Old Trafford

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Titi2

Old Trafford

Post by Titi2 »

Competing emotions this morning. Disappointment. Relief. Hope. But most of all embarrassment - what a poor show. Where was the spark and the desire? We were run ragged at times, and managed no better than a bit of keep ball and about 10 minutes of slick and progressive passing in the first half.

Admittedly the Mancs are (painful to say) a very good team, but we have to show more desire, more confidence in our ability. For me the balance of the team was all wrong, and I agree with what Ed says about Diaby and Adebayor. That was never going to be a match for Diaby - he is effective in an out and out attacking game, played in the hole as we did against Fenerbahce away and Roma at home, but he is nothing in a defensive set up.

Adebayor was the right pick for the job because he can play that role (Villreal away), but the wrong performance. Did we really turn down ca £30M for him?

JMascis666

Post by JMascis666 »

I should hope the Mancs are a very good team, they cost enough to assemble.

Redexpress

Post by Redexpress »

It was quite a shocking performance, and worrying that we can't seem to compete with Mancs or Chelsea on the pitch at the moment. :oops:

That we made Fletcher look like a world class midfielder last night says it all really.

Could that have been Adebayor's worst performance in Arsenal jersey? At one point I thought we might as well bring on Bendtner cos he couldn't be any worse. I was wrong! I didn't realise Eduardo was on the bench - he should have started earlier, partnering Adebarndoor which might have given us a bit more penetration.

What is really frustrating is that it looks like we could exit the CL, like the FA cup, with a whimper. :banghead:

On the bright side Gibbs had yet another good performance.

WestUpperRed

Post by WestUpperRed »

On the night a stupid defensive mistake may have saved us the kind of beating Spurs took. Keep united at bay and they will eventually un-lock you and pummel your goal out of frustration which is exactly what conceding a dumb goal from failing to clear a corner early in the game last night may have avoided?

Hey got to look at the positives :)

JMascis666

Post by JMascis666 »

Very true, unbelievably we are still in this tie, it could have been all over bar the shouting on another night.

Herd

Adebayor

Post by Herd »

:twisted: Adebayor should never be allowed to play for us ever again,he doesnt want to be at Arsenalm and im sure he's faked his injuries.

His complete indifference in last nights game is typical of his overrated self valuation and is an insult to any Arsenal fan. :twisted:

proudtosaythatname

Post by proudtosaythatname »

On the night a stupid defensive mistake may have saved us the kind of beating Spurs took.
So thank goodness Howard Webb wasn't the ref, huh? :shock:

gooner_ess_tee

Post by gooner_ess_tee »

Adebayor was a shambles last night but I think that our support's criticism of him was bordering on over the top. I know it was a massive game, and a very expensive one, but the booing of him doesn't achieve anything. He had no support, which is not a defence of his performance, and he didn't have much to do in the game. I feel his effort was an insult to all of us who had made the trip but the vitriol coming from the away section was as severe as I've heard for a while..

Redexpress

Post by Redexpress »

I wasn't aware of any booing of the man on the night (via the telly), but he is happy to feel self inflated with positive songs about him, so rough with the smooth and all that.

He got caught offside when a ball was hoofed clear from a manc attack on our goal, for gods sake! It has been mentioned by others about players like Nasri showing obvious honesty and commitment to the game. Players who show this, even with limited ability (I'm not saying Nasri has limited ability, maybe Denilson is a good example) get a certain amount of respect from the fans.

Gibbs might have made a few (minor) mistakes on the night, but he done his damnedest to atone for any mistakes he made, andI guess most Gooners are actually quite proud of his performances over the last month, and would give him nothing but praise, whereas the "Togonator" would be a perfect replacement for Inzaghi at AC Milan, cos he is also an over rated prima donna.

Rant over. Come on you Reds! :barscarf:

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

One minor incident in the 2nd half summed up our lack-lustre performance on Wednesday evening.

A long punt from Manuel (our best player) was heading towards the corner flag on our left and wasn't going to go out of play. BUT - Diaby and Adebarndoor just stood and watched as O'Shea ran to get the ball.

O'Shea was expecting pressure from our forwards and you could see his surprise when he realised that our bold heroes were just letting him regain possession in an awkward part of the pitch.

It's only a small thing but it completely sums up their attitude as :
1. They didn't realise that O'Shea could be pressured into a mistake high up the pitch or
2. They just couldn't be bothered.

Only Diaby and Adebarndoor know the answer but it does make you wonder if certain players at Arsenal are prepared to put in the effort required when the going gets really tough. . . . . .

foxinthebox2001

we look like cup minnows

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

The three recent games against the rest of the 'big four' have brought our problems right out into the open. Even the most optimistic of gooners can see where we stand against the teams stopping us from winning a trophy for another season.
When the pressure is on we wobble, Chelsea knew it, we were like a ripe cherry waiting to be picked at Wembley. Once their midfield got a grip I'm sure I was not the only gooner who knew it was just a matter of time before Chelsea scored.
The 4-4 at anfield was a false scoreline, the team looked shocked to be leading 3-2 and it showed (they have no idea on how to defend a lead).
We had the look of a plucky minnow side 'giving it a go' at a bigger club in a cup game. After the break Liverpool tore into us and we were a total shambles, the keeper didn't exactly help, but he must have felt he was playing Liverpool on his own. Don't be fooled by the scoreline, it totally flattered us, another 5 minutes we would have lost 5-4.
Without a superb display from our wannabe English keeper at Old Trafford the second leg of the CL SF would have been an irrelevence. Again we looked inferior, no movement, can't retain possesion. Not one corner!, just like Anfield, where is the pressure on the opposition? No wonder our defence is creaking we don't hold possesion. Wenger is fooling nobody least of all Ferguson when he says 'we will have a go' at Ashburton Grove. Pure hot air, no one is buying it and that includes Cesc.

SilverGooner

Old Trafford

Post by SilverGooner »

We are very fortunate to be going into the second leg just a goal down. Had Almunia performed to the same standard as Adebayor and Diaby we would have been dead and burried by half time. However, for the second leg it is not just about the players upping their game. Much willl rest with Arsene's team selection and the tactics, because - let's face it - he got it horribly wrong in the first leg. To stand any chance of beating the Mancs we are going to need Fabregas and Nasril palying in their normal positions. Forget Diaby - he simply isn't up to it. And as for Adebayor -well, we will just have to hope that he is in the mood to proove his critics wrong after his woeful performance at Old Trafford. Come on Ade - surely you want to get to the final as much as we do?!

mcdowell42

Re: Old Trafford

Post by mcdowell42 »

SilverGooner wrote:We are very fortunate to be going into the second leg just a goal down. Had Almunia performed to the same standard as Adebayor and Diaby we would have been dead and burried by half time. However, for the second leg it is not just about the players upping their game. Much willl rest with Arsene's team selection and the tactics, because - let's face it - he got it horribly wrong in the first leg. To stand any chance of beating the Mancs we are going to need Fabregas and Nasril palying in their normal positions. Forget Diaby - he simply isn't up to it. And as for Adebayor -well, we will just have to hope that he is in the mood to proove his critics wrong after his woeful performance at Old Trafford. Come on Ade - surely you want to get to the final as much as we do?!
He got it wrong against the chavs in the fa cup so its not the 1st time the same against utd in the fa cup last season methinks he isnt a tactical genius.All we ask is that he picks players in their positions and that he sets the team up to have a go at utd instead of this worrying what way they are going to play.