Its time to admit what is going on

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

GunnerTino wrote:Sorry Belfast Boy,don't buy your argument,do you honestly think
that Chelsea & the Mancs will stand still and allow themselves to fall
behind in the 2 to 3 years you say it will take our "young" side to come to fruition? I don't think so,you also said that the Mancs had a very young side that came through together,but was helped by some key signings,which is exactly not what we are doing to help the talented group of young players we have.Surely you can see that?
Don't you understand that Abramovich has more cash than Bill Gates and even he's no longer signing blank cheques to buy any more titles!
ManU bein the biggest club in the world and a merchandising monster have a licence to print money and yet for the second season running they have substantially increased their capacity to practically 80,000 AND increased their ticket prices by 3 or 4 times the rate of inflation!
What I said regarding our young guns, was that it was gonna take 2 or 3 yrs before they reach their physical peak as individual players, that does not mean it's goin to be that long before we click as a team and start winnin domestic silverware where AW has already delivered considerable success, but as I said in my previous post what we really want is a period of domestic domination and success in Europe, which the lack of, is what our enemies always point to as proof that we are not yet a truly great club!
It's my belief that AW is a true genius in every sense of the word and not only are we unbelievably lucky to have got him in our corner but he has earned many times over and deserves, our trust, because he is tryin to build something special, and nothing, I repeat NOTHING which is truly great is built without some sacrifice!
As for key signings, you're acting like we haven't signed anyone at all for the last three years..... case in point - who could've predicted the effect Schmeichel or Cantona would've had on ManU in the 90's??? - they are without doubt Taggart's most inspired signings to date and yet the both of them cost the grand total of 1.5M hardly earth-shattering, if you're the sort of person who equates the significance of a signing with the amount of money spent!
Ferguson has also wasted an absolute fortune on about 20 horrendous signings which were recently highlighted in the recent and very excellent open letter to ManU such as Jordi Cruyff, Taibi, Poborsky and of course the near 30M he spent on Veron these are mistakes that we cannot afford to make while in hock to the tune of nearly 300M ourselves!
On that note if you can spare the time I suggest you read the AST report on the Glazer loan currently propping up Utd cos it makes pretty scary reading even for someone who hates the mancs, I would hate to see our club in that position, in fact PHW made this comparison " if Stan Kronke had to borrow roughly 600M to buy our club and was expecting even a minimal 10% return on his money he would have to take 60M out of the club, where would that come from???" and don't forget there would be the interest on the loan as well!
Just one final thing, I remember AW on one of the end of season DVDs from a while back sayin that what he wanted was and this is verbatum "in 20, 30, 40, 50 yrs time people will look back and think there was some people back then who were not too stupid and helped Arsenal Football Club become a truly big club" so take out of that what you want cos altho the time frame mentioned might scare you it gives an insight in to how far ahead the man is lookin but I certainly don't think for 1 second that we are gonna remain trophyless in the meantime, I took that to mean that by that time he wants AFC to be THE biggest club in the world or ie joint 1st with say the Scum and Real (who were also bankrupt at the turn of the century and had to be baled out by their local govt to the tune of nearly 230M something I don't think Mr. Brown would do for us) and if we do get to that stage then it will definately take time, but right at this moment I am still proud and excited to be an Arsenal fan cos we are now respected the world over for our football, so it's just a matter of getting the balance of the team right but we all want silverware so I understand why you are frustrated, but think where we would be without AW, cos who we buy and how much we spend is all down to him and the board have always financially backed him 100%!
The hard facts are that while you might get someone else in who'll spend loads of money and effectively buy a title which we have lately accused the Chavs of doin what do we do after that, with the dramatic changes goin on at our club we simply cannot afford to lose AW, perfect or not!
Last edited by Belfast Boy on Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

In a years time we might find out 'where we would be without AW'.

What worries me is being left with a team of potential stars with a bloke in charge who cant make them realise their potential. Then losing the £30m champions league money each year making it harder to pay off the stadium leading to us dropping down to mid table mediocrity.

As has been said many times before knee jerk reactions aren't necessarily needed but something has to be done.

Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

Chopper wrote:In a years time we might find out 'where we would be without AW'.

What worries me is being left with a team of potential stars with a bloke in charge who cant make them realise their potential. Then losing the £30m champions league money each year making it harder to pay off the stadium leading to us dropping down to mid table mediocrity.

As has been said many times before knee jerk reactions aren't necessarily needed but something has to be done.

When I say "without AW" I mean some people seem to be calling for his head, not that he's gonna walk!!!
As far as the team goes he has control over everything including the purse strings, the new stadium and London Colney were all his idea, so why would he walk away with the job half done does he strike you as that sort of man???
Why would the board give him more money if they thought he was gonna walk out even Cesc, who as we all know said his Arsenal career is closely linked with AW's has been made vice capt and is sayin that he can't wait to get stuck in, can't you read between the lines and get past all the tabloid bullshit???
I mean all you should have to do is put the motives of the people who genuinely love the club to bits up against the cheap hacks and doom mongerers in the Arsenal hating press whose job it is to write headlines to make you buy their papers to make up your mind about what is really going on, cos if you genuinely live and breathe the club then you should have a greater insight than anyone who is not a fan like your workmates who love to hand out stick at the first sign of weakness and especially the fuckin press for the above reasons!

Drone

Interesting!!!!

Post by Drone »

I dont think that Big teams in England do need some players when they bught them, but im having an stupid thinking in my head that they buy them just that we can't by, because they are afraid from us, and probably they were so mutch scared during last decade so thay cant imagine an Arsenal of same strength again.
So, we need an Outsider like SS, or we hope the AW miracles work again.

Cause I cant do anything about da tem in Financial maner, i'm an manufacturer but still dont have millions.

augie

Post by augie »

:( Belfast Boy, I think I speak for the vast vast majority of Gooners everywhere when I say that we do trust AW implicitly but a growing % of fans, me included, do not trust this board. I think if the board came out and said all along that we have no funds and dealings will be light over the next few years we would probably accept it because we, the fans, have lived through lean times before and know we will again. I think you will find that the opinions of the players with be in stark contrast however because, unlike the fans who have a lifetime of support to give, players careers are short and the best players are highly motivated to win as much as possible in that time. Is it reasonable to expect high quality players like cesc to "waste" 3 or 4 years of a short career playing for a club that is no longer capable of challenging for honours ? You don't have to be a genius to figure out that in recent years we have seen more outgoings in transfer sales (both in quality & finance) than we have seen in incoming transfers. This season after loan repayments we are supposed to be £20m better off and that is without including the extra revenue that the overseas tv contract has brought in so like everyone else I am wondering where this cash is going ? For the last 2 season we have scraped 4th place due to the poor quality of our challengers more than our own performance and thanks to mr platini there will probably only 3 places available from prem league for the champs league from 2008/09 so where will that leave us ? All our opposition has strengthened in quality and only a blind man would deny that so we too must step up and most of us feel that the quality of this squad is not capable of doing this over a season and so we need an big injection of quality and fast. You have 2 choices here - you can either believe that AW is not just being a loyal employee when he agrees with the everything the board says but then ask yourself if he really is happy with the level of support from the board why has he allowed his contract situation become such a major factor in our off-season.

GunnerTino

Post by GunnerTino »

augie,totally agree!
Like I've said before,we don't need massive wholesale
changes,but the way the things are going 4th place
is definately the target we aim for and thats it.
Just two massive signings would get the juices flowing
again and make the rest sit up and take notice!

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Just two 'super super players' would do as thats what we were told,. we are not asking for anything unreasonable.

The finance is apparently in p;ace so whats happening.

In answer to Belfast Boy, no i don't believe AW will leave as this job is too good for him and he wouldn't get the same control elsewhere. I think the only time he will leave is retirement as even after over 10 years Arsenal is still a work in progress for him. The only doubt i have is TH comments given how close they are.

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

I aint read all this post as I frankly cannot be arsenaled!

There is a simple thing to remember here!

You can have potential all you like! Potential means not quite at its best yet! Or in other words 4th place!

If we want to be champions again we have to compete in the market place for the top quality signings! A few years ago every player was saying they want to come to the Arsenal! Hear them saying that now?

We are lacking in ambition end of story! If we want to make a serious challenge then we need to bring in the players that will make us feared again! Henry's Bergkamp's and Pires's need to be replaced with Robhino's Tevez's etc. This is not happening! How long are Cesc and Kolo going to wait for the club to bring in the quality they need around them? Not to long maybe!

Unless the club make a statement of intent soon then the signings we have made will become the statement of intent which is 4th is good enough!

Thats not good enough for me!

Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

augie wrote: Is it reasonable to expect high quality players like cesc to "waste" 3 or 4 years of a short career playing for a club that is no longer capable of challenging for honours ? You don't have to be a genius to figure out that in recent years we have seen more outgoings in transfer sales (both in quality & finance) than we have seen in incoming transfers. This season after loan repayments we are supposed to be £20m better off and that is without including the extra revenue that the overseas tv contract has brought in so like everyone else I am wondering where this cash is going ?
Augie you may think that the board are wrong about certain things, even I don't hang on to every word they say, but it's a bit harsh to label them untrustworthy when they took on the crucial and unbelievably mammoth Ashburton project, to keep the club in Islington, which, no secret is where most of our revenue is going!
Danny Fitzman sez that the 7 years of stress and sleepless nites it took to see the project thru to completion, put years on him, so I think it's pretty safe to assume these people genuinely love the club whereas Kronke cannot possibly love the club and there is absolutely no way he would've went to those lengths to keep us in Islington!
That's not to say that we should shut the door on anyone who wants to invest in the club and on reflection PHW now openly regrets his hasty comments but again as they proved with the Grove project those comments were probably borne from the fact that they are fans and as such, like us, are fiercely passionate and protective of the clubs interests!
Also do you not think that far be it from walking out Cesc Fabregas is now reaping the benefits of the fact we give youth a chance otherwise he knows full well he wouldn't have even got a look in which is why he took the tough decision to leave his native Barcelona at only 16 yrs of age and signed an 8yr deal to repay AW for showing faith in him!
He has made no secret that he wants to return to La Liga after his contract runs out which I for one have no problem with, have you not realised it is always the 30ish players who are getting itchy feet because they are literally in the twilight of their careers, and that, I fully understand - Gallas did not cross London to be part of a growing team and as far as TiTi is concerned I think it was a mutual separation - at best!
We all love Arsenal and that's why we're here and I am not an apologist for anyone but I can sense frustration, which again, is totally understandable, but it seem to be turning to blind panic, just because we have not splashed loads of dosh while our rivals are throwin their money about like drunken sailors, Torres, who is still unproven and IMO overrated is going to have to score an absolute shitload of goals for L'pool to justify a deal which cost them 50M +!
Listen lads I hope yous understand that nobody loves the transfer window more than me, I spend a small fortune on the papers even tho as we all know that the vast majority of it is bullshit, just to get a whiff of a signin, and the last one I got really excited about was Reyes over 4 yrs ago, but we all know how that turned out - as is widely evidenced by the national side's underachievement in international tournaments, the Spanish do not travel well!
I'm just tryin to get everyone to chill out a bit by remembering the following facts!
It's widely accepted that even if you do buy success it's always very short lived!
No Arsenal fan in their wildest dreams could have predicted how exciting an era this would become!
It's only ignorant arseholes who are actually calling for AW's head, and believe me I've heard them coming out of the ground, because the vast majority of supporters trust him implicitly and are prepared to give him time!
For those that are wondering where the money is going they only need to look to TNHOF in N7!
The board have said that there is money for AW to spend cos his transfer budget is separate and why would they lie when have never in the past, and are bound to know that no-one would blame them if we were a bit skint???
It's more likely to be that AW refuses to be held to ransom ie Ribery cos even in our most successful years out of the last decade we have never spent anywhere near what our rivals have spent and think of how many titles we would've had under our belts if t wasn't for the biggest and richest club in the world to be going thru an extraordinary purple patch with a core youth team that was built upon over the years!
Even our two most expensive signings in Reyes and Wiltord did not exactly become Arsenal legends even tho the latter scored the goal which secured the double at OT in 2002 which proves that money does not guarantee success!
There is absolutely no doubt that our club is going thru a critical phase at the moment, and that some are worried that we might fall too far off the pace, but AW has said one of his main reasons for building such a young side was they would adapt far more quickly to the new stadium and considering we didn't get beaten until Easter when other clubs have had nightmare seasons after a move seems to bear this out!
AW is the steady hand that we need to perform what is a fine balancing act and making expensive signings, which by the way gets everyone's juices flowing is a luxury we cannot afford, and as history proves we have never really needed!
I honestly believe that this is the season that AW is looking to, now that we're settled in a bit and the team has had plenty of first team starts under their belts, to decide where we are going and then he can tweak the team with those critical signings that every team does need, to start winning and to keep winning - There's only one thing we all know for sure, and that is - the greatest boss in this clubs history who is respected the world over for his knowledge and shrewdness is staking his reputation on his youngsters and is under no doubt at all that they are going to deliver!
Again lads I am very sorry for the overlong post :oops: but just like most of yous I live and breathe this club and I rejoice and suffer with every high and low but trust me considering the madness goin on around us we are very lucky to have AW and our board of which DD was the most vital member and I too want to see back!
Last edited by Belfast Boy on Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Red Carpet

Post by Red Carpet »

I haven't read all of Belfast Boys comments because its a bit long and I have the attention span of a small hyperactive child but it looks sound enough to me !!
No offence Belfast boy, but I'm at work .. you understand ..

thegrovegooner

Post by thegrovegooner »

well written Belfast boy. that was uplifting on properganderous proportions!! i totaly agree with you. with the added note that there is still about 7 weeks of the transfer window to go so don't panic about signings.

arsene knows.

Leigh On Eea Gooner

Post by Leigh On Eea Gooner »

Belfast Boy .. Top top postings . totally agree with all/most of your views.

GunnerTino

Post by GunnerTino »

Belfast Boy,this isn't a knee jerk reaction,its just a simple
honest oppinion of the current situation the club finds
itselef in.You say about the board not lying about funds
for transfers when quite clearly the money available to buy
has been affected,David Dein was always weary of the financial
impact the new stadium would have on us and I think that
along with the Kronke meetings led to him leaving the club.
You said that we've never been big spenders under Wenger
but you have to remember that when he arrived he had a
magnificent group of defenders and goalkeeper that saved
him at least £30 million, he also already had Bergkamp,Wright,Platt,
christ he even had the Romford Pele!! All players that saved him a fortune in the transfer market.He then bought in players to compliment them and the rest as they say is history.My gripe is that it is
obvious to everyone that has watched us for the last two seasons
that we have not got a stong enough squad to challenge for
the title.Its all well and good saying he won't be held to ransom
over players,but you can't be the only club to make a stand,
you'll just get left behind!
As I write this Sky Sports are reporting that Babble of Ajax is going
to Liverpool,add him to the list of players that could have been thrilling to watch!!

Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

GunnerTino wrote:Belfast Boy,this isn't a knee jerk reaction,its just a simple
honest oppinion of the current situation the club finds
itselef in.You say about the board not lying about funds
for transfers when quite clearly the money available to buy
has been affected,David Dein was always weary of the financial
impact the new stadium would have on us and I think that
along with the Kronke meetings led to him leaving the club.
You said that we've never been big spenders under Wenger
but you have to remember that when he arrived he had a
magnificent group of defenders and goalkeeper that saved
him at least £30 million, he also already had Bergkamp,Wright,Platt,
christ he even had the Romford Pele!! All players that saved him a fortune in the transfer market.He then bought in players to compliment them and the rest as they say is history.My gripe is that it is
obvious to everyone that has watched us for the last two seasons
that we have not got a stong enough squad to challenge for
the title.Its all well and good saying he won't be held to ransom
over players,but you can't be the only club to make a stand,
you'll just get left behind!
As I write this Sky Sports are reporting that Babble of Ajax is going
to Liverpool,add him to the list of players that could have been thrilling to watch!!
I never accused you or anyone else for that matter of taking knee jerk reactions, I also never said that our spending power was not affected, in fact I quite clearly said that you only have to look to the stadium, currently dominating the N7 skyline to see where our revenue is going!
But the board have stated over and over again that if AW comes to them for money for a player he'll get it but as Le Boss is well aware of the current financial situation and that he was the driving force behind the projects that are currently draining our finances then he's probably reluctant to do so!
For proof of this you only need look back as far as the Walcott deal, when AW asked PHW to fund a 12M deal for a player who was only just into long trousers our old school chairman nearly shat himself sayin that the whole world had gone mad, nevertheless as we all know AW got his money and Theo is now a Gooner!
You are right about one thing regarding DD, he was against the Grove from the very start, fearing that it could ruin the club but became increasingly sidelined as it became clear that Fizman and co. were doing an outstanding job in making the project a reality, but be under no illusions DD did not leave, he was removed, the reason being as you know, he was having talks with Kronke behind the board's back, but this was probably a bit of a sore point due to the fact that they had put an awful lot of work into completing what everyone said was impossible, and felt that the club was tryin to be sold out from under them, which led to a very heated debate in the boardroom on the day he "left"!
Of those players you mentioned how many of them featured when we went an entire season unbeaten and not by the method we nearly achieved it in '91 but by playin total football???
Are you aware that when the sums are done the famous back four you mentioned AND Seaman cost a grand total of 1.5M???
As far as Babel is concerned, yes I'd have loved to have seen either him or Huntelaar at the club but if he does go to L'pool it's cos AW didn't want him, or didn't think he was worth the price they were askin and he's well aware of the goin rate, in fact AW predicted that the transfer market was going to crash in 2002 which it did but not before ManU had paid Leeds 30M for Ferdinand, in fact if I remember rightly Ferguson had to explain his misjudgment before a shareholders meeting, so it certainly was then a case of Arsene knows!
On a final and I hope brighter note just remember the bottom line is we have some fantastic players, a youth team which is the envy of world football, and before you accuse me of havin delusions of grandeur those are not my words, who are on the verge of becoming great!

EBOUE - not got a great rep on here but if he is a fine player with pace and can cross who will improve if he can cut out the theatrics

KOLO - apart from some lapses due to poor form is widely regarded as one of the best centre backs in Europe

GALLAS - has done it all at the highest level

CLICHY - fufilled his potential last year to the point were we didn't even miss Cashley one bit and will get better

DIABY - the way he has come back from what can only be described as an assault by that wee *word censored* Dan Smith has been outstanding and altho people are all to ready to compare players this guy is almost Vieira's clone!

DENILSON - what can I say, an absolute warrior!

GILBERTO - has grown to be appreciated by the fans for the job he does, after everyone realised how much we missed him when he was out for a whole season with a back injury, and will prove a better capt. than TITi!

CESC - nuff said

ROSICKY - I think for 6M he was an absolute steal especially as he's still Dortmund's 18M record signing and was only offloaded to ease crippling debt, their loss our gain

HLEB - well what can I say about poor Alex, he takes some abuse but he has very quick feet, and will as someone has already put it - find his niche in the team

THEO - has been put out on the wing "to learn his trade" as AW put it, in other words learn how to skin other players, and we all know who else learnt their trade out there before switching up front

ADE - the one man bar none named this year by Rio Ferdinand as the toughest player he'd faced all season

v PERSIE - the one man named last summer by Alex Ferguson as the player he'd take over any other player in the prem!

Now IMO most of those players would get into a most of the teams in the Prem and with our very own football factory there is a load of other players coming thru so that very shortly we will have the perfect blend of youth and experience with the vital ingredient the they will have all been taught the Arsenal way!
This is why the players that don't make it at Arsenal are in great demand by the smaller Prem clubs, cos they are buying youngsters who are well educated footballing athletes with a brilliant attitude, according to Steve Bruce and Gareth Southgate!
Also much has been said by the pundits who do talk sense about how our players seem to slot in from one position to another and on Carling Cup nites they blend with the members of the first team seamlessly cos they all play the same way, these are the principles that total football is based on!
As far as competing with our rivals some people on here seem to forget that you can still only put 11 men on the pitch and that we did the double over the eventual and worthy champions!
We came within a whisker of inflicting Mourinho's first ever home defeat, with a depleted first team and even with all their millions they couldn't beat home or away either and we totally played their 300M team off the park in the 1st half at the Millenium!
In the first 3 games we played against L'pool we stuck 12 past 'em inc. that memorable nite at Anfield which even tho was only the Carling cup had their supporters calling for Benitez's head!
Last edited by Belfast Boy on Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eboue Can't Defend

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

Belfast Boy wrote:...EBOUE - not got a great rep on here but he is a fine player with pace and can cross who will improve if he can cut out the theatrics...
Not got a great rep on here? :shock: What are you talking about man? :roll: Everybody loves me!! :wink: :lol:

I do however agree with the second half of that assessment. You did forget one thing though: Eboue first of all needs to learn how to defend!! :roll: :wink: :lol:
Belfast Boy wrote:...HLEB - well what can I say about poor Alex, he takes some abuse but he has very quick feet...
So did Wayne Sleep (in both respects, I'd hazard a guess :oops: :roll: ) but I wouldn't put him in the Arsenal side!! :wink: :lol:
Last edited by Eboue Can't Defend on Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.