Prawnies in the sides?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
singup4theArse

Prawnies in the sides?

Post by singup4theArse »

I've been going to Arsenal for many years and we've always had a mixture of active/passive support. The North bank, until it was redeveloped, had a very vocal bunch. The Clockend also had a vociferous group. Generally at football its always been the 'ends' that made the noise whilst those who wanted a more quite life sat in the sides. With the development of all seater stadia and then move to AG, the ticket allocation has meant a lot of passive/new fans are now sharing the ends with the vocal support thus diluting the atmosphere. In the past with terracing if you did'nt want to stand next to a particular person you could always move away. Also It was much easier for like minded folk to get together. The red action section is a good idea - it would be nice to have a whole end filled with supporters to get the place rocking. Maybe the Prawnies could go in the sides.

100% Gooner

Post by 100% Gooner »

Just because we don't stand all the game and don't sit in the RedAction area don't think we don't sing and shout.

I sit in Block 11 and we give as good as anyone else.

worthing gooner

Post by worthing gooner »

The "red action" is a focal point of noise but that does not mean we are the be all and end all of the noise in the ground.
WE ARE ALL there for the same reason, to support the boys. We just have to stick together and let the opposition have it at every opportunity and not fellow fans.
AFC
C'mon

Gooner_mojo

Post by Gooner_mojo »

yeah i agree with 'singup4theArse'

if we had our own end with people who just want to make noise and sing all game, it would improve the atmosphere loads. It would be like the kop but only better.

Redaction are doing a good job but let me tell you there are some many supporters around the ground who try to make noise but are just surrounded by those prawnies. Like in the famo enclosure we get told to sit down or shut up by the elderly or senior citizens as they are known.

Perhaps having a red action section next to the away fans where i sit would be a good idea. It would bring back the banter that the clock end use to have.

But anyway Gooners keep the faith and keep singing!!!

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

How about 2 RedAction areas, one at either end of the ground? People sitting close to the 'noisy' sections tend to get swept along with the atmosphere and join in. While one big RedAction area would creat one big load of noise, if we had two focused vocal areas, I think it would get more people singing and chanting by dragging in those sat close by.

I know this requires co-operation and permission from the club, but it's worth considering.

goonermc

Post by goonermc »

Trevheff, I think you make a great point, I mean if there was various singing sections around the ground rather than just in blocks 5(where i sit) and 6, This would encourage the whole ground to pipe up. All it would need is a small group of singers, not many at all, maybe half a dozen or so. I have to admit though, the atmosphere seems to be improving game by game, so lets keep it up. C'MON U GOONERS....

TheOne2Smooth

Post by TheOne2Smooth »

I sit in the red action section and I can tell you its great when everything is going really well like against watford and sheff utd, But on Sunday against the scousers 38 minutes into the game people where begining to leave to get half time snacks (what the f***) I sometimes understand about people leaving on a week night before the end of the GAME!! but at half time on a sunday? what for? I came to watch the Arsenal not to pay over the top prices for watered down beer and a dodgy rollover hotdog!

Then you have the people having ago at Henry, comments like why didnt you f off to barca when you had the chance! the next time I hear a stipid comment like that I'm going to reply with why dont you f off to barcelona!
Because Gooners will back anyone in the Arsenal kit even if there having a off day! wether it be Henry or Hleb! I agree Henry's job is to score and make goals and sometimes and not very often I may add. he doesn'r deliever, but does that give a supporter the right to not do there job?
Being a Gooner you have choosen to support your Team through the good times and the hard times! and we have had more good times than bad of recent years!
so the next time we go 1-0 down dont get at the team get behind them then ar least you can say you have done your job!!

So what I'm trying to say it doesnt matter where you sit, whether your in the heavens in the upper tier, in the RED ACTION section nexr to the twat with the pink cow girl hat! your always going to have some people around you who's heart aint in it!!

COME ON THE ARSENAL!!!!!

goonermc

Post by goonermc »

well said 2smooth, i could not agree more. These so called fans or should i say 'Spectators' are ready to slag certain players off, but where are they when the team needs positive vocal support.

singup4theArse

Post by singup4theArse »

While I understand that people who visit matches are perfectly entitled to just sit passivley and watch the game, I feel the game really benefits from vocal support. I've lost count of the number of times I've been told to 'stop singing' or 'stop singing that song because I don't like it' or 'don't swear'. Some people think I 'go on a lot' or laugh because they find my idea of the supporting experience 'stupid'.

I now sit in block 9 at Ashburton. It has been quiet but I think that people are starting to gel and I'm hoping we'll soon have an end to be proud of. I'll certainly keep singing (and still be told to shut up by some!)

jlo

Post by jlo »

I've got to agree with singup4theArse. The reason most people go to the games is to watch the match but most people also like to get caught up in the emotions and atmousphere of the crowd. unfortunately we have two problems at Ashburton grove. The gelling of the fans, and the prawn sandwichers that have appeared lately. I am in Block 10 and there are three different groups around me. One lot who sing songs similar to the North Bank at Highbury such as The W**ky T*tt*enh*m Fan, We all live in a Perry Groves world, Good old Arsenal, and recently The Matty Flamini Society. The second group sing Red Army, Stand up if you hate T*tt*enh*m, and we are the Clock end and don't seem to want to sing to anything else. The third group are those who do not seem to know any of the words and i assume are new supporters who hopefully will join in eventually. We need these different groups to gel together so that they have the same impulses to sing the same songs.