I try to leave my slagging off to Eddie McGoldrick, I just feel that some clarification of Henry's position would be great, as we do still pay his wages, and these contradictory statements now exist. If he is waiting to see how the land lies re other clubs or indeed Arsenal, then I can understand that too.

Another thing which I keep forgetting but was mentioned somewhere tonight. Henry suffers from chronic sciatica, a condition which is not likely to get any better and had been a contributory cause of many of his recent injuries. That, coupled with the fact that he will be 30 at the start of the season, this may be the last chance of securing a large fee for him.

Just something else to put in the pot.

I Hate Hleb

Lies, Damn Lies and Agents

Post by I Hate Hleb »

tenementfunster5 wrote:I would consider the fact that TH14's agent is "seeking legal advice" about the France football article a good sign. If there was talks between the two parties then surely his agent would just keep quiet and let everything settle down. He Hasn't. He has stated that there has been no contact between himself and Barca which would, presumably, mean no contact between Barca and Henry.
Lets just wait for confirmation from the club before we start to panic. Anyway shouldn't we be used to this by now?
True to a point. However, didn't Cashley, his agent and Chelsea all deny having that meeting? It was only after the N.O.T.W. managed to get a witness/photos that proved they were lying that the truth finally came out.

I'm not saying a similar thing is happening here. I very much hope not. Only time will tell. I'm not, by nature, a cynical person but I just don't think we can believe any of them any more.

Supporters have got to accept that the game of football in general, and our club in particular doesn't mean as much to the people involved in it (players/managers/boardrooms/media) as it does to us. Never has, never will. It's sad, but with the odd exception, undeniably true.