It's all about money now...still hurts to see it in red and

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
proudtosaythatname

It's all about money now...still hurts to see it in red and

Post by proudtosaythatname »

Check out this story in today's New York Times about the poor deal for sportswriters in the USA: "Press Boxes Become an Afterthought, After the Thought of Luxury Seats".

Who cares about sportswriters? I guess, thanks to 24/7 coverage and Sky in particular, fans depend less on sportswriters than we used to, but that's no need to treat them as second class citizens. Many current fans owe a lot to the guys who often sit uncomfortably to fill the back pages of our favourite daily or commentate for those who are unable to get a seat (though I do frequently envy them).

However, it's the trend, that started with prawn-level seating and ultimately may threaten the matchday experience of many more of us. The phrase that caught my eye was:

"Paul Andrews, executive vice president for Kroenke Sports Enterprises, the Nuggets’ parent company, said the team tried to balance its goal of raising revenue with respecting the news media, even as it moved reporters to a low corner at the Pepsi Center."

This is the group who want to buy 'The Arsenal'. If it happens we had better have a good season quickly. If they really don't need the journalist, the days of the true fan may really be numbered. Recorded crowd noise, music after goals - who needs us, Gooners?