Hypocritical Gooners (exclusive 13th Nov)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner.ed
Site Admin

Hypocritical Gooners (exclusive 13th Nov)

Post by gooner.ed »

Just to start a thread should further discussion be desired...

PaulF_UK

Re: Hypocritical Gooners (exclusive 13th Nov)

Post by PaulF_UK »

At last. Someone who thinks the same way and says it like it is.

We are a great team because of Arsene and nobody should doubt what he has done for this club; and I share the author's concerns for the Club post-Wenger. I too can remember watching a midfield of Hillier, Selley and Morrow; when the only excitement was whether you would be there when JJ scored (sadly I wasn't). Even after the disappointment of last weekend's defeat at West Ham, it didn't take long to put it all in perspective when comparing it with some of the dross we paid to watch in the early mid-1990s. Arsenal 0 - 0 Coventry anyone..?

One thing we Gooners have always had is a healthy sense of realism - never believing we are better than we are, but still having faith in the team, manager, coaches and Board. We rarely show discontent publicly; and this has been what sets us above the fickle fans of Chelsea, The Totts and some of the Northern clubs. Admit it, we love to hear rival fans on 6-0-6 ripping their club apart - but I don't recall many of us doing it. We must not get complacent and expect everything to fall into place and whine when it doesn't.

A great article.

Paul.

martinExiledGooner

Hypocritical Gooners - And another thing

Post by martinExiledGooner »

Absolutely spot on. And if I might add...

One thing that needs to be appreciated is that all teams (with the possible exception of Barcelona - and we don't get to play them very often) adapt their style when playing arsenal, even Man Utd and Chelski. This is because no one wants to get a tonking from us...obviously. It is down to us to break these defences down and to be honest, these teams who have managed to stifle our play have done so with a variable sized helping of luck! Just as sometimes we are lucky to get the win...that is football.

If we were to start scoring from set pieces regularly I have no doubt we would be competing for the title (a no brainer I know). So we have had a couple of dissapointing results as it is, but we are third in the table and if we win the game in hand we are only 4 or 5 points shy of the Russians. Not such a crisis.

Quoting a famous cliché, there is a fine line between winning and loosing, at the moment, while we are not at our prolific best we tread that fine line even though we dazzle the opposition with our footwork. One thing that is for sure we will be battering someone soon.

Martin