If you had the power to sell one player this summer...

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

If you had one choice, who would you sell?

Manuel Almunia
33%
Abou Diaby
13%
Eduardo
5%
Carlos Vela
3%
Theo Walcott
3%
Denilson
10%
Mikael Silvestre
5%
Lukasz Fabianski
15%
Emmanuel Eboue
3%
Other (please specify)
10%

Total votes: 39

Bring Back Pires

If you had the power to sell one player this summer...

Post by Bring Back Pires »

Who would it be?

And yes, I'm afraid that you can only choose one. I know it'll be hard.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Yes decisions, decisions. Initially I thought Eduardo as some of the major European clubs allegedly have him in the £8m-£10m bracket - perhaps they've been watching 2-3 year old DVDs.

However, on the basis that I never, ever want to witness Fabianski in an Arsenal shirt again, he has to go....regardless of whether its for a penny or £1m. In fact I'll pay someone to take him off our hands

VforVictory

Post by VforVictory »

Diaby.

Cannot see where this guy's career is going. He is a liability.

Whilst I know Almunia is not at required standard, I would actually keep him as backup with Szesney but bring in a new top level keeper.

augie

Post by augie »

For me the winner by some distance is abou fcuking diaby :evil: I just fear that, from all the players listed, that diaby is the most likely to become a regular under wenger therefore he has the potential to do far more damage to our team than anybody else :roll:
Again I think that you cannot ignore the fact that diaby has over 100 appearances for the first team now and I would expect far more improvement in a player if he was going to make it at Arsenal - he is brainless, lazy and worst of all lacking in passion and commitment :evil:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:For me the winner by some distance is abou fcuking diaby :evil: I just fear that, from all the players listed, that diaby is the most likely to become a regular under wenger therefore he has the potential to do far more damage to our team than anybody else :roll:
Again I think that you cannot ignore the fact that diaby has over 100 appearances for the first team now and I would expect far more improvement in a player if he was going to make it at Arsenal - he is brainless, lazy and worst of all lacking in passion and commitment :evil:
I went for Denilson for exactly the same reasons, :roll: but the fact that there are so many of them you could make a case for offloading, is proof of how bad things are. And you could add a few to the list.

Bring Back Pires

Post by Bring Back Pires »

augie wrote:I just fear that diaby is the most likely to become a regular under wenger
After reading this part of your post I looked back at the list to see if I agreed.

It then dawned on me that Walcott still isn't classed as a 'regular' under AW, and I wonder if AW would trust him to become a first-teamer and play week in, week out.

He probably doesn't trust him, as he's got so much cover for that area (and even Eboue starts ahead of him sometimes).

Which got me thinking, that the time's come for Walcott to sink or swim. I want to see AW playing him IN THE FIRST TEAM for every PL/CL match possible next season. Just let him loose and see what happens, and then we can finally decided one way or another whether his future lies with us.

At the end of next season, he would've been with us for five years, and if he still isn't showing PL/CL calibre football, then tell him to fuck off and help our obscene wage bill.

VforVictory

Post by VforVictory »

Bring Back Pires wrote:
augie wrote:I just fear that diaby is the most likely to become a regular under wenger

Which got me thinking, that the time's come for Walcott to sink or swim. I want to see AW playing him IN THE FIRST TEAM for every PL/CL match possible next season. Just let him loose and see what happens, and then we can finally decided one way or another whether his future lies with us.
No doubt, and if he stays for for start of next season think he will be played regularly.

Still 21 though, and want to see him up front more where he can just run off the defender, rather than out wide where he too often gets to the byline and waits for someone to maybe run into the box!

His deliver from wide was poor earlier in season, but is improving.

REB

Post by REB »

i couldn't bring myself to vote for just one so will abstain :oops:

and for the record i would be quiet happy if none of the above ever played for the first team again.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Almunia

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

Why sell Almunia? We'd get fuck all for him and he'd make a decent enough back-up keeper provided we bring in a quality no 1.

Given the fact I could only choose one and the question was who would i sell not who has been the biggest disgrace to the shirt this year... i went for Eduardo. He doesn't fit into our system at all and being in the premier league isnt helping his return from injury at all, i reckon we could get a few bob for him if we flog him to a continental side.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

LDB wrote:Why sell Almunia? We'd get fuck all for him and he'd make a decent enough back-up keeper provided we bring in a quality no 1.

Given the fact I could only choose one and the question was who would i sell not who has been the biggest disgrace to the shirt this year... i went for Eduardo. He doesn't fit into our system at all and being in the premier league isnt helping his return from injury at all, i reckon we could get a few bob for him if we flog him to a continental side.
Would Almunia be happy being a number 2 after spending 2 or 3 years as the number 1? i doubt it, fuck him off and get a decent number 1 in with Fabianski or schezny as back up

LDB

Post by LDB »

flash gunner wrote:
LDB wrote:Why sell Almunia? We'd get fuck all for him and he'd make a decent enough back-up keeper provided we bring in a quality no 1.

Would Almunia be happy being a number 2 after spending 2 or 3 years as the number 1? i doubt it, fuck him off and get a decent number 1 in with Fabianski or schezny as back up
Good point, it is contingent on whether Almunia is willing to accept going back to being a no 2. However if we assume a perfect theoretical world then i would keep al as a number 2 in his twilight years while we nurture szcszszszscny. Maybe keep fabianski as number 3 if we loan out szszszszsz but otherwise i would have him as our number 3 and flog fabianski while he still has a small margin for improvement.

Post by 1989 »

Denilson.

LDB

Post by LDB »

Really assured catch Lukasz :duh:

projoe

Post by projoe »

i did vote denilson, but after that half id like to change my vote, if possible to flappy,vela,traore & denilson :banghead: