The most galling thing

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
the playing mantis

The most galling thing

Post by the playing mantis »

Ok its probably been mentioned countless times, but i think its one thing rosetinters and realists can agree on regardless of if we win the league or not.

If we had spent 15-20 million that WE DO HAVE (we might not have 30-40 for transfer) to spend on transfers, either in the summer or in january on 1 or 2 players, then we would be top of the league by a few points.

We spent nothing, but could have. Other teams cant say this as they did spend if they could afford it (united couldnt afford it due to the uncertainty of there debt situation in the summer)

That is the unacceptable thing this season. Hampering ourselves needlessly.

PI7ES

Post by PI7ES »

We needed a center half badly, we all knew if gallas or tv got injured we would be fucked. Sol has done a great job but it is a big ask for him to play 2 games a week.

I dont think it is possible to buy a keeper in jan, most wouldnt sell as it means they have little or no time buy buy a replacement.

slevinlacey

Post by slevinlacey »

Is it me or is Average Al slowly becoming more and more crazy. I noticed it since he has been playing with his shirt tucked out, the way he runs to get the ball, i think the guy is losing his marbles!

augie

Re: The most galling thing

Post by augie »

the playing mantis wrote:Ok its probably been mentioned countless times, but i think its one thing rosetinters and realists can agree on regardless of if we win the league or not.
If we had spent 15-20 million that WE DO HAVE (we might not have 30-40 for transfer) to spend on transfers, either in the summer or in january on 1 or 2 players, then we would be top of the league by a few points.

We spent nothing, but could have. Other teams cant say this as they did spend if they could afford it (united couldnt afford it due to the uncertainty of there debt situation in the summer)

That is the unacceptable thing this season. Hampering ourselves needlessly.

I could be wrong and maybe I am generalising here but I think that is the one thing realists and rose tinters cannot agree - imo the realists biggest gripe is that we are that close to having a top team and it would only have taken 2 or 3 quality signings to lift us over that hump while the majority (not all I might add) of the rose-tinters felt that we were good enough with what we already have

jamjc64

Post by jamjc64 »

Is it ok to sit on the fence :ladida:

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

augie's right
I don't agree with him

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

as i said in january, we only needed a keeper and a defensive midfielder. had we bought those two (which are inexpensive positions), song would be easily brought to centre back in emergencies like now, and the team would be perfect.

Charlie! Charlie!

Post by Charlie! Charlie! »

jamjc64 wrote:Is it ok to sit on the fence :ladida:
Im not going to sit on the fence but I think both. 8)

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

senna and lopez from villareal would have been perfect
we could have prob got them for £10 -12M

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

If we dont win the league this year and there is any blame it has to fall squarely on the shoulder of Wenger. I cant remember a championship being so there for the taking in recent years. With 2 or 3 decent (not break the bank) signings in the summer we could have been clear of the field and not relying on others results.....

Its a bit early yet as we can still win it but if we dont the thing that comes out of this season is Wenger fucked it up and we should be Champions

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

I actually think next years title will be ours, IF we get two good signings.

PI7ES

Post by PI7ES »

Senna is 33 mate, so adapting to a new fast paced league at his age is never going to be garanteed. Would rather buy parker.

mikeyb772001
Location: Block 6! Drunk and standing next to a mad man with no clothes on!

Post by mikeyb772001 »

Despite how bad Al has been this season, i still think a quality striker was needed that can get us ugly goals when needed. I say the word ugly as we always try to score the perfect goal and we dont have a drogba style striker in our squad that can be a fox in the box. Even with RVP in the team we still lack that match winning striker we badly need. If in January Wenger would of spent some cash we would 100% won the Leauge. So many matches we have had countless chances and matches like Birmingham we would of won. So yeh maybe 20-30 mil is expensive for Wenger , however those extra goals by a qulality finisher would of won us the leauge and improved confidence in the team. Almuina is average dont get me wrong, but we dont let that many goals in, but we do however miss so many goal scoring possibilities. Even if he didnt want to spend loads im sure somone like Carlton cole, Carew or even Saha would of helped big time.
I just hope he does buy for next season, becuase we do need to sell some of the rubbish and invest in the squad!

PI7ES

Post by PI7ES »

mikeyb772001 wrote:Despite how bad Al has been this season, i still think a quality striker was needed that can get us ugly goals when needed. I say the word ugly as we always try to score the perfect goal and we dont have a drogba style striker in our squad that can be a fox in the box. Even with RVP in the team we still lack that match winning striker we badly need. If in January Wenger would of spent some cash we would 100% won the Leauge. So many matches we have had countless chances and matches like Birmingham we would of won. So yeh maybe 20-30 mil is expensive for Wenger , however those extra goals by a qulality finisher would of won us the leauge and improved confidence in the team. Almuina is average dont get me wrong, but we dont let that many goals in, but we do however miss so many goal scoring possibilities. Even if he didnt want to spend loads im sure somone like Carlton cole, Carew or even Saha would of helped big time.
I just hope he does buy for next season, becuase we do need to sell some of the rubbish and invest in the squad!

Your wrong our goalscoring has been fine, we concede far to many goals. How many clean sheets we had this year? Its probably not many more than 5. Our probelm is the defense and goalkeeper.

augie

Post by augie »

slevinlacey wrote:Is it me or is Average Al slowly becoming more and more crazy. I noticed it since he has been playing with his shirt tucked out, the way he runs to get the ball, i think the guy is losing his marbles!

Somebody should have the *word censored* locked up as he is causing a serious risk to every Gooners health :evil: