Blaming Cesc for Arsenal's woes

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nice_Guy

Blaming Cesc for Arsenal's woes

Post by Nice_Guy »

Good article in my view. Written by Simon Heald on Football 365...

The scapegoats for Arsenal's recent travails have been many;

Arsene Wenger's parsimony, William Gallas' flakiness, Eduardo's injury, David Dein's departure and Nicklas Bendtner's haircut have all got the blame. Yet, curiously, no one seems willing to point a finger at the central figure in Arsenal's slide from the pinnacle of English football - Cesc Fabregas.

Fabregas has been an Arsenal regular for more than four years now. And apart from a fortunate FA Cup final win in which he played a peripheral role, he has won nothing. It's time he shared in the flak.

I'm not talking simply about Fabregas' current form - although that is appalling. At the moment, Denilson Neves is attempting, and failing, to carry the Spaniard in Arsenal's midfield. Fabregas is off the pace, he's giving the ball away, he is slowing Arsenal's game down, he is not tackling, he is not scoring.

This, to be fair, is a rare lapse in the Catalan's standards, and one from which he will undoubtedly emerge.

But more troubling for Arsenal supporters will be the mounting evidence that Arsene Wenger's great philosophy-shift has singularly failed. In 2005, he entrusted the future of the club to a prodigiously-talented but diminutive and one-paced teenager - and thought he could build a European dynasty around Cesc and many more like him.

So far, all he's done is concede Arsenal's status as English football's standard-bearers - a standing he'd worked so brilliantly to achieve.

Arsenal's change of direction is almost certainly more a consequence of Wenger's frustration at perennial Champions League exits than any lack of finance.

Exhilarated by Arsenal's unbeaten league triumph in 2004, Wenger was bitterly disappointed with what followed in 2005. The surrender of the league crown was one thing - Chelsea's emergence as improbably big spenders somewhat softened that blow.

But the tame exit to Bayern Munich in the last 16 of the Champions League inflicted a huge dent in Wenger's pride. The 3-1 defeat in the Olympiastadion was a particular embarrassment, when Arsenal were tormented by Pizarro and could have been humiliated if Torsten Frings hadn't passed up a sitter at 3-0.

Time and again, a style of football that seemed the height of sophistication when compared to the primitive approach still widely favoured in the Premier League, failed to come up to the mark in Europe.

Clubs with resources more modest than Arsenal - the likes of Valencia and Deportivo la Coruna - had consistently inflicted chastening Euro reverses.

Around that time Wenger admitted; "I won't be fulfilled if we don't win the Champions League. If we go out of the Champions League, I'll beat myself up and feel really upset. Unfortunately, I do that every season."

In the emergence of Fabregas towards the end of that campaign, Wenger saw the midfield pivot that could finally allow Arsenal to control the tempo of a big European tie.

He backed that instinct by letting Patrick Vieira jump ship that summer, and added to the mix the mesmeric ball-retention abilities of Alex Hleb, a comrade undoubtedly on Fabregas' wavelength, but equally as lightweight.

Almost at once the Arsenal way changed. What characterised Arsenal's championship-winning sides under Wenger better than the lightning break? Think of Patrick Vieira's marvellous charge from box to box in the title clincher at White Hart Lane in 2004. Or remember the stirring Anelka-led blitz that blasted four past Blackburn in half an hour as Wenger closed on his first title in 1998.

Vieira and Gilberto, and Edu, Petit and Grimandi before them, were so often the launch-pad for these swift raids, breaking up play high up the pitch and swiftly releasing the likes of Bergkamp or Pires in advanced positions, who could, in turn, supply the likes of Henry around them.

It was power play that didn't always translate to the big European nights, where cannier opponents didn't give the ball away quite so easily under Arsenal pressure and kept their powder try to capitalise once Arsenal had punched themselves out and tired in the second half.

Frustrated with continued failure on his personal Holy Grail, Wenger was seduced by Fabregas' embodiment of the Barcelona way. He knew the Catalan's gifts would allow Arsenal control big games like they never did before.

Furthermore, he was captivated by the possibilities of Fabregas' youth - sure the best way to shape a dominant side around him would be to source more prodigies with none of the bad habits old pros bring to the party. So Walcott, Diaby, van Persie, Eboue, Adebayor and the rest arrived as cogs in a grand scheme that would craft the Ajax of the noughties.

Where once Arsenal would go box to box in two passes and four seconds, now they might take 25 and 60. Ball retention has become almost as important as goals. In truth, the new way has improved European performances - the PSV exit in 2007 apart, after which Wenger knew Henry was no longer in his long-term plans.

But domestic form has suffered and shorn of any experience to lean on around him, Fabregas has finally wilted under the weight of expectation.

Oft portrayed as the racist buffoon to Wenger's sophisticate, veteran Spanish coach Luis Aragones handled the starlet's promotion to senior ranks rather more sensibly than the Frenchman - allowing him to work his magic in substitute cameos without the pressure of carrying a nation's hopes.

His replacement Vicente del Bosque has continued this policy, apparently still unsure if Fabregas can be relied upon to knit together a solid unit for 90 minutes.

And as Arsenal list along, it's ironic that another Spaniard is at the helm of the side playing football as close as anything to Wenger's old way of doing things.

Now that Rafa Benitez has taken the handbrake of his Liverpool team somewhat, at least domestically, his powerful unit built around the pace of Torres and a tough-tackling, swash-buckling midfield brings to mind Wenger's first Arsenal side in 1998.

Most Arsenal fans would swap all the ball retention in Europe for their place at the top of the table. And maybe they'd even swap Fabregas.

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

blame who you like - the players are not good enough - CESC will have the sense at the end of the season to fuck off back to Espana - and Wenger will replace him with Ramsey

Nice_Guy

Post by Nice_Guy »

Thought it was an interesting take on the situation. I remember the days when we just couldnt win in Europe but were consistently top 2 in the Prem. Now weve gone the other way.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Fair points raised in that article. Cesc has not been great this season. And he wasn't great for a chunk of last season either.

It seems Wenger's great "youth" experiment has indeed failed. I know people will retort with "but it is still ongoing"... if so, WHEN do we judge him and the experiment?? He has gotten rid of all the 04 team and we have fluked one FA cup since then. When do we say "That's it - the experiment failed"?? After another 5 years without a trophy? :?

I'm not pretending I have the answers and I'm not saying "Wenger out".
I love AW for what he has done for us, but surely a club is judged by it's success and ultimately that success is represented by trophies - something we are lacking badly over the last 3 years, and maybe 4 years come next May... :shock:

augie

Post by augie »

It isnt that cesc has failed wenger or indeed Arsenal but more that wenger has failed cesc. You dont have a talented artist like cesc and expect him to do the dirty work as well as having our whole game plan based around his attacking skills :banghead: As monkey rightly said, if cesc has any sense he will fcuk back to barcelona in the summer and join a club that is serious about winning instead of just becoming the worlds greatest nursery :cry:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Interesting angle by the article, and yes it is true that Arsenal went from being the club of Vieira and Henry to the club of Cesc.

But our decline is far more complicated than that!

Whatever off field reasons you can mention, the current priorities must be to strengthen the spine of the team.

no. 1 is Perry Groves....

Post by no. 1 is Perry Groves.... »

good article and not far off the mark in my opinion.

Particularly the point about the amount of passes from box to box. We do seem a bit pedestrian in our build up play recently.

wlchuccc

Post by wlchuccc »

Good article!
augie wrote:It isnt that cesc has failed wenger or indeed Arsenal but more that wenger has failed cesc. You dont have a talented artist like cesc and expect him to do the dirty work as well as having our whole game plan based around his attacking skills :banghead: As monkey rightly said, if cesc has any sense he will fcuk back to barcelona in the summer and join a club that is serious about winning instead of just becoming the worlds greatest nursery :cry:
Agree with you totally. But still Cesc needs to show that once he wears the Arsenal shirt, he needs to give everything to the club in every game he plays. So far I don't see that it happens from him this season

xDAVEYx

Post by xDAVEYx »

no. 1 is Perry Groves.... wrote:good article and not far off the mark in my opinion.

Particularly the point about the amount of passes from box to box. We do seem a bit pedestrian in our build up play recently.
i remember steve coppell once saying the most dangerous thing to do against arsenal was to get a corner. we used to be feared and its all history now :(

fabregas is a great player but great players need quality to play their gamemany forget the role that pires, bergkamp, vieira and even wiltord and reyes played in MAKING thierry henry, without them what player would henry have become?

the only problem i have with fabregas is that he doesnt seem to care at the moment, its all well and good knowing that he will return to barcelona, but it would be nice if he earned his astonomical pay for his last season as a deity. at barcelona he will not be so reveared amongst xavi and iniesta, hleb and messi. these are the type of players the boy needs, not ramsey, wilshere, eboue and denilson. its laughable what wenger fields and claims can challenge for the league. anyone who SERIOUSLY thinks we can win the champions league really needs to look at the quality of the opposition and the 'quality' le boss considers worthy to wear the red and white. who are our big players? adebayor? van persie? walcott?!

we're a ghost of what we once were and with the money involved at the top level these days, it will be astronomically tough to achieve what we once had. im sorry it all turned into a bit of a rant but its good to get it off my chest.

badbeatbob

Post by badbeatbob »

I totally agree with your points of veiw.
The sooner Wenger wakes up and realises that we need to buy for today( defensive midfilder/centre half) and not for tomorrow the better or the quality players like cesc will go elsewhere, we dont want our club to become a feeder club for europe elite.