WHATS THE BEST EVER PERFORMANCE FROM AN ARSENAL TEAM

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
clockendal

Post by clockendal »

This Is The Daybreak wrote:In my time of supporting Arsenal the 94 Cup Winners Cup Final and Madrid 06 are in my mind. Expected to be done over, dogged with injuries/suspensions we gave a backs to the wall job against both of them.

Lehmann, Eboue, Flamini, Senderos, Toure, Henry, Seaman, Dixon, Winterburn, Bould, Adams and Smith we salute you....both games similar in the sense that is was a real defensive job and a moment of magic from a lone striker won it.
I'd say the 2 performances were quite different though.

From what I can recall in 94 it was very much a backs to the wall job and we had to dig in and battle to get the result. Smudger's goal was a great strike but I wouldn't quite put it up with Henry's.

Also in 06 we actually out played Real Madrid in their own backyard, we bossed them.

That said 94 was for a trophy !! I loved both of them !!

clockendal

Post by clockendal »

I think the best Arsenal performance was Anfield '89...nothing like that will happen again.

Gunnerboy

Post by Gunnerboy »

San siro 08 Ac Milan 0-Arsenal 2 now that was magical would never forget that first goal. FABREGAS....................

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I count myself as being very fortunate to have been at many of the matches -

Anfield 89, Copenhagen, San Siro, Sampdoria (payback for 6 hours in the car park)!! WHL in the league cup semi final (Rocky), 5-1 win at Villa in the 80's - Tony Woodcock!, 3-2 win at Chelsea....Kanuuuuuuuuuu

Post by 1989 »

Gunnerboy wrote:San siro 08 Ac Milan 0-Arsenal 2 now that was magical would never forget that first goal. FABREGAS....................
Adewankwhore was absolutely breathtaking that day...

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

It's got to be Anfield hasn't it - look at the odds, look at the situation and more importantly the respective strengths of the teams. I still think man for man the Mickeys had better individual players but my God did GG know how to reverse the odds.

He could do with giving the Goon In Charge a lecture in Mental Strength i.e. Anfield 89, Copenhagen 94

The Caped Crusader

Post by The Caped Crusader »

1994/5 Sampdoria vs Arsenal Cup Winners' Cup, Semi-final, 2nd Leg. Talk about drama. A Gunners side that was struggling in the league but invincible in Europe. It was a team run on guts, character and produced an amazing series of European smash and grabs, this one being the highlight.

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

unoriginally I'll say Copenhagen
pre-match I expected zola, brolin and asprilla to all score
one of the best nights of my life - got the travel club flight home that night
the team where on the same plane (in '1st class')
TA kept coming on the tannoy telling people to drink more
Smudger was carried off the plane, everyone was too pished/knackered to sing when we landed (think we got delayed quite a lot)
I thought I was the only one still singing 1-0 to the Arsenal at Stanstead but some other mad gooner behind me was
he jumped on my back and we danced around singing like loons
when he got off it was Ian Wright!
I was so surprised I walked stright into MarkFlatts and knocked him over (think he was pretty drunk)

Steve Bould gave what was IMO the best performance I've ever seen from a defender that night

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

TeeCee wrote:I count myself as being very fortunate to have been at many of the matches -

Anfield 89, Copenhagen, San Siro, Sampdoria (payback for 6 hours in the car park)!! WHL in the league cup semi final (Rocky), 5-1 win at Villa in the 80's - Tony Woodcock!, 3-2 win at Chelsea....Kanuuuuuuuuuu
I seem to recall that it was 6-1 at Villa Park with Tony Woodcock getting 5 and David O'leary getting the other. It was in the days when those scorelines just didn't happen - but spoilt a little by a Liverpool player also scoring 5 on the same day!

WHL in the league cup semi replay was a good call. 0-1 down from the home leg. 0-1 down in the second, until the half time "how to get your Wembley tickets..." announcement, and I think we also went 0-1 down in the replay. Some night!!

Agree that Copenhagen 94 has to be the unspectacular best. We wouldn't have been favourites with a full team out but without Wrighty....not a chance. Anyone remember who our star warm up celeb was before the game.....? .............Jeremy Beadle! I didn't realise at the time that he was a big gooner. Another great night!!

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

MK Gould wrote:Agree that Copenhagen 94 has to be the unspectacular best. We wouldn't have been favourites with a full team out but without Wrighty....not a chance. Anyone remember who our star warm up celeb was before the game.....? .............Jeremy Beadle! I didn't realise at the time that he was a big gooner. Another great night!!
Apparently he went to his grave still feeling like he’d had a small hand in that victory.

marcengels

Post by marcengels »

Its Up 4 Grabs Now wrote:
MK Gould wrote:Agree that Copenhagen 94 has to be the unspectacular best. We wouldn't have been favourites with a full team out but without Wrighty....not a chance. Anyone remember who our star warm up celeb was before the game.....? .............Jeremy Beadle! I didn't realise at the time that he was a big gooner. Another great night!!
Apparently he went to his grave still feeling like he’d had a small hand in that victory.
:lol: :lol:

GallasVoice

Post by GallasVoice »

I'm going to say arsenal 5-3 boro' in 2004/05, yeah it was only boro' but we made coming back from 3-1 down look easy that day and that goes to show what a great side we were.

my dad would definately say anfield 89, but i was too young to remmber it live.

Connolly55

Post by Connolly55 »

When we beat Everton 7-0 at home i think it was 2006. The football we played was pure class that day.

SPUDMASHER

Post by SPUDMASHER »

I had the pleasure of being at Anfield in 1989 but in recent years it would be the 5-3 game against Boro. I went through every emotion that day.

charliegeorgewhocanhitem

Post by charliegeorgewhocanhitem »

Anderlecht home in the 1970 Fairs cup final. Won 3-0 and won the final 4-3 on aggregate after being 3-0 down at one point in the 1st leg. Unfortunately I was'nt there but those that were say it was the best night ever at Highbury. Not sure, maybe oldgit was there so he could shed some more light on it :barscarf:
Of course Anfied 89, no need to say anymore about that :barscarf: :barscarf:
5-0 away to the **** xmas 78. "Siiiiiilent spurs, siiiilent spurs" :lol: :lol:
I could list loads more from over the years but it would take too long :wink: