Its time to admit what is going on

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Wayne Sleep on the left and Michael Flatley on the right thats the wing partnership we have been waiting for. Can't see them costing much although downside is ....their nearing the end of their careers!

Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

Eboue Can't Defend wrote: I do however agree with the second half of that assessment. You did forget one thing though: Eboue first of all needs to learn how to defend!! :roll: :wink: :lol:
Can't disagree with you there and a couple of his shockers are fresh in the mind, but he is a midfielder by trade and there has been talk of him being moved back up there, and with the current medical of the excellent Bakary Sagna suggesting that his signing is imminent then maybe there is something in those rumours after all, cos with Sagna pushing to be the established first choice right back for France then there is no way he'd come unless he was guaranteed regular first team football!

augie

Post by augie »

Christ Belfast Boy you go into some long winded response but I would like to pull you up on a few points. Firstly you say that the list of players you mentioned would get into most premiership teams but would they be the 16 teams that finished below us ? Cesc aside I cannot with absolute certainty say that any of them would get onto the manure or chelski teams and thats not a knock on them cos I do rate them but it is an acceptance that there are teams and players out there that are better than ours and that fact is leading to the calls from fans to buy more quality players now. I mean that manure team was probably the worst team to win the league for some time but since then they have invested £50m already and are about to sign tevez as well. In the meantime we have lost our capt who is our all time leading scorer & icon of the team (even though he wasn't my favourite) and he has been replaced by a player from croatia that has no experience playing in this league and will take time to settle no matter what. To say this squad is paper thin would be an insult to the term paper thin and it is also clearly lacking quality in some areas. I hate when fans say that this is a period of transition and we are rebuilding cos this transition has already gone on for 2 full seasons as it is and as one former great Arsenal captain (TA) once said -"transition seasons are for small clubs. When you are at a big club you should be challenging for trophies every season." In football nowadays there is no tomorrow and everything is in the here and now - These quality prospects that we have coming through will only blossom at Arsenal if we are a big club challenging for trophies every season. How many of these prospects will stick around if wenger goes ? The fact is that nowadays 90% of our future stars are imported so we cannot expect them to have the same loyalty and affinity with the club as your Adams,Mersons & Parlours so if we are seen to be on a slide and a big european club comes knocking these boys will be off too. I cannot understand your blind loyalty to a board which has offered no long term commitment to the club anyway. By agreeing to a pact refusing to sell shares for 12 months is hardly aspiring confidence now is it and stinks to high hell of a man just waiting to receive his tax exile status before he f*cks off. What were his motives when he sold 1% of his shares earlier this year cos he didn't need the money then did he ? When you throw out a line like that it tells you if there are any interested buyers out there and when it showed that there was he received the added bonus of seeing the share price go up thus increasing the value of his remaining shares. I think you will also find that the £12m fee that you credit the board for spending on walcott is not accurate - the initial price was approx half that and will only rise to the amount when certain conditions are met such as goals,caps,trophies won etc. As I stated above the squad needs a big investment with 3 top quality additions that are top quality now as opposed to possibility of being so in the future. The problem with the massive rise our club has had under Wenger is that it means the potential fall is massive too and that slide has already begun and in the coming years, if we do not act now, we may see the club slide even further but by that stage the current board will probably have gone and will no longer care

mrmage

Post by mrmage »

Belfast Boy - if I ever meet you your bar tab's on me!

all this 4th place talk, remember that our two best strikers were out for ages. We could've been alot close to Chelski without this. And we scared the shit out of them in Cardiff. I think we could have gone on, but le boss's subs were wrong for me. Chelsea stuttered when without JT, and as we all know, have a globe-trotter team. Its all about mentality. If the team is quietly confident, then we'll do them. If we're doubting ourselves then we start losing at kick off.

Wengers interest in Sagna has revealed he agrees re Eboue, so he's strengthening.

Which team beat Man-Who twice? If Ronaldo had been injured they would have shat out. I feel everyone is panicking. Admittedly I'm in Sydney so not copping it from all sides by friends and colleagues to the face, but plenty on-line..

Every year we get wound up by the papers making us twitch. Le boss and the board keep it behind closed doors to keep the prices down. Which would you rather, £30M Ferdinand or £2M Toure? £2.5M Cesc or £18.5M Carrick?

The boss signs players with hunger, with ambition to use the chance to become a great player. A la TH, PV. Eduardo is going to be quality. Gallas is bitching cos he wants a final shot, he's won almost as much as TH. Tough shit, go play somewhere else. We all expected him to be solid as hell when he appeared last season, and he wasn't. I prefer Djourou!

If we come through this panic crisis that everyone is revelling in, wouldn't it be fucking sweet to come through without a Yank's business franchise responsible? I'm a Gooner til I die, but starting to really doubt all this money football bullshit. The only thing fully reliable in life is change, and we're going through it in a big way. Have to bite our lip and soldier on.

Looking forward to seeing more of Denilson, Bendtner & Walcott. Don't take the bait, we'll sail through this.

augie

Post by augie »

It's all very well talking about how we did last season without our top 2 strikers cos 1 of them has f*cked off so if our squad wasn't strong enough to cope last season how will it be strong enough to cope when all we have done is replaced 1 striker for another ? As bad as that is numberswise our new striker is new to the country and will naturally take time to settle so if the "van man" gets injured early doors we will be left behind again. Lets be honest with the exception of ade none of our other strikers have much prem league experience eitherand that compounded to a serious need for a goalscoring midfielder suggests repeats of last season. You say wenger obviously agree re eboue but I am not sure what he agrees with cos he rewarded him with a new contract only a few months ago so like me he must also feel that if he cuts out the theatrics then he will be a good player for us. Maybe we are all guilty of crying out for a big name player to lift morale but most fans agree that we need to make at least 3 more signings but these players would need to be ready to step up to the plate now and must have experience. You talk about wenger only signing players with hunger but i thought it is universally agreed that le boss can coach and get the best out of every player he has ever managed so surely he can instill that hunger ? That scenario is surely more preferable than making no more signings ? You may very well bemoan the direction that football is going with all the money and foreign ownership buy sadly my friend that is the way the game is gone. I am not saying that unless we go down the same route we will be left behind but we def need an injection of cash soon and the current board seem incapable/unwilling to cough up so what are our options then ? I have never come out pro kroenke but it makes me laugh that some fans have decided to oppose him without hearing his plans or intentions. We never had any problems with a foreign manager or with being the 1st team to have not 1 english player in our squad on a matchday but all of a sudden we are all xenaphobic and anti foreign ownership ? I trust David Dein without question and his work for our club over 20 years deserves that trust so if he thinks we need to change things at boardroom level then i for one am willing to listen. I believe 100% that if he had been negotiating with an english charlie the objections from some fans would not be there which suggests to me that there is an acceptance from fans that there is a need for a change at the top and if that is the case then we owe it to the club to listen to kroenke's plans

Leigh On Eea Gooner

Post by Leigh On Eea Gooner »

Can you tell me what Kroneke plans are please ?

Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

Ok I may go into a long winded response but at least I'm talkin sense, and my points are relevant and no matter how many words I write you still don't get it, and that's not to say that you have to agree with everything I say cos what would be the point of the forum if everyone did that but I'm wondering did you even read my posts before replying because I would like to pull you up on a few points -
You said that aside from Cesc you doubted that any of our first team would get into any teams except the ones below us yet I clearly wrote that Alex Ferguson when asked if he could rob one player from another team in the Prem who would it be replied without hesitation RvP and Ferdinand had said that Ade tortured him that day up at OT and I also said that after he signed an improved contract with us this summer his agent had said that Ade was happy to stay with us even tho several clubs had come in for him one of which was ManU!!!
Then you went on to say that we've replaced our capt. who, truth be told is not the player he was, with a player from Croatia with no experience of the Prem, but that ManU had already spent 50M on players, do you think that 2 kids from the hardly competitive and sunny climes of the Portuguese league are gonna slot straight in??? at least Dudu was Zagreb's capt. and has proved his character since leaving Brazil 9yrs ago when he was just 15! We have also now as I touched on in my previous post signed Bakary Sagna who is France's first choice right back!
You say that our squad is paper thin and everyone is leavin us behind but yet you say the only reason we did the double over the scum was cos they were the worst team to win the title for ages......... which is it???
When TA made those remarks I highly doubt he was using them in a context of a club who has just completed a 400M stadium project!
As regards Walcott's transfer I can't believe you're bein so picky I am well aware that we paid 5M for Theo with 7 to be added conditionally that's why I said in my post that AW went to PHW and asked him TO FUND A 12M DEAL to bring him to us, when the point I was trying to make was that even tho our Chairman thought it was an outrageous amount of money for such a young player he still backed AW 100%!
This touches on another thing that I've been trying to get thru to you in that if your annoyance is due to us not spendin enough for your tastes, then your argument is with AW not the board! Now I have made it clear twice on this thread that I do not take every word the board sez as gospel which is much the same how I regard almost everyone else, nor am I an apologist for them but they are taking some highly unwarranted flak IMO!
I mean it sounds like you don't want them to stay but if they leave you will see that as them having fucked off - you can't have it both ways!
As far as your last post goes, you are again forgetting that we have been strengthened and will be again before the window closes, our youngsters are no longer wet behind the ears, and our new stadium is startin to feel like home!
We we're also relying to much on TiTi and he in turn was proving a negative influence when things weren't goin well exactly the opposite of what your capt. should do which is why he was shipped out!
Eboue is a far better midfielder than a defender and you could tell that not only was he not comfortable at right back but was also not happy!
Finally as has already been said hundreds of times everybody loves a signing and that is what this whole thread is about - but the truth is, there is nothing dodgy going on and it's there for everyone to see - the bottom lines is we have spent a lot of money and because of that Le Boss has called upon his unrivalled knowledge to build a young team, for which we have already paid the price of 3 barren years, but Cesc and co. are now at the forefront of our football factory's production line and are ready to come of age!
If you think about it, it's pretty easy to see why AW has gone down this route ....... create a young team that when it reaches it's physical peak and they have all been taught Wenger's Way should still be young enough and injury free to theoretically take on all comers!
Well before this team starts to get past it's sell by date there will be a steady flow of youth players coming thru so that we will be able to keep the perfect blend of age and experience all taught the same way, which can be built upon with the key signings - think positive dude :wink:

BTW mrmage I like your style, telling me you'll pick up my bar tab if we ever meet and then casually and without a hint of shame, revealing that you live down under - brilliant :lol:

I Hate Hleb

WHY IS KROENKE DEAL ALL WONKY?

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Leigh On Eea Gooner wrote:Can you tell me what Kroneke plans are please ?
ANSWER THE QUESTION, DAMN YOU!! :lol: :lol: :wink:

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

I have heard hes planning a holiday in the Maldives!

:lol:

U.F.G Anfield '89

Post by U.F.G Anfield '89 »

here are kroenkes plans (don't ask how i got a copy) i think he's trying to build some sort of robot.

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

/\ /\ /\
Oh no U.F.G. please tell me he's not planning on buying Peter Crouch to bring the Robot Dance to The Arsenal!!!!!

augie

Post by augie »

Belfast Boy we have not signed Sagna yet or at least it has not been officially announced. You say that Eboue is more comfortable on the wing than at full back but surely you are not baseing this statement on 1 end of season game at pompey ? You claim to be talking sense (inferring of course that I aint) buy that comes down to down to opinions and 1 man's sense is another man's shite. I totally agree with you re ade's performance at OT where he was the best player on pitch but lets be honest most fans would pick RVP & Eduardo as their starting pair up front next season so we can hardly call him world class can we ? He always works his nuts off for the team which I truely appreciate but he hasn't, to this point, been prolific in front of goal. I also know all the stats regarding our games versus the other top 3 teams last season which we had the best record the league is run over 38 games not just 6 games. We all know that on our day last season our 1st 11, if fit, would be a match for any team but that we had serious problems when it came to a lack of strength in depth which is obviously why fans like me are crying out for extra bodies to be brought into the squad now. We are in serious danger of becoming a team that can rise for the big games but are unable to do so over 38 games - in other words we are in danger of becoming a cup team which was a big factor in the demise of George Graham as manager. It is true that manure have spent major money on young players from a minor league but the difference is that because of the strength & experience of their panel they can afford to ease these players in slowly which is a luxury we cannot afford. I totally stand over my comments that last seasons manure team was the worst team to win a league for many a year but they probably realised it too and have spent the summer trying to increase the quality of their squad as have our other rivals but can we say the same ? I agree 100% with your comments re henry and at no stage did I knock either the skill or character of Eduardo but I said that we have to be fair to the player and be prepared to allow him a reasonable amount of time to settle in as we had to do with DB10, pires,henry etc. At what point did I say that I would have a go at the board if they left ? I'll lay my cards on the table here...I 100% want the current board to f*ck off as soon as we find a suitable buyer and I never disguise that feeling. I acknowledge that their work on the stadium project has been 1st class but thats where it ends for me. The board that exists at the moment have no clue about football and sacked the only man on the board that did. Our etonian chairman has opened his mouth so many times in recent years only for ridiculous crap to flow out and, lets be honest here, would you trust this board to headhunt, interview and hire a suitable replacement for Wenger should he decide to leave ? I have not accused them of doing anything dodgy but do believe that they are either outdated or incompetent of running the football side of a club in this era. We cannot allow ourselves to believe that in 2 or 3 years time all our kids will be at their peak and everything in the garden will be rosy again because football does not work like that - right now we need some experienced players to aid in the development of our kids to bring them on so that we can convince the manager, current players and fans that we are a major force now and the need for our players to move elsewhere for trophies would be negated

Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

Ok Augie lets think about putting this to bed, cos I respect your passion and this could go on for ever and I'm supposed to be on holiday, Jees I only got involved in this thread intially to remind everyone that we have always been very stealthy in the transfer market and that last year we completed 3 deals virtually at midnight on the last day, Baptista, Denilson and Gallas with the latter famously done practically as the clock was chiming, plus another Transfer Budget thread is already in full flow, but I warn you they do not share your pessimism, but I s'pose only time will really tell!
I am basing the Eboue statement on which I said he was a much better midfielder than defender purely on the fact that you don't have to look back too far when everyone was singin his praises and sayin that AW had uncovered another gem because he was extremely quick skilful and could cross a ball something which we were cryin out for, but it became obvious that he was not happy playin there and his form dropped and he started actin up, and it became clear that he either could not or refused to defend, so he couldn't be any worse in the middle of the park - that's all!
I also never said that Ade was world class, I was simply making you aware that Cesc is not the only player we have who is coveted by the rest of the top 4 as you stated, RvP is also in this bracket, and no-one should ever forget that the very definition of the word team means that the whole always adds up to more than the sum of the parts!
Also lets get something straight I, like you would love to see more signings to increase the depth of our squad, but I refuse to pander to the doom mongerers and have no doubts that we are going to see a major improvement this year and I don't think AW is finished spending yet!
As far as the board is concerned, I know DD was THE man and I have already made it clear that I want him back, in fact I actually met him in Prague the nite TiTi broke Wrighty's record, he was on his mobile on the team bus and when I leaned in he ended the call so that he could come out and meet me and my mates, he was well chuffed when he heard where we were from and even posed for several photos!
Now make no mistake I know damn well that PHW would've never done that and what DD has achieved for our club cannot be overestimated and of which bringin AW was only a small part of, BUT......... if he had had his way we would now be drinkin our pre/post match pints out on the M25 or somethin and that, which I hope you will agree with, would've been an absolutely unmitigated disaster!
So altho everyone knows that PHW and co. are stuffy so and so's it is their old school views which coupled with DD's feel for big business which has got us to were we are now without selling our soul, something which this club prides itself in as probably one of the most traditional clubs in the world!
So maybe you could be pretty ruthless and say thanks very much you've served your purpose now fuck off, which is what I sensed you wanted to do by the way you spoke regarding Danny Fizman, who is a fan but also a businessman, but what do think Kronke's motives are for wanting to buy our club, he's certainly not doin it out of the goodness of his heart or his love for all things Arsenal!
There is still a high probability that it'll happen anyway and DD certainly had that Arnie look about him the day he left, and has tellingly turned down a shitload of subsequent offers, but don't think that with a takeover that evrything will be rosy either, remember ManUre were taken over much to the horror of their fans and the Chavs and L'pool were both virtually bankrupt and had no choice but to grab their ankles!
Finally Augie me old china, there's a damn good chance that this team is gonna achieve things, not least cos AW sez so but because just think of how many players we have let go who are now pursuing successful careers at other clubs outside the top four and in it, and there is also no guarantee with all the signings that our rivals have made regardless of the vast sums spent!

augie

Post by augie »

At least now Belfast Boy we can say that we are starting to sing somewhat from the same sheet. I agree with a lot of your last thread actually but I still feel that this season we cannot wait until the last few days of August to do our wheeling & dealing as it allows the new players no time to get used to The Arsenal Way. I read a post from GoonerTino (i think) on another forum where he stated that anyone with half a brain can see this squad needs re-inforcements and, while I agree that we should not be held to ransom by either players or clubs, in the meantime many good players are being snapped up by our rivals. I am not saying we should buy big name players for the sake of it but we do need to sign quality players that are ready to step into the team and do a job now and not just sometime in the future (queresma would be my choice). I admit that I am a ruthless b*stard when it comes to my opinions of the current board and sometimes let my frustration run amok in my postings but I really feel that this board without DD is like a car without an engine...useless. They have, I admit, contributed a lot to Arsenal over the years but, in much the same way we look at players, we cannot allow ourselves to get sentimental about the board and keep them past their expiry date. I agree that DD's thoughts on the new stadium would not have been my choice but he probably viewed the potential trouble ahead as a serious knock back for the development of the team in the coming years and to that degree he was right. However DD was the backbone of this club and we all loved the consideration the man gave each and every player, staff member and fans as showed in your meeting with him and his loss was as black a day for the club as I can remember. I eagerly await his return but under no circumstances do I feel that all will be well in the garden again once he returns. It may be that when he returns that things will continue as they are now but I would feel a lot more reassured that DD would be back in charge because I think it would please AW (we all want that) & the players and I would feel that the man that knows the game would be making those crucial decisions again.

mrmage

Post by mrmage »

Glad to see you've found a little compromise fellas. Can see Augies point about experience, but Fab, RVP, Kolo have all seen a few seasons now. And adding Gallas for experience didnt do too much. Still think we can do much better than last season, just need some luck. & Adebayor will be better this season. He was excellent at home to Pompey too..

I do wish we would turn around and say Fab IS NOT FOR SALE and end this bollocks. Talk about wind up. They do delight in winding us up, then so would you if your team was 100M + on paper and some kids still turned up and humbled them.

Belfast Boy - I seem to remember you're a season ticket holder. I will be back on holiday at some point next year and will definitely see a game, still got my red membership! So will be true to my word. By the looks of it you'll be on the forum plenty, so dont forget! Me Ma's from Belfast, family are all Celtic or bloody Manure tho..

Also RaM if you read this, did you get my PM?