Thankyou Mr.Wenger

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
hatemanu99

Post by hatemanu99 »

flash gunner wrote:
hatemanu99 wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
hatemanu99 wrote:
flash gunner wrote:The same thread could have appeared on a Forest forum about Clough in '92.... Now im not saying Wenger will get us relegated but sometimes you can stay somewhere too long. That happened with Clough and personally i think this is happening now
If you honestly believe we will be anywhere being relegated at any time in the next 20 years, you have no idea about modern football. Forest went down just as the Premier was becoming big i.e. just the wrong time. Money played very little part back then. The money this club makes will ensure we're up there. The only possible way our top flight existence could be threatened is if every club got taken over by a Mansour/Abramovich, which simply won't happen in my opinion.

Then again if you think internet fans' forums existed in 1992 you could conceivably believe anything.
Firstly i said Wenger wont get us relegated read my post!!!!!! :banghead:

Secondly i said this could have been on a Forest forum ie wasnt but could have been :banghead: :banghead:
So what is your point? That Wenger has been here too long and what? We won't ever win anything again?
Yep well worked out :roll:

Read my first post again but remember this time i wrote Wenger WONT get us relegated and it COULD have been on a Forest forum (not that it was) :banghead: remember also i said i think he has been here too long :roll:
I realise you said he won't get us relegated. And that it could have been on a forum, if one existed. And that he has perhaps outstayed his welcome. But I still don't know what your point is. If we won't suffer the same fate as Forest, what are you saying will happen?

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

hatemanu99

What im saying is.... Swale listed the honours (in his first post) about Wenger and they are amazing, now if there was a Forest forum in '92 a Swale type poster could have listed the things Clough had done for Forest but did that mean Clough should have stayed there? and get them relegated? because of his past brilliant perfomance as manager?

I was trying to compare this to Wenger with us... He has done wonders at our club and will be one of, if not the best AFC manager EVER but that doesnt mean we have to put up with his 'project' and refusal to buy better players than we have currently according to Wenger we have the money!!!!!

I think Wenger has been here too long and now cant see the wood for the trees... Do i have to explain that saying? :wink:

Ive tried my hardest to break my first post down for you hatemanu99 but personally i think ive made it more confusing. :? Please read my first post again my views are there in (black) red and white 8)

RoscommonGooner

Post by RoscommonGooner »

hatemanu99 wrote:As angry as I am that we didn't spend the money we allegedly have, and that players like Denilson and Almunia are being persisted with, I honestly believe the club remains constrained by its debt. United, Liverpool, Chelsea and City are all living a very precarious existence. Likely another rich fcuker will come in and takeover when the last one has had enough, but just as likely people will realise Sky have created a huge bubble and the Premiership is as over-valued as the banks were and our property market is. It simply cannot go on like this forever.

The policy will bear fruit eventually. Ticket prices are extortionate and Wenger is rewarding mediocre players with huge contracts. But I'm confident he can turn things around.

Those of you 'sensing the end' will be waiting a long time, cos Wenger is going nowhere til he's seen the project through. Whether that's by admitting at the end it didn't work, or whether it's by proving this team is as good as he says it is; he'll do it. He's not the perennial winner Fergie or Mourinho are because he doesn't believe in winning at all costs. But he is a winner. He won't quit this club til we have the champions league. I just pray that it comes before the chavs do it.
Those of you 'sensing the end' of ManUre or Liverhoof will be waiting a lot longer.

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

SPUDMASHER wrote:So, apart from aquaducts, the education system, the sewers etc etc etc.

What have The Romans ever done for us? :lol: :lol: :lol:
:evil: You beat me to it, Spuddy :wink:

I've been thinking about that classic moment in film. For a couple of days now.

For those poor mortals who have never seen it......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso :lol:

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

This is an April 1st thread. :roll: :roll:

Before anyone starts putting words in my mouth - I do NOT want to see Arsene leave or be sacked and I have the utmost respect for what he has done for Arsenal.

I do however want Arsene to realise that his reliance on sub-standard players, and putting them on excessive contracts, is holding the Club back. Also - the lack of defensive cohesion in the team at present is a sick joke.

I seem to remember the author was one of the loudest voices saying that bringing Vieira back would be a bad idea, despite all that Patrick did for our great Club. In Patrick's case past achievements should be left in the past.

But - the author says that the same logic must not be applied to Arsene and we must stick with him whatever happens. You can't have it both ways as nobody goes on forever.

Football at the top level is a ruthless business and the Club is more important that any one individual - even an individual as brilliant as Arsene.

Carw2005

Post by Carw2005 »

Wenger is in the majority of my Arsenal memories, but there was an AFC before AW and will be after. No other ''Big Club'' in the World would give so many unsuccessful seasons without a change.

If AW cannot compete, and if he has money to invest but is too stubborn, if he cant see Denilson is a major wink link in an under acheiving team, them he has obviously peaked and should be replaced with another quality manager like Rjikaard, Hiddink etc.

However the season is not over yet and this team is clearly the 3rd best in England. With right amount of investment in key areas we can win the league! I suppose that is the most annoying thing about the situation!

Im happy giving AW until Winter January next year to invest in this under par team, if he doesnt he should go.

but as we all know, if we win Sunday all these threads callin for AWs head will look ridiculous.

Rob

Re: Thankyou Mr.Wenger

Post by Rob »

Its Up 4 Grabs Now wrote:
Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:Wenger has took an awful lot of stick this week, the amount of negative threads is getting silly...thought it was time to have a look at what he has actually done for us...i have highlighted but a few of them! lay off the bloke... he is a genius and all the while he wants to be at Arsenal im happy to have him!
We have a lot to be thankful to Bergkamp for. And Henry. And Vieira. And Bobby. And TA6. And while we’re at it, Brady. And Drake. And Bastin. And O’Leary even. And Bould. And a hundred and one others. How many of those would you want in our current first team though? I'm pretty sure you yourself said you were against Paddy returning cos no matter what he achieved for us in the past he wasn’t up to it anymore.

Why should Wenger be any different? If he’s still up to the task then fair enough. But his past achievements only count for so much in that regard. Wenger was ruthless enough to get rid of great players at the right time once they were past their best, cos it was in the best interests of the team and the club. A man of his principles should understand the same should apply for him.

Just so ! For all the heartfelt bleat of Swale's original post the fact is you get no goals or points in 2010 for what you did in 2004.

And it really is otiose to thank Wenger for not going to Real Madrid. He knows - and so should anyone else thinking about it - that he wouldn't last two seasons at that nut house.

I will still wait until May to judge him. Although whatever happens he'll be here for one more season beyond this one. And the same goes for Fabregas. However, if it's 'Groundhog Day' come 2010/11 then I could see the latter and then the former, departing.

GallasVoice

Post by GallasVoice »

Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:For....

Constructing some of the best Arsenal squads in the history of the club

Introducing advanced methods of training and diet to our club

Teaching the team to play ther best football Arsenal have ever whitnessed

Signing the clubs all time record goalscorer

Going 49 games unbeaten and breaking a 100 odd year old record

Winning the Premiership 3 times

Wnning the FA Cup 4 times

Taking the club to its first ever Champions league final

Orchestrating a move to a brand new 60,000 capacity stadium

Keeping the morals of the club in tact

Staying with us even though constantly being wanted by club and national teams

Not putting the future of the club at risk by wasting money the club doesnt have

Wenger has took an awful lot of stick this week, the amount of negative threads is getting silly...thought it was time to have a look at what he has actually done for us...i have highlighted but a few of them! lay off the bloke... he is a genius and all the while he wants to be at Arsenal im happy to have him!
great shout swale. :barscarf:

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

piresistible wrote:DELETED BY MOD FOR PLAGARISM
The flaw in your reasoning is that Bendtner is no Anelka or even a lazy Berbatov. Yes I know he's only young but we are all hoping Fabregas will decide that winning trophies isn't everything and will keep staying at the club whilst talent gets nurtured. Personally if I was him loyalty would only go so far, especially when he realises that Ji Sung Park has a champions league winners medal as other average fucking players who happen to be at clubs where averageness is in the minority and world class or at least sub-world class is in the majority.

What do those 2 clubs have that we don't...a good spine. Our first choice goalie would not get a contract in any other top 8 club. I can accept AW's myopia with most things except when it comes to keeping players who will never win us the league... At the very least get us a decent goalie.

Our goal keepers have cost us 6 points this season,3 dropped at United,we could have gotten a point at City and the 2 dropped at the hammers. We would be top of the league, even with the home humiliations(that's what they were) by Manure and CSKA London.

Your reasoning would work if we didn't have the worst goal keeper of all teams in the top 8. Even f'ing Gomes at Spurs is looking better than him lately.

GoonerN5

Post by GoonerN5 »

TeeCee wrote:I just wish Wenger would fuck off and manage Chavski, Moan Ure etc etc. The man is a dinosaur with no comprehension of what is required to bring success to Arsenal. He is not capable of changing tactics to win a game, he is not capable of being ruthless enough to rid our club of the dreadful dead wood we have acquired under him, he is not capable of moving Arsenal up a level, he is not capable of admitting he has got it wrong...badly, over the last few years.

If Arsenal fail to reach the CL in the next few years (quite a possibility) then we will be somewhere around £40m worse off. Couple that with the inevitable drop in attendances and merchandising etc that goes with it, Arsenal will be making a substantial loss. That will lead to cuts in wages etc and that will mean either raising ticket prices further or looking at a more realistic target for the club - Europa league?
There is no excuse for continually selling our better players, retaining and rewarding below standard or injury prone players and not re-investing in quality players. That is a business model that CANNOT succeed in todays football, like it or not. You either move with the times or get left behind. We started to move.....with the Emirates, but have since gone backwards, you cannot sell out a 60,000 stadium charging the highest average prices in the world, when you're putting half a team of dross on the pitch. Something has to change at Arsenal and it's either the squad, the manager, or both.
Spot on, we are miles behind Chelsea and Man U, plus all the other clubs challenging for 4th, Villa, Man City and the **** are all getting stronger, whilst we in many ways are going backwards. We will never win anything under Wenger again unless he changes his ways, we are paying shit loads to watch shit players, Wenger is tactically niave and will never admit to being wrong.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:
Wenger put this club where it is today, within the top 3 clubs in English football, having done so without spending billions like Chelsea and United have, he deserves massive applause for that!
The rest of your post is opinion and that's fine but I must take you to task on that paragraph above.

Arsenal were always historically one of the top three clubs in England (based on trophies won, history, fan base, prestige etc) so I wouldn't agree Wenger put us there.

Indeed in the old (pre Sky) days it was a "top 5" clubs - Us, the mancs, the mousers the scum and the toffees. Chavs were never part of the "Big 5".

I agree though that Wenger has done much to shape modern Arsenal and the club and fans will always owe him their gratitude but I totally disagree with anyone that thinks this gives him a job for life. Club first, everything and evryone else second. There was an Arsenal long long before Wenger (and before the PL we were more successful than manure) and there will be an Arsenal long after he is gone.

I just hope his legacy is not tainted by a decade long streak with no trophies... :?

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Swale_Gooner1985 wrote:the club at risk by wasting money the club doesnt have
????????????? :?

Wenger - There's 10 players we can't afford (August, 2009)

"There are only a few players who have a price which we cannot reach - maybe 10 in the world but, for the rest, we have access to the market"

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-story

“We have a team. If we have to add one, even at 30 [million] we can do it, if not we can rely on what we have.â€

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I agree buying a player or two won't break us. And we could easily afford it if we weren't pissing thousands up the wall on big contracts for kids and for shite like Denilson, Walcott, Eboue and Bendtner!

We should pay our young unproven players a pittance and let them develop the hunger to succeed and to become wealthy and then reward their effort, not make them wealthy and then expect them to work hard when they know they don't have to. :banghead:

SCREAM AIM FIRE

Post by SCREAM AIM FIRE »

anyone else think a certain mr wenger has 2 accounts on this site? :P
swale and brazillian :-P :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SCREAM AIM FIRE wrote:anyone else think a certain mr wenger has 2 accounts on this site? :P
swale and brazillian :-P :lol:
:lol: