WIGAN AWAY

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
worthing_gooner

Post by worthing_gooner »

In which case why does he personally chose to make such silly remarks about being able to spend £30m on one player if required.

If the truth is that he can't then at best he's a puppet on a string to the board of directors and at worst he is a liar who is mismanaging supporters expectations.

If the money ain't there that's the board's problem to comment on. Wenger has gone public far too often about having money available. It's part of his DNA.....to try and be the first manager to win the league spending fuck all and by doing it with youth players.
That's a fair point. If he spends big money on 5-6 players this summer and we finish second next year, what then?

worthing gooner

Post by worthing gooner »

If we finish second we the dont have to qualify for the champions league! saving a voucher on my season ticket!!Happy days......

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

worthing_gooner wrote:
In which case why does he personally chose to make such silly remarks about being able to spend £30m on one player if required.

If the truth is that he can't then at best he's a puppet on a string to the board of directors and at worst he is a liar who is mismanaging supporters expectations.

If the money ain't there that's the board's problem to comment on. Wenger has gone public far too often about having money available. It's part of his DNA.....to try and be the first manager to win the league spending fuck all and by doing it with youth players.
That's a fair point. If he spends big money on 5-6 players this summer and we finish second next year, what then?
If it happens Worthing......I promise I will stop moaning (well maybe stopping is a bit of a commitment.....will reducing it do for now :wink: )

REB

Post by REB »

today was a kick in the teeth for this team. we have been getting away it for most of the season with our late goals and people have been getting themselves up for a title charge. simple fact is we were never good enough to win the league and results have shown this to be true, we have lost to many games for one thing and were just not good enough in the end , today when wigan got the winner all i could do was laugh because you could see it happening, i just hope for all our sakes that wenger has took all this on board and finally brings in the right players where we are so badly weak.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Its was almost too easy at times. Half way through the 2nd half i thought we were cruising and if they scored we might be in trouble. Our defending was dire throughout and once it went to 2-2 i thought Wenger must now see changes are needed but at 3-2 down he must be blind to miss it.

The ref was shocking today for and against us but how can Wenger be moaning at the end we had our fair let offs, easier to blame the refs than himself or most of the shocking players on show today

mikeyb772001
Location: Block 6! Drunk and standing next to a mad man with no clothes on!

Post by mikeyb772001 »

Wenger has no right to moan, he is a fuck up! end of. Wish i sold my ticket on here.
The only ones who suffer are us gooners, who spend our wages and credit cards in order to follow arsenal.

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... ier-league

Arsène Wenger turns fire on his players as Arsenal blow title chance

• Arsenal manager slams lapses in concentration at Wigan
• Gunners are left six points behind Chelsea

Arsène Wenger slammed his players after they lost at Wigan.

Arsène Wenger accused his Arsenal players of causing their own expulsion from the Premier League title race with a fatal lapse in concentration at Wigan . The Arsenal manager, who was furious, conceded it is now a straight fight between Chelsea and Manchester United for the championship but their gripping struggle will be an irrelevance to him. "I don't care who wins it," said Wenger.

Chelsea lead the champions by one point after another dramatic weekend altered the complexion of the title contest. For 80 minutes at the DW Stadium, Arsenal were on course to rejoin United on the heels of Carlo Ancelotti's team as goals from Theo Walcott and Mikaël Silvestre brought a comfortable lead at relegation-threatened Wigan. A remarkable fightback by Roberto Martínez's team, however, which produced goals in the 80th, 89th and 91st minutes, destroyed Arsenal's outside hopes of a first league title since 2004 and left their manager seething.

"At top-level competition you have to be focused for 90 minutes or you will lose games," said Wenger, who reacted to Wigan's equaliser by throwing his suit jacket into the dug-out. "I believe the goals we conceded were very poor. Unlucky, but poor. In football you have to keep focused for 90 minutes, especially against a team that has nothing to lose and is fighting to stay up like Wigan were today. We did not stay concentrated and we were punished for that in the end."

Lukasz Fabianski, a replacement for the injured Manuel Almunia, was guilty of yet another error in the Arsenal goal as he dropped Charles N'Zogbia's corner on to the head of Titus Bramble for Wigan's equaliser. Fabianski's mistake on his 25th birthday prompted the former Arsenal striker, Paul Merson, to say that the Gunners "will never win anything until they get a decent goalkeeper". Wenger refused to blame the Pole for the defeat.

"Everybody has an opinion. I will keep my opinion to myself," he said. "Football is a game of opinion, that is why it is so interesting. You cannot say we lost this game because of the goalkeeper. I will have to look at the goal again. I thought Wigan's first goal was very important. We were not in the right position for that goal and that was an important moment."

Martínez agreed with his opposite number. "To me, that was an acceptable mistake under a lot of pressure," said the Spaniard. "Their goalkeeper was under real pressure from Steve Gohouri and that can happen. I think Arsenal were feeling we were getting stronger at that point and sometimes that can force mistakes."

Arsenal's performance, after Silvestre had headed his first goal for the club three minutes after the start of the second half, smacked of complacency, despite the prospect of moving to within three points of Chelsea with three matches remaining. Wenger, however, said that failing was not shared on the sideline, where he kept Robin van Persie on the bench until Wigan had levelled the scores.

The Arsenal manager said: "I never thought the game was over because I saw we were having difficulties keeping the ball and creating chances. When you don't create chances in football you are always going to be in trouble. I was concerned because after the game went to 2-0 we lacked cohesion and discipline in our play and I always felt we could be punished for that."

Indeed, Wenger admitted that rather than seeking an unexpected return to the title race, Arsenal are now looking behind them, to late challenges for third place from Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City. Victory took Wigan seven points clear of the relegation zone and added Arsenal to a list of scalps at the DW Stadium that includes Chelsea and Liverpool. But Martinez refused to accept their survival in the Premier League is now guaranteed. The Wigan manager said: "This was our best result of the season but I don't think it keeps us up. We have still got to play West Ham and Hull so we are not safe, but this was an important moral victory for our players."

Wenger still refuses to blame Flappy.... :roll: :roll: :banghead:

nexum5me

Post by nexum5me »

doesn't matter if he doesn't blame him in public, just so long as he knows he's not good enough.

the positives are, we weren't gonna finish any higher than 3rd anyway, so if a few players who are shit expose their shitness like fabianski today, it's more likely wenger will get rid of them in the summer. it was clear fabianski was a disaster waiting to happen today, but if the defence had protected himwell and we'd have gone on to score 4, wenger could've brushed it under the rug again

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

first match i missed all season. pretty happy about it too.

Connolly55

Post by Connolly55 »

If we had of won today, it would have only paperd over the cracks. Wenger needs to either sort it out, or take it on the chin and step down.

Kiwi Gooner

Post by Kiwi Gooner »

UN-BE-FUCKING-LIEVABLE!!!!

I went to bed when we were 2-nil up 10 minutes into the second half (about 1.40am NZ time), confident we had the points in the bag.

Walked into work this morning and everyone's giving me commiserations!!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Sort this out, Arsene!
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Connolly55

Post by Connolly55 »

Kiwi Gooner wrote:UN-BE-FUCKING-LIEVABLE!!!!

I went to bed when we were 2-nil up 10 minutes into the second half (about 1.40am NZ time), confident we had the points in the bag.

Walked into work this morning and everyone's giving me commiserations!!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Sort this out, Arsene!
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
If this season has taught me anything, its never to stop watching Arsenal until the final whistle has gone.

no. 1 is Perry Groves....

Post by no. 1 is Perry Groves.... »

I have just returned home from today's debacle.......

i am still at a loss to understand how we managed to piss away a 2 goal lead against (with no disrespect to them) Wigan in 10 minutes!

I honestly think that blame for today has to rest with the manager - we seem to have assembled squad that lacks the technical or tactical ability, understanding or most importamently desire to win a football match.

I have been a supporter of wenger over the years and am grateful for everything he has done for the club but i am very sorry to say that the time has come for a change.

whilst i dont think anyone can doubt his ability to spot young talent he regularly fails to motivate his team and as far as i can see fails to employ any variation in tactics regardless of opposition or circumstances.

I am struggling to recall a worse performance that i have seen and this at a time when, in theory at least we still had a chance to win the premiership.

Wigan lost 9-1 to spurs and I believe wigan refunded the fans travel costs, whilst the result today is not the same in numerical terms our collapse in the last 10 mins is certainly equally as bad and i think at the very least we should be entitled to a refund.

In addition our ticket prices are reported to be the most expensive in the world and yet we continualy fail to invest in the squad and have afiled to do so for a number of years. It astounds me that Arsenal charge these prices when they fail to invest in the team. We should be looking at at least a 20% reduction in ticket prices next year

sorry if i am repeating anything previously mentioned here , I just wanted to get my thoughts down.

Kiwi Gooner

Post by Kiwi Gooner »

no. 1 is Perry Groves.... wrote:I have just returned home from today's debacle.......

i am still at a loss to understand how we managed to piss away a 2 goal lead against (with no disrespect to them) Wigan in 10 minutes!

I honestly think that blame for today has to rest with the manager - we seem to have assembled squad that lacks the technical or tactical ability, understanding or most importamently desire to win a football match.

I have been a supporter of wenger over the years and am grateful for everything he has done for the club but i am very sorry to say that the time has come for a change.

whilst i dont think anyone can doubt his ability to spot young talent he regularly fails to motivate his team and as far as i can see fails to employ any variation in tactics regardless of opposition or circumstances.

I am struggling to recall a worse performance that i have seen and this at a time when, in theory at least we still had a chance to win the premiership.

Wigan lost 9-1 to spurs and I believe wigan refunded the fans travel costs, whilst the result today is not the same in numerical terms our collapse in the last 10 mins is certainly equally as bad and i think at the very least we should be entitled to a refund.

In addition our ticket prices are reported to be the most expensive in the world and yet we continualy fail to invest in the squad and have afiled to do so for a number of years. It astounds me that Arsenal charge these prices when they fail to invest in the team. We should be looking at at least a 20% reduction in ticket prices next year

sorry if i am repeating anything previously mentioned here , I just wanted to get my thoughts down.
This is so sad but true.
Our team now is mentally weak.
That was never the way of old Arsenal teams.

I still believe in Arsene, but we've got to get busy in the off-season.
Our defense is an absolute shambles.

Sol has showed up our soft belly in the short time he's been back.
Where's the pride and fight back there?

antgel

Post by antgel »

Kiwi Gooner wrote: Our defense is an absolute shambles.
MIDFIELD! MIDFIELD! MIDFIELD! Yes the depth of the defence is poor with Silvestre, but the first choice midfield is not good enough apart from Song and Fabregas. I have said this for 2-3 years now, it's the most important part of the team, and we are NOT BOSSING games how you need to in order to dominate. Plus they offer piss-poor protection to the defence.