Why not have Arsenal 06/07 for breakfast? (29 Nov)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
daddydryhead

Arsenal's Defending:naive or what.

Post by daddydryhead »

I am tempted to say we are too inexperienced and lightweight in midfield and the back to put pressure on teams to stop them shooting or crossing and to stop them form having unchallenged headers. But I won't. We simply do not follow basic defending tenets and I'm sure Freddie once said we don't worry too much about the other team we just concentrate on our own game. All our training is designed to get the ball from our penalty box to the opposition's and create an opening and none of it designed to stop the opposition creating one of their own. If Arsene says that we practice the latter then we need to get someone else in to show them how to do it properly. In addition, as much as I hate to say it, Phil Neville was right; we think we should not be tackled forcefully. Witness Freddie on Saturday. And Arseblog is right. The youngsters gave everything last season. It's the experienced ones who did not lead the way and stand up to be counted. Afetr every match it's the same mantra from Arsene; we played well, should have won etc. I even heard him say the other day that the stats showed we were the best team in the premiership. Stats do not win football matches. Scoring goals while not conceding them wins matches. Those are the only stats that matter. We are creating chances and not taking them. But we are giving too many goals away.