WHAT WAS IT LIKE TO STAND ON THE NORTH BANK?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

charliegeorgewhocanhitem wrote:
Reg Niseth wrote:
Eboue-Why? wrote:One thing I also remember was that for a couple of seasons there was somebody who stood at the front who had a big Union Jack that they always used to wave whenever we scored.

There are so many memories, we could all write a book and just like sex you always remember your first time! Mine was against ManUre, 2-1 down, won 3-2 thanks to Supermac and someone next to me set fire to a ManUre scarf!
All the games post 1970 are still fresh in the memory and that Man City game gentleman have mentioned was just manic. Couldn't bleedin move. MARVELLOUS!! :barscarf:
union jack - this was john and mary badger. She wore a hat with badges on the brim, his jacket was covered in them

Book - already done The End - tom Watt

Anyone know what happened to badger and his missus?
Another character I remember from that time was "Harry" and his little mob who always stood in the middle of the west stand terrace, wonder if he's still about.
John used to live near Seven Kings station (near Ilford), my mate and I gave him a lift back from the station once, after going to an away game against Leeds in the league cup in the late 70's. Don't know what happened to him or his missus though. :?

mikeyb772001
Location: Block 6! Drunk and standing next to a mad man with no clothes on!

Post by mikeyb772001 »

God it was crazy, my first ever match was standing in the northbank and i had never been a match before. It cost me £4.00 adults were £8 if i remember right! I stood right in the middle in front of a barrier , there was a walk way in front of the barrier and i always saw tom watts (lofty from eastenders walking up and down it!
It stunk of piss and stale beer but it was the fukin nuts, i used to shit , myself when we sung "lets go fucking mental as i would get crushed against the barrier unless i moved up and down with the mad surges! i remember beating sheffield wednesday 7.1 and thinking please no more goals hahah! That match a big bald fella everyone called slap head picked me up and helped me through a real crazy surge! like most kids then i was a propa short arse i couldnt see fuck all!
Fuck those were the days, and no way did arsenal tell the truth about capacity, some matches u couldnt even move!!!!
Loud as fuck too!!!!

mikeyb772001

Re: WHAT WAS IT LIKE TO STAND ON THE NORTH BANK?

Post by mikeyb772001 »

merson_is_god wrote:I always wish I could have stood on the North Bank or at least seen it. My Dad took me to my first game in the mural season :(

Can anyone tell me what was at the back of the terrace? What was to the left and right of the roof? What were the facilities like?

How long did it take to get in on a matchday when queuing and what was in the North Bank when you went through the turnstiles but not inside of the pitch? Does anyone have any photos or know anywhere that I could view some on the internet? :barscarf:
God it was crazy, my first ever match was standing in the northbank and i had never been a match before. It cost me £4.00 adults were £8 if i remember right! I stood right in the middle in front of a barrier , there was a walk way in front of the barrier and i always saw tom watts (lofty from eastenders walking up and down it!
It stunk of piss and stale beer but it was the fukin nuts, i used to shit , myself when we sung "lets go fucking mental as i would get crushed against the barrier unless i moved up and down with the mad surges! i remember beating sheffield wednesday 7.1 and thinking please no more goals hahah! That match a big bald fella everyone called slap head picked me up and helped me through a real crazy surge! like most kids then i was a propa short arse i couldnt see fuck all!
Fuck those were the days, and no way did arsenal tell the truth about capacity, some matches u couldnt even move!!!!
Loud as fuck too!!!!

charliegeorgewhocanhitem

Post by charliegeorgewhocanhitem »

Reg Niseth wrote:
Reg Niseth wrote:
Eboue-Why? wrote:One thing I also remember was that for a couple of seasons there was somebody who stood at the front who had a big Union Jack that they always used to wave whenever we scored.

There are so many memories, we could all write a book and just like sex you always remember your first time! Mine was against ManUre, 2-1 down, won 3-2 thanks to Supermac and someone next to me set fire to a ManUre scarf!
All the games post 1970 are still fresh in the memory and that Man City game gentleman have mentioned was just manic. Couldn't bleedin move. MARVELLOUS!! :barscarf:
union jack - this was john and mary badger. She wore a hat with badges on the brim, his jacket was covered in them

Another character I remember from that time was "Harry" and his little mob who always stood in the middle of the west stand terrace, wonder if he's still about.
no idea, I think the question has been asked many times without an definitive answer.

Harry - yes I remember him. I stood with him and that little mob for about half a season. Tall bloke with a bit of a nose if I remember. No idea if he's still about. I do know that a certain 60s/70s terrace legend was meant to be visiting the grove for a game this season. :wink:

Yep, tall bloke with a nose, long hair and a dodgy rainicoat is how I remember him :lol: You mean a terrace legend who was rumoured to be dead at one time? Wonder what he'll make of a visit to the bowl :roll: Not sure if I ever set eyes on him but his name was legend in my very early days at Highbury.

charliegeorgewhocanhitem

Post by charliegeorgewhocanhitem »

franksav63 wrote:
Reg Niseth wrote:

John used to live near Seven Kings station (near Ilford), my mate and I gave him a lift back from the station once, after going to an away game against Leeds in the league cup in the late 70's. Don't know what happened to him or his missus though. :?
Cheers Frank, speed through Seven Kings on the train every time I go to London, hard to find a train that actually stops there :wink: :lol: Hopefully he's somewhere comfortable watching us with a rug over his knees and a cup of cocoa in his hand like I will be in a couple of years time :wink: :lol:

mikeyb772001

Post by mikeyb772001 »

Southampton 92 was the nuts mate, first half you could tell everyone was real down and not as noisy. Then Some fella stood up on one the barriers and really shouted at everyone to get behind the team and make some real noise for the last time in the north bank! That was it, the whole place went crazy for the second half and it was the loudest i had heard since i stood there.Ian wright won the golden boot that match in the last few minutes, and steamed into the front of north bank. We didnt leave that day for ages after the match and made a fire after the match! In the end the poice steamed in and that was the last time we stood in the north bank!

I wish i knew who that guy was, or if anyone remembers that at all...

merson_is_god wrote:Thank you all so much for giving me an insight on what it was like on the North Bank...

Keep the memories coming, really appreciate them!

Just out of interest can anybody recall the following games from the North Bank...

1. Anderlecht 70
2. Chelsea 73
3. Aston Villa when they won the league 81
4. Mc Clair misses a penalty 87
5. 88/89 season Norwich, Derby, Wimbledon 88/89
6. The last game of the North Bank, Southampton 92

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

franksav63 wrote:
Reg Niseth wrote:

Cheers Frank, speed through Seven Kings on the train every time I go to London, hard to find a train that actually stops there :wink: :lol: Hopefully he's somewhere comfortable watching us with a rug over his knees and a cup of cocoa in his hand like I will be in a couple of years time :wink: :lol:
Yes, Charlie.... I'm doing that now mate.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: