Arshavin - Cutting The Mustard?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Rob Admin
Site Admin

Arshavin - Cutting The Mustard?

Post by Rob Admin »

Due to family commitments I was unable to see the Chelsea game last night. IN years gone by I would have moved heaven and earth to be there or see it with family taking a back seat. I firmly believe had I made the effort we'd have not one - I am the centre of the universe you know!

Having only seen the goals today I wondered what was different - in a moment of clarity I had a very srong feeling that Arshavin had not played yesterday which I just read was the case.

Does anyone else think this is significant, for me he has just not done very much since scoring 4 at Anfield. He reminds me of Berbatov, when he's on form he's World class but that sadly is one game in 10. The rest of the time he just looks like he can't be arsed and doesn't care.

£18m - you can see why Wenger is reluctant to spend on the big names!

Rob.

skipper

Post by skipper »

I posted this on Arshavin thread earlier, it's very interesting read, I think...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog ... f-comments

Arsenal's players have been grumbling among themselves about what they perceive to be the preferential treatment afforded by the manager, Arsène Wenger, to Andrey Arshavin. The Russia forward tends to enjoy a roaming brief yet without the responsibility to track back, even in training. Wenger reasons that Arshavin is worth it because he has the capacity to change a game with one flash of genius. But even Wenger reached the end of his tether at Arshavin's non-performance at Manchester United two weeks ago.

mrgnu1958

Post by mrgnu1958 »

Well Rob"y...i like how Arshavin has made a lot of our goals this season even though hes most definately NOT at his best.
Yesterday?...We NEVER missed him.
Perhaps this could be the kick up his Bum that he needs.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Replace him in summer, possibly with Marin.
He is not fit enough for the Premiership and his reputation has diminished since we bought him, had a good first half season.
Botelho is doing well on loan wide left too.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

To hear some say he does nothing.He has more assists than any other Arsenal player and is the 3rd highest in the assists in the premiership this season.Dont assists count?

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

steven piennar is available in January - wouldn't cost much and a good player with the ability to defend - reminds me a bit like Ray Parlour - does a good job without the plaudits

Big_G

Post by Big_G »

donaldo wrote:To hear some say he does nothing.He has more assists than any other Arsenal player and is the 3rd highest in the assists in the premiership this season.Dont assists count?
no, only goals and he has only scored 6 goals this season, the 4th highest top scorer in the team, jointly with Cesc, not good enough 8)

his main problem for me is the lack of tracking back and how he just gives up when he loses possession of the ball, stopping to work out in his mind how someone was able to take the ball from his russian feet. :banghead: :roll:

MegaGooner

Post by MegaGooner »

I was a big fan of AA before we signed him. I watched quite a few games when he played for Zenit St. Petersburg in the EUFA cup and Russia leading up to Euro 2008, but as the OP says, he hasn't really done anything since the 4 at Anfield. He still has the ability to turn a game with his individual brilliance, but most times he just doesn't look like he gives a shit. I still think AW is playing him out of position, as he is best centrally "in the hole" so to say, but with CF4 there he won't be getting much oppertunities there, especially if he doesn't bother to track back like Cesc does.

As Quartz said, Marin would be a good replacement - if we want to look at a like-for-like replacement.

Personally, I would now sell him and look at buying Scott Parker from the Hammers (good at DM or AM) or Mickel Arteta.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

I think I know where our little Russian superstar is going wrong: he should try spreading rather than cutting the mustard. That will probably work better for him. :oops: :lol: :lol: :wink:

mrgnu1958

Post by mrgnu1958 »

Wholegrain?

Arsenal 1991

Post by Arsenal 1991 »

Already a thread. :roll: :wink:

Number 5

Post by Number 5 »

I like Arshavin as a player.

I don't think he does enough for us though on both sides of the ball.

Easily the most intelligent player I've seen since Bergkamp retired and who is not Fabreags.

Would excel in a full flowing truely confident Arsenal side. Very much a shame he doesn't because he's truely capable.

benlaimwolf

Post by benlaimwolf »

I think we're playing him out of position, and always have. Unfortunately for him, Cesc plays that central role.

Number 5

Post by Number 5 »

benlaimwolf wrote:I think we're playing him out of position, and always have. Unfortunately for him, Cesc plays that central role.
Not really unfortunate, Cesc plays it better and more consistently. :?

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

We did well yesterday because we pressed, worked hard, tracked back etc.

How much of this does Arshavin do?
Not much.

Yes he has some assists, a few goals, but so might a less technically talented but harder working player, who would also track back.

I agree with those who say his best position is likely behind the striker, but it does not look as if he will play there much, so probably best for his career and our team if we replace him in the summer.