The Enigma Stadium

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Champagne Charlie

Post by Champagne Charlie »

So you (steve) say the Wembley experiment was a commercial and financial success. At what cost? The football part of the operation. The reason why we are all here.

Had we played our games at Higbury who knows how far we'd've gone in the competition. And made more on the way.

It did not take moving out "home" games to Wembley to identify we had a fan base large enough to sought a new stadium.

And i care not for any of the 2 potential owners of the club, due to my thinking that both were brought here by Dein.
Although my reasons for not wanting the fat ruskie are based on that PHW type " i don't want that criminal who sides with a drug baron anywhere near this club" rant.

How you can refer to Kroenke being dubious and not giving Usmanov at least the same status boggles the mind.

AA23Northbank

Post by AA23Northbank »

Dein wanted us to move to Wembley, which I agree was quite practical at the time as we could've had an operating lease and wouldn't be saddled with the debt that there was now. Also being a Brent resident myself I would've been very happy with that. But Brent residents opposed football being played at the stadium at the frequency it would've been played at had we been there, the opposition from fans around the country at having a club side at Wembley and the board were concerned at not having their own stadium and moving out of the club's home of Islington. On the takeover issue, I'm concerned about Usmanov's background, the fact that he is a Man U fan and he could treat the club as a plaything ala Abramovich and trample all over AW; I'm also not sure about whether Kroenke can afford to buy the club without adding another penny to the debt. So personally I don't want a takeover but prefer Kroenke: Even if he wants to buy the Rams (the NFL team), he has to sell his NHL and NBA teams which he owns as they are in a different city to the Rams, so he will have funds.

VforVictory

Post by VforVictory »

AA23Northbank wrote: I'm concerned about Usmanov's background, the fact that he is a Man U fan and he could treat the club as a plaything ala Abramovich and trample all over AW;
Is Kroenke an Arsenal fan though?

No way of knowing whether Usmanov would treat the club as a plaything.

No way of knowing if Kroenke would either.

At least both have been involved in the club for a little while now and the existing board members can attempt to get a feel for them. Obviously Usmanov not on the board but has had meetings with them.