Ladies, Gentlemen and DB10...I give you Manuel Almunia

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SPUDMASHER

Ladies, Gentlemen and DB10...I give you Manuel Almunia

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Is anyone thinking that they have been a tad unfair in their criticism of our keeper?

Before anyone gets on their high horse I would like to point out that I am aware that there are better keepers out there. The fact is though that Almunia has been heavily criticised when he hasn't really deserved it. I personally believe a lot of peoples views about him are tainted firstly by the fact that they have been spoiled over the years with Seaman and Lehmann, and secondly that he was promoted to the role so is only viewed as a number two (no pooh jokes please, act your ages :wink: ).

I've always given him the benefit of the doubt and without him tonight this tie would have been over within a half hour. Time to get off his back me thinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mcdowell42

Re: Ladies, Gentlemen and DB10...I give you Manuel Almunia

Post by mcdowell42 »

SPUDMASHER wrote:Is anyone thinking that they have been a tad unfair in their criticism of our keeper?

Before anyone gets on their high horse I would like to point out that I am aware that there are better keepers out there. The fact is though that Almunia has been heavily criticised when he hasn't really deserved it. I personally believe a lot of peoples views about him are tainted firstly by the fact that they have been spoiled over the years with Seaman and Lehmann, and secondly that he was promoted to the role so is only viewed as a number two (no pooh jokes please, act your ages :wink: ).

I've always given him the benefit of the doubt and without him tonight this tie would have been over within a half hour. Time to get off his back me thinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hold my hands up i wasnt 1 of his biggest fan but he tonight gave me something to think about .Credit where its due by far our best player .Because of him we are just about still in this tie.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I've always rated him.......even in Mad Jen's time. He brings a calmness to the defence. He was outstanding tonight, MoM by a mile. If, and its a huge if, we manage to get to the final he will have played a massive part in it.

augie

Post by augie »

I dont think I have been hasty in my judgement at all - I have always said that he is a good keeper but not good enough for a club expecting to challenge for and win trophies. I stand by that assessment 100% but will also agree that he player very well tonight and has improved a lot of late. The thing that concerns me though is that I am now looking at other positions as bigger priorities and that does not bode well for the state of this team :cry:

barnetgooner

Re: Ladies, Gentlemen and DB10...I give you Manuel Almunia

Post by barnetgooner »

SPUDMASHER wrote:Is anyone thinking that they have been a tad unfair in their criticism of our keeper?

Exactly; Manuel has been quality and reliable for while now. I've read a lot of crap about him (as well as Song) from several moaners on this board; now been proved completely wrong

Magic Hat

Post by Magic Hat »

I'll hold my hand up, a big game and he performed superbly, bah muck ups for the next week or two, be happy to have him as number 1 next season

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

augie wrote:I dont think I have been hasty in my judgement at all - I have always said that he is a good keeper but not good enough for a club expecting to challenge for and win trophies. I stand by that assessment 100% but will also agree that he player very well tonight and has improved a lot of late. The thing that concerns me though is that I am now looking at other positions as bigger priorities and that does not bode well for the state of this team :cry:

I wonder augie if almunia had a decent defence in front of him could or would he be a good no1 for us.You take the goal for instance it wasnt through brilliant play but 1st a deflection and the fact adebayor strolled away from o shea before the ball was cleared and left him on his own.

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

augie wrote:I dont think I have been hasty in my judgement at all - I have always said that he is a good keeper but not good enough for a club expecting to challenge for and win trophies. I stand by that assessment 100% but will also agree that he player very well tonight and has improved a lot of late. The thing that concerns me though is that I am now looking at other positions as bigger priorities and that does not bode well for the state of this team :cry:
God Augie, its really spooky the number of times I read a thread and think "Im going to say x" and then I come across your post and think "he's right". Again. :gus: :bowing21:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Chippy wrote:
God Augie, its really spooky the number of times I read a thread and think "Im going to say x" and then I come across your post and think "he's right". Again. :gus: :bowing21:
Chippy i was about to say the same too. Augie youre spot on mate

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

Chippy wrote:
It was a good post and all but that's taking it a bit far isnt it Chippy? :shock:

The first save Almunia made from Tevez was truly world class but to be honest he's always been a relatively good shot-stopper, it's other areas of his game that he was (& to a lesser extent still is) really lacking in.

But fair play he's improved massively & I never thought I'd be relieved to see his name on the team-sheet! 8)

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

Its Up 4 Grabs Now wrote:
Chippy wrote:
It was a good post and all but that's taking it a bit far isnt it Chippy? :shock:

The first save Almunia made from Tevez was truly world class but to be honest he's always been a relatively good shot-stopper, it's other areas of his game that he was (& to a lesser extent still is) really lacking in.

But fair play he's improved massively & I never thought I'd be relieved to see his name on the team-sheet! 8)
Mate you are agreeing with the almighty Augie.

digger

Post by digger »

Excellent tonight, and all season really. Was pretty shit in his first few seasons (Man U away when Jens was dropped first time around, CL final, etc) but since knocking Jens out of the side early last season, he's just got better and better. I thought we needed to sign a new keeper at the start of the season, and we do - but as a number two.

Number 5

Post by Number 5 »

Woah, woah, woah.

Firstly, yes we were spolit well with Seaman. But Lehmann was one eratic son of a bitch who cost us a lot of points.

Almunia is competent. And made some good saves tonight. However his kicking was poor and a good few times he stayed on his line just a little too long for my liking. I feel he is better when busier, and the way our defence has been lately he'll get plenty of this.

However threads like this one tend to spring up a bit prematurely for me. I would want to see a good 10 performances like this in a row or certainly in a 15 game period. Then I could get behind him more.

Even now I still feel there is a mistake in there somewhere, he just doesn't inspire that much confidence in me, yet.

BTW, it would be a failed goalkeeper to bring this up, solidarity and all that. 8)

MutleyGooner

Post by MutleyGooner »

No :roll:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Number 5 wrote:Woah, woah, woah.

Firstly, yes we were spolit well with Seaman. But Lehmann was one eratic son of a bitch who cost us a lot of points.

Almunia is competent. And made some good saves tonight. However his kicking was poor and a good few times he stayed on his line just a little too long for my liking. I feel he is better when busier, and the way our defence has been lately he'll get plenty of this.

However threads like this one tend to spring up a bit prematurely for me. I would want to see a good 10 performances like this in a row or certainly in a 15 game period. Then I could get behind him more.

Even now I still feel there is a mistake in there somewhere, he just doesn't inspire that much confidence in me, yet.

BTW, it would be a failed goalkeeper to bring this up, solidarity and all that. 8)
Lehman played 48 games of our 49 unbeaten, how much more would the poor fucker have to do to be considered a quality keeper.

IMO Arsenal fans are impossible to please, whinging about keepers, left/right backs, holding fucking midfielders, strikers, wingers, fuck we have spent less than spuds, mousers, newcastle and they have never won the pl, never happy.