Faith

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Rob Admin
Site Admin

Faith

Post by Rob Admin »

I've supported Arsenal since I was able to grasp the concept of following a team. The highlights in the early years of being a fan were when our top scorer Ian Allison reached double figures (11 goes if I recall correctly) and beating Liverpool in 1987 which left me in tears of disbelief. I've seen the hard time although I know it's been a lot worse.

So why is it that for the first time since I can remember we have a game approaching this weekend, I know we are away to Man City but I've no idea on which day or at what time we're playing. Every other weekend I've lived since I was kid has revolved around the kick-off time of our up-coming game.

I can honestly say that since around 1998 I've had absolute belief that we're going to win every single game that we play. I've never gone into a game vs. United fully expecting to lose as I did 2 weeks ago - we got lucky with a freak result.

How has it got to be like this? New stadium, apparently with money to spend, capable of beating any team in the world on our day, yet also just as likely to lose to Stoke, Villa, Fulham or any other equally poor team. Long-term injuries one after another, the problem just seem to mount and mount.

Am I losing the faith, I've not felt this low about the team since the slump at the end of the Graham era. We're seemingly in a sound position as a club but it feels like we're going backwards.

Rob.

wlchuccc

Post by wlchuccc »

Rob, same here, I wish I didn't buy the ManCity Tickets though....

Nice_Guy

Post by Nice_Guy »

Well you know what, thats football.

No team has a God given right to win anything. Things are low because weve been graced with such high's in the past decade. Its times like this when the supporters need to do just that, support.

If your only interested when were winning then footballs not the game for you. Im off to City on Sat with the same enthusiasm as ever. I do it for love of the Arsenal, not just for results.
Last edited by Nice_Guy on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

REB

Post by REB »

i was never the most optimistic person ( no really :lol: } but i know where you are coming from, the stick i get from the customers over arsenal has got worse and i have no fight to give back and now find myself agreeing with them :cry:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

It is a long transition phase.

I do not expect things to be fully resolved this season.

1.) It was an inevitable consequence of the reduced finances available for the player transfer budget, that resulted from building the new stadium.

Then factor in -

2.) Foreign Businessmen buying Clubs like they were off the peg suits at M+S, leading to boardroom speculation

3.) And leading to huge instant spending power at Chelsea and Man Utd and Man City

4.) Credit Crunch

5.) Club Vice Chairman/Manager's closest confidante being sacked from the board

6.) Two successive captains who appear to have not been great leaders in the way the previous few have

Yet on the bright side:

1.) Clichy, Sagna, Djourou, Cesc (we hope!), Nasri, Walcott, Wilshere, Ramsey, Vela, Gibbs, and hopefully Eduardo.

2.) Money to arrive from sale of Highbury property and land to south of stadium.

3.) New stadium and training grounds already built and functioning.

We just have to take the bad with the good and see this phase through.

Rob Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rob Admin »

Nice_Guy - it's got nothing to do with winning. Read my post agian and you'll see what I've said regarding the lean times. If we were to fall on genuine hard times, then yes I agree that is when we need support, a real support. I was there for the United game and couldn't have given any more to the team throughout the 90 minutes encouraging the team and feeling like a I actually contributed (as niave as that may seem) to the win. The net result was negated vs. Villa so lamely and pathetically the following week.

If we were bottom of the league and skint then fair enough you'd accept it, put up and support the team. Howver this is not the case, we're in the highest grossing stadium in the world, apparently with lots of cash yet we're clearly lacking in every department execpt perhaps up front. This I feel may have something to do with blind faith and a stubborn man at the top?

Calo

Post by Calo »

dont worry I think im being lined up to be the new boss

I am top in football manager 2009 and still in all competicians

sorry im not on here much now

its jan and ive just signed Hunterleer £17M

RVP was a pain too tempermental and offer I couldnt refuse sold to Madrid £28M

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Frey buy in Aug was a great asset - saves all shots going almost

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Nice_Guy wrote:Well you know what, thats football.

No team has a God given right to win anything. Things are low because weve been graced with such high's in the past decade. Its times like this when the supporters need to do just that, support.

If your only interested when were winning then footballs not the game for you. Im off to City on Sat with the same enthusiasm as ever. I do it for love of the Arsenal, not just for results.
cliche after cliche, after.. blah blah. :roll:

If you think fans are disillusioned just because we're not winning trophies, then you've seriously missed the point.

Fans care about 1 thing.... PROGRESS!

That's why you get happy Hull fans, and happy Villa fans... and what have they won?? f*ck all.

Don't get me wrong.. I've far from lost faith, but I do understand what Rob - and MANY others - are going through.

Nice_Guy

Post by Nice_Guy »

If you were losing the faith because you have other commitments or you werent enjoying football anymore then fair play that can happen.

But your point seems to be that Wenger not spending money has resulted in your passion going. If you want money spent thus equalling success then Chelsea are worth a look in.

The day will come when a take over by Usmanov/Kroenke goes through, and Wenger will leave. The next guy will probably spend £15m+ on players. Maybe your passion will return then.....

Irish Gooner

Post by Irish Gooner »

Rob you mentioned this.
"I've never gone into a game vs. United fully expecting to lose as I did 2 weeks ago - we got lucky with a freak result."

I don't believe this part. What about a few years ago when we played them at Old Trafford with the bare bones. Luzhny and Stephanovs were the CBs.
We were thumped 6-1.

Did you honestly expect to get anything out of that game? :lol:

Nice_Guy

Post by Nice_Guy »

g88ner wrote:

If you think fans are disillusioned just because we're not winning trophies, then you've seriously missed the point.

That's why you get happy Hull fans, and happy Villa fans... and what have they won?? f*ck all.

Don't get me wrong.. I've far from lost faith, but I do understand what Rob - and MANY others - are going through.
Disillusioned is fine but when people say things like "i dont know what day were playing" what kind of support is that? I want the best for my club like anyone does but Im not losing all hope because times are looking a bit tough.

I dont want it to sound like Im having a pop at robburne because clearly he feels passionate enough about the club to write the post he did. We need the robburnes & g88oners to get behind the team at this time. The players out on the pitch this Saturday will be representing Arsenal FC. Its not their fault the Manager has bought then picked them. Arsene Wenger has done enough in football to make me believe he knows what he's doing. Keep the faith people & the good time will return

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Nice_Guy wrote:I dont want it to sound like Im having a pop at robburne because clearly he feels passionate enough about the club to write the post he did. We need the robburnes & g88oners to get behind the team at this time. The players out on the pitch this Saturday will be representing Arsenal FC. Its not their fault the Manager has bought then picked them. Arsene Wenger has done enough in football to make me believe he knows what he's doing. Keep the faith people & the good time will return
g88ner is fully behind the team, don't worry :wink: :lol:

tinpot lane

Post by tinpot lane »

Nice_Guy wrote:
g88ner wrote:

Disillusioned is fine but when people say things like "i dont know what day were playing" what kind of support is that? I want the best for my club like anyone does but Im not losing all hope because times are looking a bit tough.

I dont want it to sound like Im having a pop at robburne because clearly he feels passionate enough about the club to write the post he did. We need the robburnes & g88oners to get behind the team at this time. The players out on the pitch this Saturday will be representing Arsenal FC. Its not their fault the Manager has bought then picked them. Arsene Wenger has done enough in football to make me believe he knows what he's doing. Keep the faith people & the good time will return
great post ng, nice to hear some positivity for a change :barscarf:

Rob Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rob Admin »

It does nto have to be the Chelsea extreme of spending money.

Clearly Wenger wants to win with a team of players he has nutured and that would be an amazing achievement but it is all tro painful to see that he is being plan stubborn, we've been found out and we look stetched and ready to collpase. Sure he young team of kids can match any team on a one-off match but they're mentally fragile, football is all about confidence and we have very little at the moment which suggests a possible collapse and slide, then Cesc will be off and we're back to the mid 90's......

Are you satisfied to have been on the verge of dominating the Premiership, reaching the CL final in Paris and then within 3 years be losing to team we once beat with ease.

My main thrust is why and how has this happened...... how has this come to pass. I'm kind of past the blind faith bit, it's all to easy to say "get behind the team" but we're just sweeping the real issue aside in the name of faith in Wenger. I'm not suggesting we get rid of him, that is absured and frankly you'd have to be sick in the head to want to see him go.

...and the 6-1 - I went into that game thinknig we'd win!

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

I lost my rag after the second Villa goal last Saturday and shouted a load of abuse at Wenger. Two blokes behind me told me to get behind the team or go and sit with the Villa fans. In my state of mind, I told them to F... off but almost straight away knew they were right and apologised- to them that is, not the boss, he was too busy during the match! The truth is that there are a lot of us that have seen and lived through the crap years of the mid 90s and remember the depression that the last days of GG cast over the club. I for one feel that we are sitting in a lot better position now than then but in the back of my mind there lingers this doubt that Wenger will get us out of this.
I have this fear that the game has moved too fast for Arsenal FC in in recent years and that the board, boss, money men etc can't or won't face the facts and that we will regress more in the next couple of years. Liverpool had a similar problem 15-20 years ago when we, manure and Blackburn came out of the pack to overhaul their dominance and domestic reputation. It's taken them nearly 20 years to get a team together that can seriously have a run at the Championship and unless AFC respond, we may end up trecking down a similar path. If you look at the mousers over the last decade, they have had a lot of crap players that wouldn't really cut it anywhere big and I am seriously worried that we are falling that way too.
As it stands we are nowhere near able to challenge the other 'big' clubs plus Man city and if you look at the Hull, Villa, Stoke games, it seems that other teams have picked us out as a vunerable target, perhaps the weakest of the 'big 4' and the easiest scalp to take. The question that remains though is what happens next Jan and July in the transfer market if City go mad and buy, buy, buy. Will we be able to respond and make it into the Champions League? If the way things are at the moment is anyhting to go by, I'd say not likely at all.
Mind you, as Matthew 8:19 says: "I will follow you wherever you will go!" On second thoughts, things must be bad if I'm turning to the Bible for help!!