Formation?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
AFCWozza

Formation?

Post by AFCWozza »

Has this formation bored any of you guys yet?

4-4-2 for me please, play 2 up top, then Arshavin can be as lazy as he wants alongside another striker, we can have 4 across the midfield and a much better shape, getting caught out well to often in wide areas and not looking like breaking down sides anymore.

If you could play any formation what would it be and who would start?

Quintus

Re: Formation?

Post by Quintus »

AFCWozza wrote:Has this formation bored any of you guys yet?

4-4-2 for me please, play 2 up top, then Arshavin can be as lazy as he wants alongside another striker, we can have 4 across the midfield and a much better shape, getting caught out well to often in wide areas and not looking like breaking down sides anymore.

If you could play any formation what would it be and who would start?
When we get some strikers then yes 4-4-2. At the moment we don't have any

projoe

Post by projoe »

was going to make a thread myself y'day about this, but i thought spud would have locked it :lol:

ive had enough of 433/451, especially at home, just doesnt suit us :banghead:

bring 442 back! arshavin with eddie or bendtner :barscarf:

marcengels

Post by marcengels »

5-3-3

Play rush goalie

Song and Flamini alongside Fabregas

Huntelaar up front, with Arshavin off him

ohh.....

:banghead:

Quintus

Post by Quintus »

marcengels wrote:5-3-3

Play rush goalie

Song and Flamini alongside Fabregas

Huntelaar up front, with Arshavin off him

ohh.....

:banghead:
And Villa and Chamakh, aah

GunnerDude

Post by GunnerDude »

The formation works it just needs a quality strong leading striker like Ibrah/Eto'o for Barca, Drogba under Jose's time, Milito for Inter and in some cases Robin for us.

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

We should never play a 4-5-1 at home, although you would think a 4-5-1 would give better cover for the full backs, it certainly didn't yesterday, especially down our left flank.

It could also be a personnel problem, I don't think you can play Rosicky, Nasri and Arshavin in the same team, especially with a non tackling, non tracking back, midfield player in Denilson.

So yes, bring back a 4-4-2, please.

marcengels

Post by marcengels »

GunnerDude wrote:The formation works it just needs a quality strong leading striker like Ibrah/Eto'o for Barca, Drogba under Jose's time, Milito for Inter and in some cases Robin for us.
Without some idea of collective defensive attitude, and tactical discipline, it wont work Dude.

:cry:

Bergkamp-Genius

Post by Bergkamp-Genius »

Don't tell me it's this Wozza character moaning about the Arsenal again :roll:
..call yourself a fan..moaning about the formation... who the f*ck do you think you are :roll:...
fans never used to moan about the formation in the good old days :wink: ...if the manager thinks it's right you don't question it, don't moan about it, just keep turning up paying your money, singing ''stand up if you hate tottenham''.... like the good old days....thats what real fans do...you just leave the formation to the manager, he knows :lol: :wink: ...

AFCWozza

Post by AFCWozza »

Bergkamp-Genius wrote:Don't tell me it's this Wozza character moaning about the Arsenal again :roll:
..call yourself a fan..moaning about the formation... who the f*ck do you think you are :roll:...
fans never used to moan about the formation in the good old days :wink: ...if the manager thinks it's right you don't question it, don't moan about it, just keep turning up paying your money, singing ''stand up if you hate tottenham''.... like the good old days....thats what real fans do...you just leave the formation to the manager, he knows :lol: :wink: ...
:lol:

Believe it or not, i do feel down about certain things you know mate, im not a robot put on here to wind everybody up. I dont think you will ever see the best out of Arshavin, Eduardo, Rosicky, Nasri, Walcott or Bendtner using this formation..

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

AFCWozza wrote:
Bergkamp-Genius wrote:Don't tell me it's this Wozza character moaning about the Arsenal again :roll:

Believe it or not, i do feel down about certain things you know mate, im not a robot put on here to wind everybody up. I dont think you will ever see the best out of Arshavin, Eduardo, Rosicky, Nasri, Walcott or Bendtner using this formation..
You'll be waiting a long time to see the best out of these 2 players, using any formation you can think off. :?

PI7ES

Post by PI7ES »

Song isnt quick enough to play in a 442, it would mean cesc will have to do alot more defending. Also with both our wingers wanted to come inside everytime they get the ball its pointless. If we buy 2 proper hug the touchline wingers then maybe. We would need a flamini type midfielder to play with cesc aswell not a song type.

marcengels

Post by marcengels »

franksav63 wrote:
AFCWozza wrote:

You'll be waiting a long time to see the best out of these 2 players, using any formation you can think off. :?
The only formations that I can think Frank that would help some of our players begin with BA or EZY. :cry:

GunnerDude

Post by GunnerDude »

marcengels wrote:
GunnerDude wrote:The formation works it just needs a quality strong leading striker like Ibrah/Eto'o for Barca, Drogba under Jose's time, Milito for Inter and in some cases Robin for us.
Without some idea of collective defensive attitude, and tactical discipline, it wont work Dude.

:cry:
Obviously that seems to be were we fail everytime. You cant have all that attacking threat without a very capable DM not to mention CMs who have good defensive positioning.

Barca have Yaya/Ketia/Busquet who play the DM role with Xavi who most forget used to be a DM himself while Iniesta runs free.
Inter have Motta/Cambiasso/Zanetti/Muntari while Sneijder causes chaos.

Note that both these teams have 2 DMs who have great defensive covering abilities and can break forward delivering good passes as they go along.

In our case we have
Song decent defending ability, can pass to some degree, decent box to box skills
Diaby below decent defending, can pass when he doesn't hug the ball, good box to box skills
Denilson shit at everything
while Cesc is free to roam.

Unlike the rest we always have something missing in the other two midfielders.
Anyway they are going nowhere with those loooooong term contracts so lets sit back and enjoy :D
Cesc will probably go and then we will have something missing in the whole midfield.

Bergkamp-Genius

Post by Bergkamp-Genius »

It's not a coincidence we started playing this formation at the beginning of this season after our midfield struggling last season...
We had the perfect personnel to play this formation for many years and rarely did, the main reason we play it now is because we don't have a strong enough midfield to play 4-4-2 any more, particularly in the centre, Song is barely good enough to hold the middle with another defensive midfielder never mind on his own..