Stanchiones, Stanchiones oh lez, oh lez, oh lez

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Step

Stanchiones, Stanchiones oh lez, oh lez, oh lez

Post by Step »

Just watching ESPN classic 1979 Charity shield Arsenal Vs Liverpool and the wonderful classic old Wembly stanchions.

How bland todays Euro Stanchions are.

Where are the angled gems, the tear drops and the narrow gauge Hammer/QPR stanchions that made each match a unique spectacle.

My top 3 stanchions were:

3. Hampden Park. Excellent exagerated arch (but net always a little too taught)
2. Chelsea. Upward horizontal, angled fallback and 12" verticall base. The top domestic Div 1 stanchion.

1. Wembley. the ultimate. Beatiful upward arch with satisfyingly curvaceous netting. even a grubby goal looked great in these beaties.

Current rear pole euro stanchions are a disgrace . No imagination.

Although Millenium was a good alternative cup final venue for me their stanchions epitomised all thats wrong with the modern stanchion.

Bland euro design and hopelessly saggy in the middle .

Utterly disgraceful.

Bring back those varied stanchions. We miss you!!

Number 5

Post by Number 5 »

Fuck off mate. :wink:

I remember Gazza's freekick in 91 going right into the top corner of one of those bastards. :oops:

I haven't been able to look at one since. :cry:

RNTGOONER

Post by RNTGOONER »

phaaawww look at the stanchions on that!

:lol:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Of course there were a few "goals" that never were because of those things!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPc-Luq7LG8

Still it's only Clive Allen and Terry Venebels......fuck them!!!

:wink:

Red Snapper

Re: Stanchiones, Stanchiones oh lez, oh lez, oh lez

Post by Red Snapper »

Step wrote:Just watching ESPN classic 1979 Charity shield Arsenal Vs Liverpool and the wonderful classic old Wembly stanchions.

How bland todays Euro Stanchions are.

Where are the angled gems, the tear drops and the narrow gauge Hammer/QPR stanchions that made each match a unique spectacle.

My top 3 stanchions were:

3. Hampden Park. Excellent exagerated arch (but net always a little too taught)
2. Chelsea. Upward horizontal, angled fallback and 12" verticall base. The top domestic Div 1 stanchion.

1. Wembley. the ultimate. Beatiful upward arch with satisfyingly curvaceous netting. even a grubby goal looked great in these beaties.

Current rear pole euro stanchions are a disgrace . No imagination.

Although Millenium was a good alternative cup final venue for me their stanchions epitomised all thats wrong with the modern stanchion.

Bland euro design and hopelessly saggy in the middle .

Utterly disgraceful.

Bring back those varied stanchions. We miss you!!
Blimey, I thought it was just me! I used to love the fact that each ground had individual stanchions but I`ve never mentioned it for fear of being accused of anality! Those ones at Wembley were class.

Step

Post by Step »

Well done Red Snapper!!!

What was your top 3 and which were the worst?

for me the narrow gauge West Ham/QPR stanchions were the poorest. No ball retention/ripple in those things ...... unlike those Wembley gems!!!

SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

That Brooking goal against Hungary...top corner....stuck in the gap where the stanchion met lol.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6QD4LDTT9E

at 5:27

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

Step wrote:Well done Red Snapper!!!

What was your top 3 and which were the worst?

for me the narrow gauge West Ham/QPR stanchions were the poorest. No ball retention/ripple in those things ...... unlike those Wembley gems!!!
Worst were Upton Park and the Dell; about 1 foot from the goal line to the back of the net. Shite Hart Lane`s were odd. Looked like they`d been made for a smaller goal then forced to fit. Worst of all was Hampden Park. So far to the back of the net that it took a minute to retrieve the ball! Add that to old fashioned square goalposts and they looked very strange. Selhurst Park ones were very odd too.
If Wembley was the gold standard, OT`s were very similar. I liked ours and the ones at Reading were stylish. The modern ones are so homogenous with no characteristics. The ball comes bounding out of them sometimes like it`s hit a brick wall.

Step

Post by Step »

Sorry but Arsenals were awful.
Narrow gauge netting , green stanchions with a brutal angle rather than a curve.

Would aggree with you re West Ham/QPR nad The Dell. no class at all but still better than the bland horrors we have today.

Did notice last season that Barca have incorporated a teardrop into their bland euro style stanchions which is an interesting variation.

And yes I remember that Brooking lodge in goal!!!

Step

Post by Step »

Looks like its just you and me Red Snapper judging by the number of replies re this subject.

Whats the matter with the rest of you. Surely you had a favourite stanchion!!!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Step wrote:Looks like its just you and me Red Snapper judging by the number of replies re this subject.

Whats the matter with the rest of you. Surely you had a favourite stanchion!!!
Well, I quite liked that big 10 gallon stanchion that JR Ewing used to wear on Dallas, it was a.... oh, hang on - that's a Stetson... sorry, can't help you out, mate... :lol: :wink:

digger

Post by digger »

This is quite a bizarre fetish.....

Just out of interest, are you also into fishnet tights? :lol:

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

digger wrote:This is quite a bizarre fetish.....

Yeah I’ve seen some odd fetishes confessed to on here - midgets, animals, midget animals, chubsters, corned beef, ginger people, chubby ginger midget animals smothered in corned beef, etc - but stanchions? Sick, sick bastards!

Surprised Flash hasn’t joined in. I’m pretty sure he probably has some kind of fetish about the sound of balls slapping against the woodwork. :?

Mikegooner87i

Post by Mikegooner87i »

Its Up 4 Grabs Now wrote:
digger wrote:This is quite a bizarre fetish.....

Yeah I’ve seen some odd fetishes confessed to on here - midgets, animals, midget animals, chubsters, corned beef, ginger people, chubby ginger midget animals smothered in corned beef, etc - but stanchions? Sick, sick bastards!

Surprised Flash hasn’t joined in. I’m pretty sure he probably has some kind of fetish about the sound of balls slapping against the woodwork. :?
:coffeespit:

12thGooner

Post by 12thGooner »

What the Fcuk.....

Are you ok mate????

seriously, its just a goal.... once it passes the white line i couldn't give ahoot what the stanchion looks like......

Jeeeeeez :roll: :roll: :roll: