WENGER OUT BRIGADE GONE QUIET

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
REB

WENGER OUT BRIGADE GONE QUIET

Post by REB »

http://www.onlinegooner.com/exclusive/index.php?id=1086

The 'Wenger out' brigade have totally shut up and crawled back under their stones along with all the Tiny Totts who thought fourth place was nailed on this season. And even if we were to now blow out on all fronts I can't see those 'Wenger out' fools making a comeback. Youth has prevailed. Even the thickest Arsenal fans must now realise the potential within our current squad, and who is to say we won't add to it this summer

knocking people for criticising wenger :roll:
if he had added last summer imagine we would be in a better position dont you think instead of fighting for 4th
wenger himself has said many a time that any team can win a cup :roll: but judge a team on there league position and as time of writing we have now gone into 4th which is good enough for you is it :?: do you really feel that this team is good enough to win a league when everyone knew that last summer we were short in a couple of areas which the manager didnt see fit to cover,
we all want the same result which is a successful arsenal team and while we now have 2 semi finals to look forward too lets not get carried away as we have won nothing yet
but come may with a bit of luck we will be celebrating together the awb and the realists :wink:

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Its 4 years since we won a trophy and for a team that considers itself one of the big teams is Europe that is not good enough
As Rebel says if we had bought in the 3 quality players in last summer that we needed we may well be talking about finishing top and not just holding off Villa for 4th place.
Wenger says judge him at the end of the season and thats what we will do.2 semi finals is not success winning a trophy is

Redexpress

Post by Redexpress »

While not part of the Wenger out brigade, I was definitely concerned earlier in the season (at the start of the season actually), and the crux of this was transfer, and captaincy, decisions that most gooners were worried about.

It seems to be universally agreed, on this forum, that it was the signing of Arshavin that has sparked the team into life in the last couple of months. Where would we be in the league if this had happened last summer.

Ultimately these worries were borne out, although we could come good with some (very tasty) silverware.

Despite the recent run of good form, I am still to be convinced by the "usual suspects", and when good or great performances from these players become the norm, rather than the exception, I will happily admit I was wrong to doubt.

As it is, I am much more confident now, of beating the likes of the other 3, than I was a few months ago although, bizarrely, it is the loss of Gallas that now worries me most.

Footbal fans fickle?! Never.

tel

Post by tel »

donaldo wrote:Its 4 years since we won a trophy and for a team that considers itself one of the big teams is Europe that is not good enough
As Rebel says if we had bought in the 3 quality players in last summer that we needed we may well be talking about finishing top and not just holding off Villa for 4th place.
Wenger says judge him at the end of the season and thats what we will do.2 semi finals is not success winning a trophy is
Well said that man. Anyone who wanted him out during the season was just an idiot but many of us including myself wanted to see where we are at the end of the season before passing judgement. There's still 6 weeks to go so I'll hold my counsel until then but as Donalso says there has to be more than holding off Villa for 4th.

sloth

Post by sloth »

Well said that man. Anyone who wanted him out during the season was just an idiot but many of us including myself wanted to see where we are at the end of the season before passing judgement. There's still 6 weeks to go so I'll hold my counsel until then but as Donalso says there has to be more than holding off Villa for 4th.
Why?

It seems pretty clear now that the five best teams in Europe are (not in any order) ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal & Barcelona.

Correct me if I'm wrong but winning a trophy in England involves Arsenal beating 3 of those 5 teams. Not exactly a simple task. The task is made even harder when we are the only one of those teams who tries to run a club within its means (ie matching expenditure to income).

For me, the fact that Arsenal are in that list is fantastic. When I think back to where we've come from - the George Graham Years of 1-0 to the Arsenal, the nightmare mid-80s, the even worse mid-70s - it still seems unbelievable to me that we're anywhere near the top 5 in Europe.

The only reason (and I mean the only reason) we are where we are is down to Arsene Wenger. For some people in our club to start calling for his head is beyond belief and convinces me that we are more spoilt than ever. We watch the best football (yes, even with the kids) on the best pitch in the best ground in England.

Yes, winning some trophies would be nice, but I for one am happy with what we've got. I'm an away scheme member who doesn't go to home games because of all the negativity - I prefer to watch games with people who actually support the team. Nothing I read on this board makes me want to re-consider.

Cheers,

Angelo

tel

Post by tel »

sloth wrote:
Why?

It seems pretty clear now that the five best teams in Europe are (not in any order) ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal & Barcelona.

Correct me if I'm wrong but winning a trophy in England involves Arsenal beating 3 of those 5 teams. Not exactly a simple task. The task is made even harder when we are the only one of those teams who tries to run a club within its means (ie matching expenditure to income).

For me, the fact that Arsenal are in that list is fantastic. When I think back to where we've come from - the George Graham Years of 1-0 to the Arsenal, the nightmare mid-80s, the even worse mid-70s - it still seems unbelievable to me that we're anywhere near the top 5 in Europe.

The only reason (and I mean the only reason) we are where we are is down to Arsene Wenger. For some people in our club to start calling for his head is beyond belief and convinces me that we are more spoilt than ever. We watch the best football (yes, even with the kids) on the best pitch in the best ground in England.

Yes, winning some trophies would be nice, but I for one am happy with what we've got. I'm an away scheme member who doesn't go to home games because of all the negativity - I prefer to watch games with people who actually support the team. Nothing I read on this board makes me want to re-consider.

Cheers,

Angelo
Erm being in the semi finals does not make us one of the top 5 teams in Europe as it's just a glorified European FA Cup tournament. Man u and Barca apart I can't think of too many occasions recently where the winners really have been the best team around. Up until the end of February we were barely the 5th best team in England let alone Europe until our performances picked up rather suddenly.

The fact is that we've slumped in the league and gone backwards after what was a superb and unexpected effort last season and for that the manager is to blame. We're so close to having another great side if he would just fill the basic gaps in the team for which I think most people agree are a defensive midfielder and another centre half to push Kolo/Gallas.

There's not a hope in hell the board will get rid of Wenger even if we win nothing. I for one hope we can pull something out of a fairly ordinary season so far and expect to see Wenger here until the end of his cotract in 2 years at the very least.

Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

sloth wrote:Why?

Cheers,

Angelo
Good post sloth, and bang on the money 8) and tel to say that the CL is just a glorified FA Cup tournament :? :oops:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Good post, Sloth! 8)

By the way... I have a feeling the "Wenger Out Brigade" might be sharpening their knives again after that anti-climax at Wembley, today! :wink: :lol:

tel

Post by tel »

g88ner wrote:Good post, Sloth! 8)

By the way... I have a feeling the "Wenger Out Brigade" might be sharpening their knives again after that anti-climax at Wembley, today! :wink: :lol:

Why is the great one not allowed to be criticised after effectively giving Chelsea the game today. Just got back and very fucked off that today felt like a repeat of Old Trafford last season.

formerly row29

Post by formerly row29 »

The Wenger out brigade were asked to judge at the end of the season, thats fair enough and I will have my say even if its to hold my hands up but after returning from wembley totally fucked off by passionless players who were out fought by a team who basically wanted the win more and have a bigger winning mentality I really want to start NOW!!
Where was the team spirrit??desire?? that these overated mercaneries have been applauded for? Beaten by Two fucking long balls yet again!!! Do they fucking practice these achilles heales on the fucking training ground? Its a long punt so either step up and catch the foward offside or head the cunting thing away!! Its not rocket science.
Where was Ashavin?? why did he not play him??
Two semi finals and a scrape into 4th is NOT a successfull season - the players and the MANAGER should have a hard look at themselves because they are becoming self obsessed with their egotistical mindset.
Fuck off Eboue, Denilson, Diaby,Silvestre, Fabiclowny, Bendtner, :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

tel wrote:
g88ner wrote:Good post, Sloth! 8)

Why is the great one not allowed to be criticised after effectively giving Chelsea the game today. Just got back and very fucked off that today felt like a repeat of Old Trafford last season.
He can be criticised, definately.

The article asks where the "Wenger Out Brigade" have gone (his words, not mine!) - and, in the wake of todays game, I was merely suggesting (half jokingly) that they might be sharpening their knives again.

And I was right...

A thread entitled "WENGER COLLECT YOUR P45 AT THE DOOR" was posted soon after.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

If you're outplayed by a better team, defeat is often easier to swallow, if you give 100% but it's not quite enough, then it doesn't hurt quite as much. When the manager picks an awful team, leaves out players at the very top of their form and plays players just for their SIZE then we have a big problem. A few decent results have papered over some fairly serious cracks with Wengers management. Yet again, a refusal to make subs when required, he leaves it way too late saying he was concerned it may go to extra time.....well Arsene, we have to be level with the other team to go to extra time so take off players who are having a mare - Diaby!!
Blame the pitch, blame the run of matches (surely success brings more matches)? Excuses excuses excuses.
We took 6 steps backwards yesterday after taking 4 steps foward over the past few weeks. Anyone who thinks 4th place is safe needs to look at our run in and Villa's. They have to play Bolton, Hull, Fulham, Boro' and Newcastle.
If we were to win the CL then I'll eat a huge piece of humble pie, but sorry, just as in 1993, cup finals do not paper over huge cracks and that's what we have. The biggest problem isn't the players we have, it's the guy who buys them, picks them and tells them what to do. The semi final was crying out for a 4-5-1 formation with Ade up top, Walcott, Arshavin and Fab as a front three midfield and Song and Denilson as two 'defensive' midfielders. What the hell, Wenger knows best and when we end the season in 4th.....maybe......let's see how happy everyone is. It's sad that a club who spent 300m+ to be one of the worlds best is now happy to be 4th best in England and it's even more sad that there are Arsenal fans who are happy with this.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Take a bow young man. Absolutely spot on!! 8) :lol: :wink:

barnetgooner

Post by barnetgooner »

TeeCee wrote:If you're outplayed by a better team, defeat is often easier to swallow, if you give 100% but it's not quite enough, then it doesn't hurt quite as much. When the manager picks an awful team, leaves out players at the very top of their form and plays players just for their SIZE then we have a big problem. A few decent results have papered over some fairly serious cracks with Wengers management. Yet again, a refusal to make subs when required, he leaves it way too late saying he was concerned it may go to extra time.....well Arsene, we have to be level with the other team to go to extra time so take off players who are having a mare - Diaby!!
Blame the pitch, blame the run of matches (surely success brings more matches)? Excuses excuses excuses.
We took 6 steps backwards yesterday after taking 4 steps foward over the past few weeks. Anyone who thinks 4th place is safe needs to look at our run in and Villa's. They have to play Bolton, Hull, Fulham, Boro' and Newcastle.
If we were to win the CL then I'll eat a huge piece of humble pie, but sorry, just as in 1993, cup finals do not paper over huge cracks and that's what we have. The biggest problem isn't the players we have, it's the guy who buys them, picks them and tells them what to do. The semi final was crying out for a 4-5-1 formation with Ade up top, Walcott, Arshavin and Fab as a front three midfield and Song and Denilson as two 'defensive' midfielders. What the hell, Wenger knows best and when we end the season in 4th.....maybe......let's see how happy everyone is. It's sad that a club who spent 300m+ to be one of the worlds best is now happy to be 4th best in England and it's even more sad that there are Arsenal fans who are happy with this.
chill out we need 9 points to guarantee 4th place and that's if Villa win all their games which is very unlikely atm. (I'm not saying 4th is enough, just pointing that out)

barnetgooner

Post by barnetgooner »

formerly row29 wrote:The Wenger out brigade were asked to judge at the end of the season, thats fair enough and I will have my say even if its to hold my hands up but after returning from wembley totally fucked off by passionless players who were out fought by a team who basically wanted the win more and have a bigger winning mentality I really want to start NOW!!
Where was the team spirrit??desire?? that these overated mercaneries have been applauded for? Beaten by Two fucking long balls yet again!!! Do they fucking practice these achilles heales on the fucking training ground? Its a long punt so either step up and catch the foward offside or head the cunting thing away!! Its not rocket science.
Where was Ashavin?? why did he not play him??
Two semi finals and a scrape into 4th is NOT a successfull season - the players and the MANAGER should have a hard look at themselves because they are becoming self obsessed with their egotistical mindset.
Fuck off Eboue, Denilson, Diaby,Silvestre, Fabiclowny, Bendtner, :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
why do people need to be so reactionary... Eboue is a decent reserve right back, Denilson is a decent reserve centre mid, Fabianski is a 23 year old keeper who should be our 3rd choice and Bentdner has proved effective off the bench many times. I wouldn't be sad to see the back of Silvestre but he's our 4th choice centre back and Diaby is too inconsistent but for the others wouldn't it be more sensible to keep them in the squad?!