Arsenal tactics: which formations were used under Wenger?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Pott

Arsenal tactics: which formations were used under Wenger?

Post by Pott »

And with which player?
I don't know why but I find myself having an unhealthy obsession with formations/tactics. Which I guess is weird as both an Arsenal and PSG fan :lol: Anyway I was watching those Henry goals from that other thread and noticed a few different style of play.

So I'm going to go wild there and take a guess that it's not always been 4 4 2? I know the invincible season used this, with Viera/Gilberto in the middle, Pires/Ljungberg on the wings and Henry/Bergkamp up front but it seems that the season after there was only Henry up front, with Reyes playing more on the wings but of course I can't be sure (didn't know anything about football back then, still don't :lol: ).

So... in the Wenger years, what have been the 'typical' successful Arsenal formations and who played where..?

Swale_Gooner1985

Re: Arsenal tactics: which formations were used under Wenger

Post by Swale_Gooner1985 »

Pott wrote:And with which player?
I don't know why but I find myself having an unhealthy obsession with formations/tactics. Which I guess is weird as both an Arsenal and PSG fan :lol: Anyway I was watching those Henry goals from that other thread and noticed a few different style of play.

So I'm going to go wild there and take a guess that it's not always been 4 4 2? I know the invincible season used this, with Viera/Gilberto in the middle, Pires/Ljungberg on the wings and Henry/Bergkamp up front but it seems that the season after there was only Henry up front, with Reyes playing more on the wings but of course I can't be sure (didn't know anything about football back then, still don't :lol: ).

So... in the Wenger years, what have been the 'typical' successful Arsenal formations and who played where..?
There were spells where Henry played up front on his own, mainly in away games against big clubs, but apart from the odd occasion i think most on here would agree it wasnt that successful

and apart from that its been 4-4-2 up until this season where we are playing 4-3-3

worthing gooner

Post by worthing gooner »

Our Champions League run when we made it to Paris was a 4 5 1, a tad boring but it worked. Well nearly, I loved the Bernabeau trip though.

digger

Post by digger »

Did Wenger carry on Bruce Rioch's 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 for his first few games?

You could argue our 2001-2004 team almost played 4-2-4 with Ljungberg and Pires pushed so far forward they were almost strikers.

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Is it just me.....? I've managed to watch football for 35 years and still don't really understand the formation/tactical bit..... Maybe if I sat in the upper tier then I might know what people are talking about with their 4-5-1 and 4-4-2.... But whether it was from the side of the Northbank, middle of the Clock End, Yellow Section etc etc.... I've always just enjoyed the game for what it is..... :oops: !

greatgooner

Post by greatgooner »

MK Gould wrote:Is it just me.....? I've managed to watch football for 35 years and still don't really understand the formation/tactical bit..... Maybe if I sat in the upper tier then I might know what people are talking about with their 4-5-1 and 4-4-2.... But whether it was from the side of the Northbank, middle of the Clock End, Yellow Section etc etc.... I've always just enjoyed the game for what it is..... :oops: !

Ditto, my excuse has always been that there is too much read into all that. :? :lol:

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

I do love a good formations thread!

:lol:

Pott

Post by Pott »

Hehe I tend to over analyze everything. When I watch the game I pay attention to the moves and the play, I don't care so much about tactics, but I do find myself noticing changes from time to time, and it always gets me curious. I used to think that a team was just the sum of all players but there's a lot more to it than that I think :barscarf:

Kiwi Gooner

Post by Kiwi Gooner »

MK Gould wrote:Is it just me.....? I've managed to watch football for 35 years and still don't really understand the formation/tactical bit..... Maybe if I sat in the upper tier then I might know what people are talking about with their 4-5-1 and 4-4-2.... But whether it was from the side of the Northbank, middle of the Clock End, Yellow Section etc etc.... I've always just enjoyed the game for what it is..... :oops: !
No, it's not just you, MK.
I've been playing football since 1974 and I still don't know what the fuck they're on about with this formation cack! :lol: