Why Pay More AT Arsenal ?!!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Chunky The Gooner

Why Pay More AT Arsenal ?!!

Post by Chunky The Gooner »

I didnt know what headline to put this under so this was the best one I could think of. Every season (dont asked me why!) Im one of the thousands how has to have the new shirt , the new training shirt and any other stuff that Arsenal and Nike decide to bring out with the Gunners logo on it.
However about a month ago I bought a white short sleeve training shirt in a sports shop called soccerworld. There are loads of them around the country Im told. The top was £20.99 which is a result considering the extra material with me being a extra extra large! The other result was it was sponsor free. Now I understand whoever our sponsors are they pay vast sums of money and are entitled to have their name or product on the tops. But don't the tops look a lot better with just the Arsenal logo and even a nike swoosh?
When I was a kid Arsenal had just signed the JVC deal and I remember in the first season in the shop you could buy the shirt or you could buy the sponsored JVC one for Im sure it was £1 more per shirt! (somebody correct me if im wrong please!)
Anyway Ive drifted away now! The training top was not in the Arsenal shop at the time , Why? How can a shop have Arsenal merchandise before the club?! I was at the Sheffield United game yesterday and there was the white top in there priced at £28 . The official home shirt I bought on day of release for £31 The club wanted £40? Notice the pattern here? .
Before all the copyright and mega merchandising deals took over Arsenal used to put signs up and annouce "Please buy the merchandise from the official shops" Yes and get shafted in the process. If thats the case then put the prices down to what the other shops are charging.
My last gripe was when I went into the club shop I noticed as I was leaving the store the new merchandise catalogue (see I dont learn!) But it was not on display but underneath the counter at the tills. I asked the girl for one who looked at me like Id robbed her. The cheek of it too is that they have put £1 on the top corner of it as well! Just before we went into the ground my brother wanted a catalogue. He was at another checkout and got the same response! Whats going on? We can charge you much more money than other local sports shops for the same stuff but dont you dare ask for our secret catalogues under the counter!!
The final nail in the coffin for me was when I got to my seat I flicked through the catalogue and found some nice t'shirts and not one of them was available in XXL !!!!

gunner67

Post by gunner67 »

I know what you mean chunky, best bet tho would be to buy yourself a retro top and then you don't have to buy the new kit every year or two years.

Chunky The Gooner

Post by Chunky The Gooner »

Gunner 67!

Cheers , I got the classic 70's home and 71 Cup Final shirts as well . You can beat 'em ! In my house somewhere Ive even got the old green and blue away one socks and all !!!