Motivation or Lack of.......

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
stefanek

Motivation or Lack of.......

Post by stefanek »

I have calmed down a little since lastnight but now I have to ask the question

Where was the motivation from the Manager and players lastnight??? - We are in the Semi Final of a Cup tournament against a team missing seven players - basically a makeshift team struggling in the league below - We actually put out a stronger team than against Leeds on the back of another poor performance from Arsenal. I have to say that I expected a tough fight and battle from Ipswich - It was a huge game for them but was it not for us as well????

I know there is a 2nd Leg and I would hope that we should be able to beat Ipswich at the Emirates but we have put our place in the Final in serious doubt now.

Reading AW's excuses - Its the same old - "Fatigue and lacking spark of creativity" - These are wearing thin and if he cant motivate the players for such occasions, then I can see our Trophyless run continuing sadly.

I would like to say that lastnight was a one off or an off day but there have been too many of those this season (Leeds, Ipswich, Newcastle, West Brom)

I also hope that AW will see from lastnight that we need a CB - Ipswich were playing a very simple long ball game with 1 player upfront and yet on several occasions it caused us a problem and could have been worse than it was - Please go out there and sign a quality CB with PL experience (Not Sol) that can shore up our achilles heel

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Fatigue? :shock: :? :oops: :oops: Haven't Ipswich been playing games as well, and didn't we have a 24 hour rest advantage? :roll: :roll: So much for Wenger's pre-match claim that the team wanted to put the tie to rest before the second leg!! :oops:

I wrote on the match thread at half time that if Wenger doesn't give the team a proper blasting and we don't come out with a much improved 2nd half performance, then I would have no option but to conclude that Wenger can no longer motivate these players - shit as some of them may well be. Well, we got our answer, didn't we? :oops: :roll:

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

Simple fact, the players are too comfortable and wenger cant motivate them.

He's beginning to remind me of a deluded parent going "little timmy is such a nice boy" while little timmy is out mugging old ladies. He's deluded and these players are making a mug out of him - they dont give a shit yet somehow Wenger is convinced that they do.

I have to offer my apologies to 1989 who i took issue with a few weeks back when he said the players lacked passion. I thought it was a simple case of them not being as good as we'd like, but i was wrong, its so much more then that.

We need a manager change to shake up the club like George Graham did after we had been drifting under neil/howe. Clear out the dross and let the rest know that they're playing for their futures at the club. Get the fuckers to wear club blazers and march them over to the fans at the end of every game as a matter of principle.

jonny3110

Post by jonny3110 »

Uhhhh, how on earth was yesterday Wengers fault at all?? Cause he didn't leather one of the players at half time. Bollox. That line up should have been 3 up by half time without getting into 3rd gear. can't blame Arsene on this occasion. Not like he put out Randall, Landsbury and JET (which should in all fairness have also beat em). Just looked like we thought we had it in the bag, which to be fair with the void in talent we should have! Just a very VERY off night!!

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

jonny3110 wrote:Uhhhh, how on earth was yesterday Wengers fault at all?? Cause he didn't leather one of the players at half time. Bollox. That line up should have been 3 up by half time without getting into 3rd gear. can't blame Arsene on this occasion. Not like he put out Randall, Landsbury and JET (which should in all fairness have also beat em). Just looked like we thought we had it in the bag, which to be fair with the void in talent we should have! Just a very VERY off night!!
And there in lies the problem, too many players and the manager that continually picks them show the exact same complacent attitude and it ends up kicking them - and us - in the arse!!! :banghead:

Post by 1989 »

Did you see Turnip smile at the final whistle?

Says it all.

NBN

Post by NBN »

LDB wrote:Simple fact, the players are too comfortable and wenger cant motivate them.

He's beginning to remind me of a deluded parent going "little timmy is such a nice boy" while little timmy is out mugging old ladies. He's deluded and these players are making a mug out of him - they dont give a shit yet somehow Wenger is convinced that they do.

I have to offer my apologies to 1989 who i took issue with a few weeks back when he said the players lacked passion. I thought it was a simple case of them not being as good as we'd like, but i was wrong, its so much more then that.

We need a manager change to shake up the club like George Graham did after we had been drifting under neil/howe. Clear out the dross and let the rest know that they're playing for their futures at the club. Get the fuckers to wear club blazers and march them over to the fans at the end of every game as a matter of principle.
Nail on the head

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

NBN wrote:
LDB wrote:Simple fact, the players are too comfortable and wenger cant motivate them.
Nail on the head
And yet another thing that’s been apparent for a good few years now. How many times after Manure lose have you heard their next game described as being “a bad time to face themâ€

USMartin

Post by USMartin »

The question is what is the Club's motivation right now?

I agree whole heartedly that the a lack of motivation is a huge part of the problem. The problem is what is its ource. The easy answer is to point at the manager. But is it the real answer, and that is critical here.

This is no different than a doctor diagnosing a patient - reach the right diagnosis and put the right course of treatment in effect and the patient will heal or recover. Make the wrong diagnosis and select the wrong course of treament and the patinet will not recover and may become even less healthy.

It strikes me as prior to 2005 that the Club's ambitions were higher and the Club's board acted accordingly to pursue those ambitions. It strikes me that since 2005 the Board's proiorities have changed and so have their ambitions although they have shown no desire to share this with the supporters who trust them to act in the Club's best interests at all times.

If they are not motivated to show those same ambitions then is it not natural for the lack of motivation to inevitably filter down from them to the football manager and then from the football manager to his coaching staff and then down to the oplaying staff?

Right now basically there are three kinds of players in our squad

Underpaid undermotivated proven players
Overpaid undermotivated proven players
and
Overpaid undermotivated underperfoming unproven players

And I think last night was simply a coming home to rosst of all these policies as we were expecting regulars and semi-regulars in the firstb 11 to go all-out in a competition that even we as supporters have utteerly devalued in recent years, and certainly the club and its manager had devalued as well in that time.

And again why devalue it - because we no longer were willing to invest in a squad big and talentedenough to seriously pursue it and the other bigger prizes we seek each year? And why is that? And if it down to the manager, where has the Board which are solely responsible for his continued employment, been to to motivate him? Yes the have extended his contract and improved his wage packet but apparently they have not tied this to improving our performance on the pitch or to filling space in our trophy cabinet, and that is all we really are missing right now.

So who motivates the man who motivates the players at this point, and what motivates them? I think that answer is more important than some want to believe.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Would you get a fucking life

Arsenal 1991

Post by Arsenal 1991 »

USMartin wrote:The question is what is the Club's motivation right now?

I agree whole heartedly that the a lack of motivation is a huge part of the problem. The problem is what is its ource. The easy answer is to point at the manager. But is it the real answer, and that is critical here.

This is no different than a doctor diagnosing a patient - reach the right diagnosis and put the right course of treatment in effect and the patient will heal or recover. Make the wrong diagnosis and select the wrong course of treament and the patinet will not recover and may become even less healthy.

It strikes me as prior to 2005 that the Club's ambitions were higher and the Club's board acted accordingly to pursue those ambitions. It strikes me that since 2005 the Board's proiorities have changed and so have their ambitions although they have shown no desire to share this with the supporters who trust them to act in the Club's best interests at all times.

If they are not motivated to show those same ambitions then is it not natural for the lack of motivation to inevitably filter down from them to the football manager and then from the football manager to his coaching staff and then down to the oplaying staff?

Right now basically there are three kinds of players in our squad

Underpaid undermotivated proven players
Overpaid undermotivated proven players
and
Overpaid undermotivated underperfoming unproven players

And I think last night was simply a coming home to rosst of all these policies as we were expecting regulars and semi-regulars in the firstb 11 to go all-out in a competition that even we as supporters have utteerly devalued in recent years, and certainly the club and its manager had devalued as well in that time.

And again why devalue it - because we no longer were willing to invest in a squad big and talentedenough to seriously pursue it and the other bigger prizes we seek each year? And why is that? And if it down to the manager, where has the Board which are solely responsible for his continued employment, been to to motivate him? Yes the have extended his contract and improved his wage packet but apparently they have not tied this to improving our performance on the pitch or to filling space in our trophy cabinet, and that is all we really are missing right now.

So who motivates the man who motivates the players at this point, and what motivates them? I think that answer is more important than some want to believe.
FUCK OFF YOU *word censored*, NOBODY CARES! :banghead:

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

:coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: 'who motivates the manager'. :lol: :o :lol: :lol:

That is fucking classic Martin. A manager is supposed to manage people, why does Wenger need motivating, he is given everything he wants at Arsenal and dictates policy at the club. Absolutely hilarious comment.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

USM stop hijacking threads you mongoloid specky *word censored* :banghead: :banghead:

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

TeeCee wrote::coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: 'who motivates the manager'. :lol: :o :lol: :lol:

That is fucking classic Martin. A manager is supposed to manage people, why does Wenger need motivating, he is given everything he wants at Arsenal and dictates policy at the club. Absolutely hilarious comment.
But who motivates the man who motivates the manager? And who motivates the man who motivates the man who motivates the manager?

USMartin

Post by USMartin »

TeeCee wrote::coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: 'who motivates the manager'. :lol: :o :lol: :lol:

So the manager is not an employee of the club? He runs the club and the Board. He hires and fires them? Then how can he b esacked? And how can the club exist without him if he runs it on his own without any sort of governance?