Time For Reality Mr Wenger

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
1962er

Time For Reality Mr Wenger

Post by 1962er »

:cry: Hopefully Arsene's comments after the Chelsea game will not be what he is thinking in private. He must now realise what the majority of Arsenal supporters knew quite a while ago, that this team is nowhere good enough to win a trophy. We will exit the League Cup this week as well!

Quite frankly, the Chelsea game was an embarrassment, with Chelsea superior in every department. Would Van Persie had made a difference? "Yes." Would we have still lost? "Yes." Chelsea will win the Premiership by a distance this season, and we will be fighting to hold on to fourth spot, as this defeat will have a huge effect upon many of our players confidence, as their mental strength I believe is quite poor.

Having watched the best football ever seen in this country between 2001-2004, (how did we foul up 2003?), I am now quite critical of many of the Arsenal players as they are not good enough to play in this team, and are vastly overpaid.

Arshavin was a disgrace against Chelsea, and I know this will upset quite a few people, but he is a luxury player who we did not need to buy as we already had too many good players who play in his position, and the money should have been spent on positions that need strengthening.

Our goalkeeper is only good enough as a back-up keeper.
We have full backs who are not good at defending, they fail to stop crosses coming into the area on a regular basis, and as we have small central defenders, we lose goals to headers. Wenger should make them watch videos of Dixon and Winterburn to understand what defending is all about. It was awful to see, but Cashley gave an expert display of what full back play should be, and now that he is no longer constrained by Mourinho, is there a better left back anywhere?
We need a top class central defender to replace Gallas next year. Yes he has played well so far, but it is height and aerial strength we need, and Gallas is not getting any younger. Also, our back-up central defenders are poor; I consider Djourou useless, and Senderos is a fourth central defender at best, but he really does make far fewer mistakes than Djourou.

Denilson is a joke, it is like he is our for a Sunday afternoon stroll when he plays. Most passes are made sideways, and any forward are rarely over 10 yards. He will always make sure that he never quite gets to a player to make a tackle. He reminds me so much of Paul Davis, another player who played the same way as Denilson and was bone idle. I have nightmares that Wenger intends to use Denilson to replace Song during January. Goodbye fourth spot?

Diaby should be replaced by Ramsey, and Wilshere and Merida should be used as back-up. If we fail to use these three players soon, we could lose some of the best talent that we have rather than the c*** we have in the team.

Up front Eduardo is not up to it against the best, Walcott is all speed and nothing else, Vela is all left foot, and Bendtner is an excellent impact player, but is a fourth choice front man.

I regret having to be so critical, I still believe Mr Wenger is the best man for the job, but he must now spend, and the board need to give him the money. I think the failure to spend has been a 50/50 fault between both of them, but this result has surely proved once and for all that this team is not at the races and requires many changes if we are to win a trophy.

PI7ES

Post by PI7ES »

This has been said for the last 5 years, and we all know nothing will change.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

I blame Pat Rice :banghead:

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

Its frustrating because you know that if he signed those 3 players we need we'ld challenge. It seems every year we sign 1 less player than we need and it comes back to haunt us.

Goalkeeper,Midfielder and striker are crucial, with a defender as well (though i'm a big fan of djourou when he's fit) Even with RVP we still need a powerful guy or at leats a goalscorer alongside him. Look how many goal Carlton Cole scored for West Ham, imagine what he'ld be like in our team with the chances we create.

There are two quality goalkeepers out there atm, the Akinev and the french No.1, we need one of these.

For a manger who signed Vieira,Petit,Gilberto,Edu, Wenger hasnt signed a battling midfielder in ages. Song's good, but what wrong with having another guy in there?

For me Wenger has to win something this year, or at least make a final. 6 years without a trophy is no a disaster, but it is when the manager says every year that we're ready when we're clearly not.

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

That Pat Rice comment is a fair point, too many 'yes' men surround Wenger.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

rigsby wrote:That Pat Rice comment is a fair point, too many 'yes' men surround Wenger.
It was sarcastic. A lot of people on here blame Pat Rice its Wenger who buys players and our team isnt good enough

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

Possibly, but Rice must surely see the problems as well. I'm not blaming him, just that sometimes you need a strong No.2

brazilianGOONER

Re: Time For Reality Mr Wenger

Post by brazilianGOONER »

1962er wrote: Would Van Persie had made a difference? "Yes." Would we have still lost? "Yes."
wow, you guys have some psychic abilities that i can just envy. :D

:roll:

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

The impression of Pat Rice is he is just a yes man who puts the cones out.Dont know why we didnt go after Steve Clarke after he left Chelsea

Wengers comments after the game yesterday were embarassing.Does he take us all for fools?

Rob

Post by Rob »

The Pat Rice issue is a difficult one as we may be doing Pat an injustice. We obviously don't know for sure what transpires between him and Wenger.

Having said that, I think it's more a case of Wenger being blinkered in his approach and dismissing any alternatives regardless.

It's worth noting the Ferguson - who comes across as even more of a monomaniac than Wenger - always seeks out an active No 2 and always has.

Mee had Don Howe; Joe Mercer hand Malcolm Allison at City; even Cloughie had Peter Taylor.

It's always dangerous even in good times, to exclude alternatives 'per se'. And these are not good times.

bergkamp10

Post by bergkamp10 »

flash gunner wrote:I blame Pat Rice :banghead:
Damn right, AW needs a few voices against this mood set within the club??

:banghead: :banghead:

skipper

Post by skipper »

One thing has become painfully clear to me over last 24hrs - it is too late to get rid of mr Wenger. We will all have to live with consequences of (not taking) that decision, while we watch CFC and MUFC score for fun against us at Emirates for seasons to come.

AW has a way too much power within a club and has changed it's structure beyond recognition. Even someone like Gus Hiddink would need at least 3 seasons to get things right; that means to get together a team capable of realistic challenge for trophies.

No manager should be given as much freedom as mr WEnger has been enjoying at AFC.

AFC has been steadily going backwards and backwards and backwards and future does not look any brighter. In fact, it looks really scary - especialy if certain American turns us into a 'franchise'.

Of course I'm expecting a loads of "f**k off and support Chelsea" comments, but anyone with grain of brain can see that once mighty AFC has become utterly average AFC. And I hate average.

perry groves was a legend

Post by perry groves was a legend »

TA6 would be a perfect no.2.

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

perry groves was a legend wrote:TA6 would be a perfect no.2.
which one, the one who said vermaelen was shit and no good for arsenal?

love ta6 as a player and person. only those two.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

perry groves was a legend wrote:TA6 would be a perfect no.2.
Jesus Christ one halfwit at the club is enough. :lol: