Exhibition match: supporters v. shareholders 27/05

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gunnerhead

Exhibition match: supporters v. shareholders 27/05

Post by gunnerhead »

http://www.onlinegooner.com/exclusive/index.php?id=1186

Arsene mentioned quite clearly in his press conference that he can accept criticism but he cannot accept disrespect to him or his players. You can't argue with that.

If someone during the question period called Brown a geriatric, whether you agree with that comment or not, it's disrespectful and unnecessary. I'm not a fan of Silvestre but that doesn't mean I'm going to stoop to name calling in front of the man who decided to put him in the team.

We all know how protective Arsene is of his players and if he wasn't, we'd be complaining about that!

I have to agree with the suggestions you put forward to make sure this doesn't happen again but I think you're being unfair on Arsene who clearly is a man of honour, pride and dignity. His only fault is that he wears those qualities on his sleeve.

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Excellent article. Arsene is a genius but he must accept that a part of his job is to be scrutinised by supporters and shareholders.

I would like to see next years shareholders Q&A extended to include a couple of senior board members, especially "silent" Stan Kroenke. If Arsenal is to be run by a small clique of people, they MUST allow regular meetings with supporters where we can ask about things that are important to us. The Club is too big and too important not to do this.

Football is unique in so much as there is no other industry in the world where people pay thousands of pounds but in return have virtually no right to offer constructive criticism.

I think the booing this season was partly due to Arsenal supporters feeling that we don't have a voice.

Redexpress

Post by Redexpress »

What was said that was so "disrespectful"?

I was set to watch the q&a, last week or whenever, but it had been replaced with an Arsenal gold match. Stalinesque programming?

Amos

Post by Amos »

I thnk your maths has let you down. The increase in the share price during Wenger's reign is 2000% not 20%.

You are asking for changes in the Q&A format just to accomodate those few people without enough common courtesy to present their questions in a way that would solicit a courteous response. This isn't an inquisition or scrutiny such as might take place in an AGM (or Parliamentary arena) is an open Q&A. Shareholders have a formal AGM each year and can pose questions to the board from the floor (though usually in written form in most corporations). Wenger isn't a director - there is no obligation for him to make himself available to shareholders questions. He does so as an open, communicative person and as such he warrants, as does anyone else, the simple respect of his questioners.

But there is also a pragmatic side to this. The opportunity to put a direct question to Wenger doesn't come often so why waste it trying to make an aggressive point? Except that getting an answer isn't what it's about for these people - it's their 15 minutes of fame they are looking for. The majority of questioners were polite and seeking genuine answers. Controlling such future events just requires keeping those incapable of respecting the event out by excluding them from such future events. Simples.