New to the board so time to get stuck in....

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
MattM316

New to the board so time to get stuck in....

Post by MattM316 »

I was thinking about my ideal starting squad would be and it's harder than you would think and it shows that we do actually have a good squad.

Obviously this is assuming every player is fit and is still at the club when the season starts.
I don't think this is the team Arsene Wenger will start with, but it's the team I would start with.

1. Manuel Almunia (spain)

2. Bacary Sagna (france)
3. Kolo Toure (ivory coast)
4. Thomas Vermaelen (belgium)
5. Gael Clichy (france)

6. Cesc Fabregas (spain) (captain)
7. Aaron Ramsey (wales)
8. Samir Nasri (france)
9. Theo Walcott (england)

10. Robin Van Persie (holland)
11. Andrey Arshavin (russia)

Subs:
12. William Gallas (france)
13. Alexandre Song (cameroon)
14. Denilson (brazil)
15. Jack Wilshire (england)
16. Emmanuel Adebayor (togo)
17. Nicklas Bendtner (denmark)
18. Eduardo (croatia)

A couple of potentially controversial choices.
One being my choice not to have a goalkeeper on the bench, and the other to be starting with Aaron Ramsey.

Ramsey hasn't particular impressed me in an Arsenal shirt so far, but I think that given the chance he can develop a good partnership with Fabregas in central midfield. Denilson simply isn't good enough yet and I really think Ramsey can step up if given the chance.

Our forward line is the most difficult thing. It pains me not to include Carlos Vela in the squad as I think he is a fantastic player, plus we have the likes of Luke Freeman, Rui Fonte and Jay Simpson all doing well as forwards in the reserves so at the moment we have an embarassment of riches when it comes to our forward line and I think most clubs would kill to have what we have there.

Dan_85

Re: New to the board so time to get stuck in....

Post by Dan_85 »

Welcome to the board man.
Interesting first post - agree with some points & disagree with others. I'm pretty sure we'd need to name a GK on the bench lol, i'd perhaps have Gibbs on there too as cover for Clichy plus i'm not sure how much first team action Wilshire will see this season. I wouldn't be surprised if he went out on loan for a bit & got more regular run outs in a season or two's time. Looks like Ade will be off soon as well so that frees up another space on the bench perhaps to be replaced by Vela?
Like you say, we do actually have a pretty good squad if we can just keep everybody fit.
MattM316 wrote:we have the likes of Luke Freeman, Rui Fonte and Jay Simpson all doing well
Rui Fonte was released by the club a couple of weeks ago...

greatgooner

Post by greatgooner »

Sorry to be picky but Fonte left in May anyway welcome and good luck...your gonna need it to stay sane on here :cussing: :wink: :lol:

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Continuing on the theme..... Luke Freeman is still too young (16?) and has yet to prove it in the reserves so won't be stepping up to the first team squad any time soon.

As for Jay Simpson - although with him being a local boy and an Arsenal fan I'd love him to progress into the first team squad, I just don't think he has proven himself good enough as Championship, let alone Premiership level yet. :cry:

By the way, welcome to the forum. 8) :lol: :wink:

MattM316

Post by MattM316 »

Ah I never realised Fonte had been released, I only thought we released Amaury Bischoff.

I'm serious about not having a goalkeeper on the bench tho. I only think it's a slight risk because it's very rare a goalkeeper has to be taken off.
I know Neil Warnock never used to put one on the bench, I'm not sure if he changed that tho.

I'm not keen on Wilshere going out on loan either. I don't think he's too young, if he's good enough then he's good enough, I don't think throwing him into some first team appearences would be a bad thing and I don't think it'd do him any harm.

Number 5

Post by Number 5 »

MattM316 wrote:1. Manuel Almunia (spain)
Keeping up the theme of pointing out the newbie's mistakes.

Manuel is English now. Look for his debut coming up soon and to be between the sticks for SA 2010. :wink: 8)

greatgooner

Post by greatgooner »

Number 5 wrote:
MattM316 wrote:1. Manuel Almunia (spain)
Keeping up the theme of pointing out the newbie's mistakes.

Manuel is English now. Look for his debut coming up soon and to be between the sticks for SA 2010. :wink: 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Thing is though, Matt.... as we're now allowed 7 subs, I find it hard to find an argument for NOT having a 'keeper on the bench!

Then again, based on Fabianski's performance at Wembley, I do wonder whether Mr versatility (Eboue :oops: :wink: ) would be a better choice between the sticks if Almunia had to be taken off :shock:

Welcome to the forum 8)

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

g88ner wrote:Thing is though, Matt.... as we're now allowed 7 subs, I find it hard to find an argument for NOT having a 'keeper on the bench!

Then again, based on Fabianski's performance at Wembley, I do wonder whether Mr versatility (Eboue :oops: :wink: ) would be a better choice between the sticks if Almunia had to be taken off :shock:

Welcome to the forum 8)

no, it wouldn't. can you imagine a diving goalkeeper? :oops:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Not sure I could ever pick Kolo ahead of Gallas based on defensive capability. It was without Gallas that we looked most vulnerable last year.

Also your midfield trades Ramsey with Denilson - neither capable of the holding role. So assuming, as I do, that Arsene fails to sign someone else I would have to opt for Song alongside Cesc as he started to fulfill that role better than anyone else in the current crop.

No Diaby in the first 18 is also harsh in my opinion although most of the others on here will agree with you (i.e. those that chose to ignore the fact that AW refuses to play him in the correct position, but that on the few occasions he did he was superb imo)

thewilsonboy

Post by thewilsonboy »

No Rosicky in the squad? Gallas on the bench? What planet are you on?

You've been playing too much Football Manager
Last edited by thewilsonboy on Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Toure CH !!!!! No DM!!!!! and yes you can see Gallas keeping the bench warm :roll:

Welcome anyway Matt

SamiS

Post by SamiS »

MattM316 wrote:I was thinking about my ideal starting squad would be and it's harder than you would think and it shows that we do actually have a good squad.

Obviously this is assuming every player is fit and is still at the club when the season starts.
I don't think this is the team Arsene Wenger will start with, but it's the team I would start with.

1. Manuel Almunia (spain)

2. Bacary Sagna (france)
3. Kolo Toure (ivory coast)
4. Thomas Vermaelen (belgium)
5. Gael Clichy (france)

6. Cesc Fabregas (spain) (captain)
7. Aaron Ramsey (wales)
8. Samir Nasri (france)
9. Theo Walcott (england)

10. Robin Van Persie (holland)
11. Andrey Arshavin (russia)

Subs:
12. William Gallas (france)
13. Alexandre Song (cameroon)
14. Denilson (brazil)
15. Jack Wilshire (england)
16. Emmanuel Adebayor (togo)
17. Nicklas Bendtner (denmark)
18. Eduardo (croatia)

A couple of potentially controversial choices.
One being my choice not to have a goalkeeper on the bench, and the other to be starting with Aaron Ramsey.

Ramsey hasn't particular impressed me in an Arsenal shirt so far, but I think that given the chance he can develop a good partnership with Fabregas in central midfield. Denilson simply isn't good enough yet and I really think Ramsey can step up if given the chance.

Our forward line is the most difficult thing. It pains me not to include Carlos Vela in the squad as I think he is a fantastic player, plus we have the likes of Luke Freeman, Rui Fonte and Jay Simpson all doing well as forwards in the reserves so at the moment we have an embarassment of riches when it comes to our forward line and I think most clubs would kill to have what we have there.
i dont blame him for missing out rosicky as most people have forgot aboue him but three strikers on the bench... please think about posts before putting on such ridiculously stupid ones.
thanks.

youngw

Post by youngw »

No Gallas, Ramsey starting, no sub goalie....suicidal to say the least

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

SamiS wrote: please think about posts before putting on such ridiculously stupid ones.
thanks.
that's what i call a warm welcome! :roll:

be welcome, matt! :wink: