Current Team

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
1962er

Current Team

Post by 1962er »

I watched the Fulham match on EPSN and am already convinced that we will win nothing this year. The team appeared to lack commitment and self-belief, and it is sad to see this so early in a season which started so well. I think this stems from those two very unfortunate defeats in Manchester, which I think has affected the team in as much they already believe they cannot win the Premership. This shows a particularly bad mental attitude which was so evident against Fulham, a match we did not deserve to win.

In particular, I am very worried about Fabregas, who looks as though he wants to be elsewhere. He is one of the best mid-fielders I have ever seen at Arsenal, and he reminds me so much of George Eastham, my first hero when I stood on the North Bank, so you can see how far back my support goes. However, his mind is definitely elsewhere, I have never seen so many misplaced passes from him, and usually his accuracy is far better than anyone in the Premership. I think it is his last season without a doubt, but to be honest, I cannot fault him, as he must want to win things, and this is not going to happen while our squad is so poor, and he knows that Arsene will not spend, or more than likely, has been told he cannot.

I am also worried about our squad, which is so lacking at the back, and the lack of a class holding mid-fielder, which in my opinion is the other main reason we will end up with nothing this season.

I have been amazed at some of the comments on line and in the Gooner about our current squad, and in particular when compared to previous teams. How anyone could pick Sagna and Clichy ahead of Dixon and Winterburn is extraordinary to me. Neither Sagna or Clichy are good at defending, they have definitely gone backwards since the Birmingham debacle of two years ago, when a strong mental attitude would have brought us the title.

However, what I do find most disturbing is the praise heaped upon Djourou, who to me is the worst centre half, Gus Caesar excepted, that I have ever seen in an Arsenal shirt. His ability to read a game, and positional sense are non-existent, and his ability to tackle an on-running forward is farcical. He would not be considered for the reserves at ManUre, Chelsea, Liverpool, and dare I say it, the Spuds.

Whilst Senderous is no better than a fourth choice centre half, I consider him far superior to Djourou, and still remember his superb play during our Champions league campaign of 2006. I know that Drogba and Torres destroyed him, but they do that to many defenders when on song. The only centre half I have seen go toe to toe with Drogba, is Steven Taylor, and for the life of me I cannot understand why we have not bought him for the £3m being sought, he would work like a dream with the very impressive Vermaelen.

I hope I am proved wrong about the lack of application and mental attitude and it is possible to win a trophy, here's hoping!

Come on you Gunners!

Titi2

Current team

Post by Titi2 »

I'm not sure quite what to make of what i saw yesterday, despite a very good view from row UU at the Putney End. First, the team deserve much praise for grinding out a win when they could easily have lost the game. Beyond that, there remain real concerns, as Arsenal were outfought and outplayed for most of the match by a team of technically competent and physically strong players playing a thoroughly predictable game against us.

In terms of what it says about the current squad and the way the squad is used, I think the following, in no particular order -

(1) I have only ever seen Diaby play well in a marauding role behind a front man, against unsuspecting european teams (Fenerbahce, Roma) that stand off and give space to the opposition. He will not come good for us in the Premiership. Full stop. The comparisons (gone rather quiet of late) with PV4 are ridiculous. Needs replacing.

(2) Song is becoming a very good player (perhaps no surprise after his accolade at the last African Nations Cup) but he is not really a holding midfield player - his instincts are more progressive and some of our brightest moments yesterday were when he brought the ball forward and beat players. Against Wigan, Fulham, etc, we will get away with playing him in a central/holding role; against better teams we will not. Despite some real heroics from Gallas yesterday, the defence were regularly exposed by the simplest of Fulham approach play.

(3) Playing RvP as the out and out striker and Bendtner on the right is a nonsense. If we have faith in Bendtner (I think we should, he is still very young), we must surely play him as the out and out striker, with RvP either alongside him, or (better) in the DB10 position, or in the role he plays for Holland, on the right, so he can cut in and shoot with his left foot. When RvP doesnt play, Arshavin and Eduardo can play DB10.

(4) I agree that Fab is a real worry. Does he dislike the 4-3-3, or dislike playing with Diaby in the 4-3-3, or is he (like the rest of us) fed up that the money from Kolo and Greedybayor has gone to pay off some of the club's overdraft?

potter

Post by potter »

However, what I do find most disturbing is the praise heaped upon Djourou, who to me is the worst centre half, Gus Caesar excepted, that I have ever seen in an Arsenal shirt.

I agree that I am not convinced but , Ian Ure, Jeff Blockley , Igor Stepanovs (Henry) Terry Mancini were all in a similar class and would cost you as many games as the won for you.

Bring back Peter Simpson that's what I say.