Burnley v Arsenal

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
topgoon

Post by topgoon »

Bring Back Pires wrote:But we can't play poorly and win everytime. As far as I see it, we've played poorly twice in four days, and still made off with four points. I'm not convinced our performances merited that return.

At the end of the day, if we beat Bolton at home (which is rather likely), we're five points off the leaders. Considering the injuries we've had, and the fact that it will only be early January by the time the game in hand is played - with the transfer window open - I'd say that the title isn't a million miles away.

Several weeks ago, everyone said that Chelsea would run away with it. But after failing to win in four (in all competitions), followed by a lumbering, penalty-enhanced victory over Portsmouth, accompanied by the upcoming ACN, I'd say that their early season form may be waivering. Let's face it, form is never permanent, and anything could happen to the two teams above us before the end of the season. At the going rate, I don't even think we have to be that consistent. But if we pick up the odd point from places like Burnley - where Man Utd lost - then it stands us in good stead.

I'm not a "rosetinter", just a fan that wants to win the league. For all intents and purposes, we're five points off the top and less than half way through the season, so I'm not going to give up on one of my loves and interests before I have to. If I conceded the title it would make for a rather boring season. Remember, at this point in 1997, we were sixth, and went on to win the league. I know times have changed, but it hardly requires a miracle, just some hard work and dedication; and probably some luck along the way too.

:barscarf:
Big point you're missing is 1997 was Bergkamp-fighter,Adams-fighter,Vieira-fighter,Keown,Dixon,Winterburn, I could go on forever.

Tonight we had Silvestre-useless lump of shite,Diaby-headless chicken that can't tackle for shite,Walcott-all pace and no talent,stamina and sometimes bottle. Eduardo-a goal poacher who's lost his goal poaching instincts.Nasri-classy player who suffers from home-sickness 5 minutes away from the Grove.

Frankly mentioning the 1997 team in the same paragraph as the bottlers we have now is not on. We only had 1 or 2 passengers in that team. Now I could probably only count about 6 or 7 players I would call hard workers and 2 of those are from the kids team.

You mentioned Bolton a game that's all the way in January. We host a good Aston Villa side Sunday week and I don't honestly see the result being different from last year's defeat. So we might need that game in hand just to hang onto Villas coat tails. I'd rather have points in the bag than stupid games in hand, it just leads to fixture congestion more injuries from our team of Bambis on ice and AW moaning about 3 games in a week :roll:

I could care less what Chelsea are doing but remember we lose our only half decent holding midfielder to the ACN as well and who will take his place for 4 weeks Denilson :banghead: :banghead: .

Burnley should have beaten us today for reasons that have existed for 3 years now but seem to be getting worse.

The winner of the league will be the most consistent team that fights for every point. We have very few players who do that or look like they gie shit in away games and for that reason I am very happy to write off our chances in the league in December, sorry not happy, disappointed but realistic. :(

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Bring Back Pires wrote: I'm not a "rosetinter", just a fan that wants to win the league. For all intents and purposes, we're five points off the top and less than half way through the season, so I'm not going to give up on one of my loves and interests before I have to. If I conceded the title it would make for a rather boring season.
I started the season genuinely upbeat about our chances of winning the league. I always thought we were underdogs but I genuinely felt we would surprise many people this season with our focus, consistency and defensive solidity :oops:

However, having watched every minute of our season so far (live, via internet, sky, etc) I just don't see a title winning team in Arsenal. I'm not even convinced it matters whether Chelsea are 2pts ahead or 10... I just don't believe we have the consistency in us to beat ManUre AND Chelsea to the title. Even if we were 5 points clear now, I'd still doubt our ability to keep ahead of our rivals when the pressure really starts in March.

I don't believe we defend with enough professionalism to win the league, as conceding 20 league goals in ONLY 16 games is outrageous! :? and I also question our consistency, focus and ability to battle our way through when our passing game deserts us, as it's prone to do away from home. Then there's the Almunia factor... and the Van Persie factor.

I'm not a pessimist, and I still believe the Champions League is possible... after all, that requires less games like Burnley/Sunderland away and more glamour ties where focus and determination isn't a problem.

But the league??? I want to say I believe we can win it, but that would be based on nothing more than blind faith, as what I've seen with my own eyes suggests we'll come up short again. But, all they can do is keep winning games and see where you end up in May....

PI7ES

Post by PI7ES »

topgoon wrote: Big point you're missing is 1997 was Bergkamp-fighter,Adams-fighter,Vieira-fighter,Keown,Dixon,Winterburn, I could go on forever.

Tonight we had Silvestre-useless lump of shite,Diaby-headless chicken that can't tackle for shite,Walcott-all pace and no talent,stamina and sometimes bottle. Eduardo-a goal poacher who's lost his goal poaching instincts.Nasri-classy player who suffers from home-sickness 5 minutes away from the Grove.

Frankly mentioning the 1997 team in the same paragraph as the bottlers we have now is not on. We only had 1 or 2 passengers in that team. Now I could probably only count about 6 or 7 players I would call hard workers and 2 of those are from the kids team.

You mentioned Bolton a game that's all the way in January. We host a good Aston Villa side Sunday week and I don't honestly see the result being different from last year's defeat. So we might need that game in hand just to hang onto Villas coat tails. I'd rather have points in the bag than stupid games in hand, it just leads to fixture congestion more injuries from our team of Bambis on ice and AW moaning about 3 games in a week :roll:

I could care less what Chelsea are doing but remember we lose our only half decent holding midfielder to the ACN as well and who will take his place for 4 weeks Denilson :banghead: :banghead: .

Burnley should have beaten us today for reasons that have existed for 3 years now but seem to be getting worse.

The winner of the league will be the most consistent team that fights for every point. We have very few players who do that or look like they gie shit in away games and for that reason I am very happy to write off our chances in the league in December, sorry not happy, disappointed but realistic. :(
100% agree we have no winners in our team, they have been brought through into our team losing. No bottle or winning mentality

Bring Back Pires

Post by Bring Back Pires »

topgoon wrote: Big point you're missing is 1997 was Bergkamp-fighter,Adams-fighter,Vieira-fighter,Keown,Dixon,Winterburn, I could go on forever.
There's no doubt that the 97/98 squad is far superior to the 09/10 squad, but playing devil's advocate, if they were that great, why were they sixth come Christmas time?

All those you mentioned had been playing from August 1997 - December 1997, so surely they weren't as invincible (no pun/reference intended) as many think.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

Good to see there is no over-reaction going on here :roll:

Yes, i was incredibly frustrated by how we seemed to rather be anywhere but in the cold after the first 15 of a match where we could have been 3-0 up. However, if I was offered 4 points from Liverpool and Burnley away prior to these fixtures I'd have snatched it with both hands.

If I'm honest, I dont think this team can win the league by leading the pack consistently over the season. If we were to win I reckon it would be because we managed to stay in the pack over Christmas/new year, keep below the radar and make a dramatic push towards the end. It is always going to be tight but the important thing is we remain in touch with those above us which i think we are.

marcengels

Post by marcengels »

g88ner wrote:
jtvercetti27 wrote:fucks sake. with the injury problems we've had this season you can't expect much else...
Unlucky gooners :barscarf: :barscarf:
Can't expect much else? Unlucky?:roll: :roll:

Regardless of injuries, our passing was very poor, Theo was dog shit, Almunia was just awful, Vermaelen's challenge for their penalty was idiotic, we got out battled again, and looked increasingly toothless and devoid of quaility/ideas as the game progressed.

Win, lose or draw tonight, I thought we were poor and quite frankly, I expect better, even if you don't!

4 points this week means we're still in pole position for a top 4 place, but Arsene spoke of the NEED for consistency after the Liverpool game, and it wasn't on show tonight, that's for sure!
Can we interest you in a "membership" yet g88ner? :lol: :lol:

marcengels

Post by marcengels »

Bring Back Pires wrote:
There's no doubt that the 97/98 squad is far superior to the 09/10 squad, but playing devil's advocate, if they were that great, why were they sixth come Christmas time?

All those you mentioned had been playing from August 1997 - December 1997, so surely they weren't as invincible (no pun/reference intended) as many think.
Because they played some really shit matches! :lol:

One argument goes to what Adams spoke to Wenger about around the turn of the year, that the new central midfield partnership of Petit/Veira were not giving enough protection to the back four. I guess things changed, quality came through, with added confidence, players with character made things happen and pulled things around.

8)

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

marcengels wrote:
g88ner wrote:
jtvercetti27 wrote:fucks sake. with the injury problems we've had this season you can't expect much else...
Unlucky gooners :barscarf: :barscarf:
Can't expect much else? Unlucky?:roll: :roll:

Regardless of injuries, our passing was very poor, Theo was dog shit, Almunia was just awful, Vermaelen's challenge for their penalty was idiotic, we got out battled again, and looked increasingly toothless and devoid of quaility/ideas as the game progressed.

Win, lose or draw tonight, I thought we were poor and quite frankly, I expect better, even if you don't!

4 points this week means we're still in pole position for a top 4 place, but Arsene spoke of the NEED for consistency after the Liverpool game, and it wasn't on show tonight, that's for sure!
Can we interest you in a "membership" yet g88ner? :lol: :lol:
I think Augie is sorting me out with a laminated membership card, marc! :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Yet Another 2 precious points dropped......WTF!.....If I was earning the wages some of them are on...I wouldn't stop running or trying....

We need a Ray Parlour type in mid-field...great engine who NEVER stopped runing and playing...oh and could shoot from distance.....The only player I can think of who fits that mould is Milner of villa - we could have bought him as well....and Given and...... :roll: :roll: :roll:

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

While it was dissapointing against a lower team, I don't think its a huge disaster tbh. They played like it was a cup game and they hassled us and got a point. As someone said these were two tricky away games, I thought we'ld be lucky to gert 2 points out of them let alone 4.

I'm not a rosetinter here but lets not overeact, we're still in the hunt, if we loose at home to Villa I'll concede its gone, but atm its just all 'IF's' Buts and Maybes