Were you there.. PART 3 Last game on the old North Bank 1992

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
merson_is_god

Were you there.. PART 3 Last game on the old North Bank 1992

Post by merson_is_god »

The thread I have done twice before returns with Were you there at the Last Game on the Old North Bank.

I missed out on seeing this game as my Dad thought I was too young but have since seen many photos and videos of the old North Bank and wished I could have stood on the old terrace.

Were you at the game? Were you in the North Bank?

What was it like on the day? Ian Wright got the Golden Boot with a hat trick-what was the atmosphere like when he put the third goal in?

What are your memories of the day?

ABO

Post by ABO »

Was a wicked day but also a sad day, Wrighty was just on a mission that day to win the golden boot...his last goal was pure class!! :barscarf:

Atmosphere was pretty good from what I can remember but a sad day as I knew that going to The Arsenal would never be the same after that day. I was one of many who took part in the sit-in protest after the game...and only moved when old bill started battering people with their batons :evil:

Fond memories thinking about the old North Bank!! 8)

merson_is_god

Post by merson_is_god »

Battering people with batons? :shock:

Anyone got any photos of the day?

worthing gooner

Post by worthing gooner »

I was there at that game aswell. Did the sit down protest and held aloft the red cards aswell. OB got a bit bored with things so they started to shift off as many as they could before it turned ugly. Also wasnt that John Lukic's last game v Southhampton...
Last edited by worthing gooner on Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

merson_is_god

Post by merson_is_god »

Don't you mean John Lukic? And no he moved in 1990 to Leeds.

worthing gooner

Post by worthing gooner »

I did mean Lukic and yes he did go in 90. He lobbed his gloves into the North Bank at the end of the game in tears..
Thats what it means to play for out club people.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Well done Merse, was wondering when the latest instalment would be posted!!!
By that time I'd already been on the Clock End for a good few years but as someone said before, the game ended up being more about Wrighty's goals than the North Bank going. I can't remember being sad about it but as always you never know what you've got until it's gone and in my teenage years (as was the subject of a post a while back) the North Bank gave me many happy times in the 70s and 80s :barscarf:

Reg Niseth

Post by Reg Niseth »

Having moved from NB to CE and then onto lower West I had to be on the NB for the last day. Tickey only. Got some pics published in Tom Watts book of the last day.

Stayed around until plod starting getting heavy. we weren't doing anything FFS.

It was a tradition to chuck bog rolls back in the day, so me and mate decided to take it a bit further and knocked the roll towel off the wall and chucked that down the terracing instead.

Someone then gathered it up and set light to it.

remember going fucking mental when wrighty took that long throw from spunky and scored.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Remember the Clock End chaps coming around to join in the protests against David Deins bond scheme :banghead: :banghead:

Highbury was never the same after it went all seater although the CE kept some of the old spirit going :barscarf:

Highbury all standing is the way I'll always remember it, Beer buckets on the Clock End in the rain!!!!!!

charliegeorgewhocanhitem

Post by charliegeorgewhocanhitem »

Was on the NB for the last day, I remember taking one of my old 70s silk scarves with "North Bank" on one side of it, only in my pocket I hasten to add :lol: was going to leave it there but in the end thought I'd rather keep it as a more fitting memory. Got a few pictures of me leaving the ground at the end. For me it was an ultimately sad occaision with a sense of inevitability about it even after Wrighty's heroics in the last ten minutes or so. We stood there at the end for as long as possible but unless we were prepared to stand there forever there was a feeling of "what's the fucking point :roll: " and when ob started to kick off I guess it was time to go. I'll never know why they bothered, much more sensible to leave anyone who wanted to stay there for as long as they wanted to but the ob always have to have their little say in matters :roll: and decided to steam in with batons flailing :roll: After we left we walked up to the Blackstock Arms and got arseholed as was the tradition back in that era :D 8)

mikeyb772001
Location: Block 6! Drunk and standing next to a mad man with no clothes on!

Post by mikeyb772001 »

What a great post mers!

Best arsenal memory of my whole life!!!
I was about 14 and and me and my mate stood right in the middle of the north bank as we always did. Was handy as there was a barrier right in front of us with a slight drop in front, so we could see (only a little)
Atmosphere was really down and tense at first, and at half time the north bank was unusually quiet and subdue. One of the north bank regulars stood on the barrier where I was standing and shouted at everyone to make some noise, and get behind the team for the last time in the north bank. It was like a manager’s pep talk the whole place went fucking mad. That day we sucked in the ball for wrighty to get that golden boot, it was nuts.
After the match we all sat down and some guys made a fire, I took off my socks and threw em on, then the police steamed in and started hitting people! Wankers!
Quite sad really, never the same after that to be honest and it never will be. Shame some of the younger lot didn’t see what it was like to stand in that north bank.
Though saying that wish i was older at the time so i could of been on the beers!
:barscarf:

mikeyb772001
Location: Block 6! Drunk and standing next to a mad man with no clothes on!

Post by mikeyb772001 »

What a great post mers!

Best arsenal memory of my whole life!!!
I was about 14 and and me and my mate stood right in the middle of the north bank as we always did. Was handy as there was a barrier right in front of us with a slight drop in front, so we could see (only a little)
Atmosphere was really down and tense at first, and at half time the north bank was unusually quiet and subdue. One of the north bank regulars stood on the barrier where I was standing and shouted at everyone to make some noise, and get behind the team for the last time in the north bank. It was like a manager’s pep talk the whole place went fucking mad. That day we sucked in the ball for wrighty to get that golden boot, it was nuts.
After the match we all sat down and some guys made a fire, I took off my socks and threw em on, then the police steamed in and started hitting people! Wankers!
Quite sad really, never the same after that to be honest and it never will be. Shame some of the younger lot didn’t see what it was like to stand in that north bank.
Though saying that wish i was older at the time so i could of been on the beers!
:barscarf:

BIG RADDY

Post by BIG RADDY »

I was there too. I was stood right at the back in he North Bank.
Tom Watt was there filming the geezer stood next to me.
I have a T-Shirt from the club shop still in it's bag commemorating "I Was There "

How much is that worth???????????

But I aint selling it :lol:

merson_is_god

Post by merson_is_god »

If anyone has any pictures it would be great to see them on here!

What was done pre match to celebrate the north bank? There were unique tickets and surprisingly nothing in the matchday programme!

Herd

sorry

Post by Herd »

I was more upset when the old clock went to be honest