Arshavin - Cutting The Mustard?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Arsenal 1991 wrote:
skipper wrote:Mighty AA23 has once again shown that quite few of you don't know much about football, sorry :barscarf:

Messi tracking back? :shock: :oops: :lol:
I hope you're joking. I assume you know the difference between tracking back and pressing.
I don't think he does, mate! :lol:

Arsenal 1991

Post by Arsenal 1991 »

defleppardisking wrote:I think he has lost interest in playing for us and that's why he seem so lazy and inconsistent. Three reasons for loss of interest: A deluded manager, mediocre players and a team who is incapable of winning titles.

Perhaps when Wenger remember to take his antipsychotic pills, we will get to see a different Arshavin
Cesc? :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunnersaurus wrote:He's a luxury, problem is we have too many players that don't graft enough to afford too many luxury players.
Summed up in one. 8)

If we had a team of more aggressive, powerful and more intelligent players that worked the ball both in and out of posession then AA23 could be a bit like the cream on the cake. He could take the ball and split defences with his undoubted vision and passing ability. But we don't so he doesn't exel at present. He looks lazy and unmotivated in many games. But I would say at least part of that is frustration.

Yes, he is a bit lazy but that is not to say he isn't quality. He is. But he is not a workhorse type player. He is a visionary type player.

I think the standard of player around him is not high enough to fully utilise his abilities and this is where the frustration comes into play. In a way it reminds me of when Bergkamp first joined. He didn't look all that great in some games because the players around him had no idea what he was trying to do - they weren't up to his level (with the exception of Wrighty). A year or two later, we've signed Overmars, Vieira, Petit etc and the difference in Bergkamp was incredible. Suddenly we had players that could see the defence-splitting pass DB was about to play and could move into it. It all gelled and viola - a Double!

Sometimes the true visionaries in the game need players of a similar mindset alongside them to bring out the best in them.

I'm not defending AA23 blindly here btw. Just that for us to get the best from him I believe he needs better players (in a better system??) around him. Too often he is trying to play football with shit like Denilson, Diaby etc. If we cannot adapt the system to his strengths or improve the level of player around him then I would say he is not going to be much use to us in the long term.

I think the question is do we rebuild the team around his ability (especially now as Cesc is going) or do we stick with the current system and let him go?

Arsenal 1991

Post by Arsenal 1991 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Gunnersaurus wrote:He's a luxury, problem is we have too many players that don't graft enough to afford too many luxury players.
Summed up in one. 8)

If we had a team of more aggressive, powerful and more intelligent players that worked the ball both in and out of posession then AA23 could be a bit like the cream on the cake. He could take the ball and split defences with his undoubted vision and passing ability. But we don't so he doesn't exel at present. He looks lazy and unmotivated in many games. But I would say at least part of that is frustration.

Yes, he is a bit lazy but that is not to say he isn't quality. He is. But he is not a workhorse type player. He is a visionary type player.

I think the standard of player around him is not high enough to fully utilise his abilities and this is where the frustration comes into play. In a way it reminds me of when Bergkamp first joined. He didn't look all that great in some games because the players around him had no idea what he was trying to do - they weren't up to his level (with the exception of Wrighty). A year or two later, we've signed Overmars, Vieira, Petit etc and the difference in Bergkamp was incredible. Suddenly we had players that could see the defence-splitting pass DB was about to play and could move into it. It all gelled and viola - a Double!

Sometimes the true visionaries in the game need players of a similar mindset alongside them to bring out the best in them.

I'm not defending AA23 blindly here btw. Just that for us to get the best from him I believe he needs better players (in a better system??) around him. Too often he is trying to play football with shit like Denilson, Diaby etc. If we cannot adapt the system to his strengths or improve the level of player around him then I would say he is not going to be much use to us in the long term.

I think the question is do we rebuild the team around his ability (especially now as Cesc is going) or do we stick with the current system and let him go?
Hes 30 now I think! The problem with this theory is, he was excellent in his first season and this team is better than that.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Arsenal 1991 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Summed up in one. 8)

Hes 30 now I think! The problem with this theory is, he was excellent in his first season and this team is better than that.
He had bad moments in that first season too, but I take your point. I would put his first season down to excitement at finally being at a truly big club in the biggest league in the world etc - his motivation would have been huge, anyone's would be. But then the rot set in as he trained day in day out and looked around at the players he was trying to play with. Also, we don't know what Wenger MIGHT have promised him. AA23 might have thought (or been led to think), Arsenal being a big club, that we would bring in some big names too, and then it didn't happen. Couple this with a naturally laid back/lazy outlook and you get AA23 2010 model - lazy-looking, demotivated, frustrated.

I'm not saying that bringing in better players or changing the system to suit him more will make him the new Messi, but it could/should improve him to the level where he is dictating the game.

Of course all this is just speculation. :wink:

defleppardisking

Post by defleppardisking »

Arsenal 1991 wrote:
defleppardisking wrote:I think he has lost interest in playing for us and that's why he seem so lazy and inconsistent. Three reasons for loss of interest: A deluded manager, mediocre players and a team who is incapable of winning titles.

Perhaps when Wenger remember to take his antipsychotic pills, we will get to see a different Arshavin
Ya Cesc too. Sooner or later, it will be Vermaelen followed by Wilshere..........

Arsenal 1991

Post by Arsenal 1991 »

defleppardisking wrote:
Arsenal 1991 wrote:

Ya Cesc too. Sooner or later, it will be Vermaelen followed by Wilshere..........
Cesc has had to put up with a lot worse. We have our problems but we are still a good side and if arsene wasn't so stubborn we would be a great side.

Captain Fabregas

Post by Captain Fabregas »

Once again came on and tried to backheel every ball that came his way...*word censored*

worthing_gooner

Post by worthing_gooner »

He was shit tonight. Came on and did nothing except try stupid flicks which fail time after time. :banghead:

Irish Gooner

Post by Irish Gooner »

It's Turnips fault, only a senile idiot like him would bring off Walcott when he was doing so well and then the joker Arshavin coming on ruining any chance we had.

The look of amazement and disgust on Theo's face said it all, Wenger has lost the plot.

Post by 1989 »

I feel sorry for Walcott, put in a 100% and was our most dangerous player. Well done again Turnip.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Walcott look on in disgust as City's best player comes on in his place while Chamack has to sit and watch the prolific Bendtner come on ahead of him. Truely appalling substitutions.

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

if the money was right, i would get rid in January and use the money to get a decent CB to play alongside Djourou

DanielD

Post by DanielD »

Arshavin contribution today - in possesion 4 times, lost the ball 3 times. Great job.

Post by 1989 »

DanielD wrote:Arshavin contribution today - in possesion 4 times, lost the ball 3 times. Great job.
He's a wanker.