Has anyone ever sneaked into Ashburton Grove without paying?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
QuartzGooner

Has anyone ever sneaked into Ashburton Grove without paying?

Post by QuartzGooner »

Versus Wigan, I saw a bloke leap over the barrier in the club level entrance and run up the stairs.

Few seconds later he was being thrown out by a huge steward followed by a lot of swearing and threats from the "gatecrasher"!

Have no idea how he thought he would get away with it as there were several stewards around.

Just wondered if anyone has ever sneaked into the ground without paying?

I once went into Highbury for the last ten minutes of a game when they used to open the gates on the North Bank at the end of the game, and the stewards would let you in without a problem, but otherwise have always had a ticket or paid at the turnstile.

pixie

Post by pixie »

Can`t see how you could get in without a valid ticket tbh. Used to take my son when he was little to the local non league club, at halftime you could get in for free.

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

apparently a couple of hundred did in the champions league against liverpool last year guess which set of fans...scousers or cockneys........retorical i think. :wink:

digger

Post by digger »

northbankbren wrote:apparently a couple of hundred did in the champions league against liverpool last year guess which set of fans...scousers or cockneys........retorical i think. :wink:
Yeah, did the usual buy/make a fake ticket, then moan to the steward it wasn't working, got fucked off, then jumped into the turnstyle when a kid was going through. Murdering *word censored*.

NBM

Post by NBM »

Scousecard I believe they call it!

12thGooner

Post by 12thGooner »

If anyone figures this out, post it and then i can witness the rampage.

chunkyandy

Post by chunkyandy »

i used to pay to get into the schoolboys bit at Highbury then climb over fence to the Northbank....god i am so old !!

Reg Niseth

Post by Reg Niseth »

Done it many times over the years. Used to be 70p for the NB, so we'd do two for a £1 and the operator would pocket the 30p. Crowds of 16,000 when you knew there was probably 23,000.

Fake tickets for Reading away in the cup back in the 80's. Know many who had fake tickets for CL final.

The best two jibbers I know no longer go, but every week they'd get into Highbury without fail and sit in the same two seats. Stewards used to think they were ST holders.

They had many ways of getting in but confidence was the key. They'd go to the NB and see a stweard standing at a side gate. They'd go to push past him, busy in conversation. When challenged they'd say something like "hello mate, they still got you doing this duty? When you gonna get inside to see the game? Is Keith in today? he said to meet him about 2.50." The door would be opened and in they'd go. (There's always a steward called Keith)

The best one which worked most of the time was when the band was packing their gear away after doing a live set in the NB. They'd go to the back of the van, make out they'd put something away then wander through the gates whilst telling a puzzled steward "we won't be long, just the cables and a couple of amps left to pick up". If the steward watched them they'd make out they were aranging stuff and when his back was turned, leg it to the two seats where the usual steward would say something like "where of you two been? The game kicked off 15 minutes ago, I thought you weren't gonna turn up".

Happy days.

BournemouthRED

Post by BournemouthRED »

Reg Niseth wrote:Done it many times over the years. Used to be 70p for the NB, so we'd do two for a £1 and the operator would pocket the 30p. Crowds of 16,000 when you knew there was probably 23,000.

Fake tickets for Reading away in the cup back in the 80's. Know many who had fake tickets for CL final.

The best two jibbers I know no longer go, but every week they'd get into Highbury without fail and sit in the same two seats. Stewards used to think they were ST holders.

They had many ways of getting in but confidence was the key. They'd go to the NB and see a stweard standing at a side gate. They'd go to push past him, busy in conversation. When challenged they'd say something like "hello mate, they still got you doing this duty? When you gonna get inside to see the game? Is Keith in today? he said to meet him about 2.50." The door would be opened and in they'd go. (There's always a steward called Keith)

The best one which worked most of the time was when the band was packing their gear away after doing a live set in the NB. They'd go to the back of the van, make out they'd put something away then wander through the gates whilst telling a puzzled steward "we won't be long, just the cables and a couple of amps left to pick up". If the steward watched them they'd make out they were aranging stuff and when his back was turned, leg it to the two seats where the usual steward would say something like "where of you two been? The game kicked off 15 minutes ago, I thought you weren't gonna turn up".

Happy days.
:lol: awesome!!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I knew a bloke that had an "arrangement" with a turnstile operator in the NB. We'd pay £20 and he'd hand us a piece of card same size as a ticket. We'd hand that to the operator and he'd let us in. Then we'd head for the seats at the edge of the NB lower, over beside the East stand and grab the vacant ones... did it probably 3 or 4 times when tickets were hard to get... :?

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Cant think how you could do it these days but during the early 80's my dad used to take me and my brother in the north Bank and ask the bloke on the turnstyle if we could jump the them and get in for free they quite often said yes

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

There's this one bloke I know that's been doing it since The Grove opened. A few of you might actually know him. He's a shortish bloke, black skin, from Ivory Coast. Some days , he's actually made it all the way past the turnstiles, into the chaging rooms, got on the pitch, played a match had a shower and then driven off at the end. I'm not sure but I think his name is Eboue or something. I'm surprised nobody has noticed cos he's shit at football.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:There's this one bloke I know that's been doing it since The Grove opened. A few of you might actually know him. He's a shortish bloke, black skin, from Ivory Coast. Some days , he's actually made it all the way past the turnstiles, into the chaging rooms, got on the pitch, played a match had a shower and then driven off at the end. I'm not sure but I think his name is Eboue or something. I'm surprised nobody has noticed cos he's shit at football.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Top fucking quality. 8)

Reg Niseth

Post by Reg Niseth »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:There's this one bloke I know that's been doing it since The Grove opened. A few of you might actually know him. He's a shortish bloke, black skin, from Ivory Coast. Some days , he's actually made it all the way past the turnstiles, into the chaging rooms, got on the pitch, played a match had a shower and then driven off at the end. I'm not sure but I think his name is Eboue or something. I'm surprised nobody has noticed cos he's shit at football.
:lol: Think i know the bloke, hangs about with a taller black bloke, though not seen him the last couple of games.

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

I have at Members Day - there's always a bloke handing out free tix, go up to him and say your card doesn't work and he gives you a paper one.