Barcelona vs Arsenal thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Man Utd beat them in the semis in 2008 and Barcelona didn't get a sniff of scoring. It took them until stoppage time of the second leg to get one past Chavsea.

aw

Post by aw »

We only had half our first choice team and we just played against the world's best / in form team. If Rosicky had taken his chance and made it 3-2, we would still have been in with a chance. Barca would have beaten any team tonight. End of.

Now we need to concentrate on winning our remaining 5 games.

North bank girl

Post by North bank girl »

MickeyFabs wrote:
North bank girl wrote:If messi didn't start tonight do you think we could of got something out of the game?
It doesn't matter!! What ifs!!
I know but i think he was the difference tonight i couldn't see anyone scoring for them tonight

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

g88ner wrote:ManUre 2-1 Arsenal
Arsenal 0 - 3 Chelsea
Arsenal 1-3 ManUre
Chelsea 2-0 Arsenal
Arsenal 2-2 Barca
Barca 4-1 Arsenal

So, against the top, top clubs this season we've won 0, lost 5 and got one very lucky draw.

We've conceded 16 (yes, SIXTEEN) in those 6 games and scored 5.

Arsene, please FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TEACH THEM TO DEFEND!!!

Yes, we were missing many players tonight but our trend of losing heavily to the best clubs is unavoidable.

We don't give defending the respect it deserves, and it's depressing :(

Also, what is the point in playing pretty football against mediocre opposition if you can't string 2 passes together in the big games??? :?

Come on Arsene, learn from these heavy defeats and find that magic hat again!!! :barscarf: 8)
Well said we need some basic defending skills... The boring drills over and over and over Arsene!!!!!!!!

Kiki

Post by Kiki »

MickeyFabs wrote:
Kiki wrote:I'm very disapponted. I don't hink any player should be scoring a first half hattriuck and four against the likes of us no matter how good he is. Agian we lost our defensive discipline ala Man Utd and Chelsea games. It's criiminal that another ball over the top leads to a goal against us.

I dont absolve Vermaelen from any blame here eirther. Did he play like a 10m pound defender?
The thing is we had to play high up the pitch, we got the first goal doing that, and failing the poor decision by Diaby in not passing to Walcott we could have had the 2nd.

The 2nd and 3rd goals were down to playing so high up!

So to **** with trying to defend then? Unless I am completely picking you up wrong you seem to be justifying ben caught out yet again like like Chelsea and United games. Yes we had to go for the game and inevitibly it meant playing high howver being caught out yet again by a ball over the top? Sorry, one or two mistakes fair enough but we did the same against Everton too.

HashKads

Post by HashKads »

Out in the summer;

Silvestre
Eduardo
Almunia
Rosicky

We need fierce competition for the positions of;

Denilson (actually he should just fuck off as well)
Bendtner
Diaby
Nasri
Walcott

The above 5 are just about the level of the subs bench. Its a complete joke, they haven't even got to work hard to get into the team because the only competition is the under 18s squad.

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

g88ner wrote:Come on Arsene, learn from these heavy defeats and find that magic hat again!!! :barscarf: 8)
He's not gonna find it without a serious shake up from the top of the club down. I'm fed up of being the team who sees off the mediocre opposition (albeit after a lot of hard work this season; see Wolves (H), Hull (A), Bolton (H), West Ham (H), Sunderland (H) games etc) and then time after time rolls over when it gets down to it against the big teams.

The whole ethos of the club is rotten through. Rewarding mediocre players with lucrative contracts, only signing OAPs on free transfers etc & I wouldn't be at all opposed to an injection of fresh ideas into the management.

MickeyFabs

Post by MickeyFabs »

North bank girl wrote:
MickeyFabs wrote:
North bank girl wrote:If messi didn't start tonight do you think we could of got something out of the game?
It doesn't matter!! What ifs!!
I know but i think he was the difference tonight i couldn't see anyone scoring for them tonight
It would have been a different game. He played a blinder today, so i suppose it could have been different, but he didn't really play that well last week and Barca were still great!

cj88

Post by cj88 »

I can be highly critical or I just won't bother...

I'm going with the latter..

F**k em!!
Last edited by cj88 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MM99

Post by MM99 »

1989 wrote:
jacko-arsnl2 wrote:how will anyone stop messi
Chelsea and Man Utd managed it in the past. But they are top class teams and we aren't there's the difference.
Really? Did they manage it in 2009? I must have missed that, i thought it was Barca that won 2-0 and didn't even let Utd have a sniff of the ball. :roll:

Zimgooner

Post by Zimgooner »

Richard Keys is loving it isn't he........that hairy wolfman gimp looking *word censored*.

perry groves was a legend

Post by perry groves was a legend »

Fair play to the gooners who you can still here sing in the background.
:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

The results against the stronger teams this season and in fact last season too, indicate a systematic failure by Arsene Wenger and the coaching staff to find the right players, coach them in the best ways, mould them into a strong team/ squad and then give them the best tactical knowledge to win important matches. At the moment, we are a decent mid-level European team. No real threat to the established order and a little bit too strong for the likes of Porto, Olympiakos, Villareal etc.

We were supposed to be a massive world-power by now. We are nowhere near.

North bank girl

Post by North bank girl »

Arsene - We lost to a team that are better then us

leedsgooner

Post by leedsgooner »

Souness is being very nice about us lately. Starting to actually like the guy. Can hear the travelling Gooners now during the post match analysis. Well played to them and hope they get home safe.

Gutted about the result and for not realy turning up on the night