Judge him in May (sort of)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
djhdjh

Judge him in May (sort of)

Post by djhdjh »

I tend to be more towards the anti-Wenger end of the spectrum on here, wouldn't have minded him going the last two summers, even though it probably necessary. And I found the title quote particularly galling given how it kept being the case year after year. But I think that we should stick to it now.

By judging I mean calling for Wenger to go. By all means point out the issues with our squad, with our tactics etc. But not for Wenger to go. Despite our many weaknesses we are right in the hunt for the title - realists love to consider themselves pragmatists yet ignore when we win games playing badly in defence to focus on the performances. We are also likely to make the Champions League last 16 and have a real shot at winning at least one domestic cup. In short there is much to play for. If we change manager now our challenge would almost certainly collapse (maybe not in the CC :lol:). Not because no one but Wenger can do the job but because it would be a massive upheaval after such a long reign which would disturb the players, many of whom are very loyal to him and his methods. I understand that many still feel we will miss out on the title with Wenger in charge, so do I (I think we will come 2nd and will come quite close), but no one can deny we are in the hunt and there is a chance of winning the league. Always the best time except in emergencies to change manager is the summer.

If we fail to progress, address our failings and don't win something this season then at the point this is clearly the case by all means call for Wenger to go. But right now our best chance for this season lies with him and despite some apparent weaknesses we are top of the league (who on earth sacks a manager when top, whenever in the season?) and in some respects gaining maturity in terms of some individuals and winning tough away games. Realists like to see themselves as pragmatists. For this season, Wenger is our pragmatic option, let's see what it brings