Carling Cup Final

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
1962er

Carling Cup Final

Post by 1962er »

Well, memories of 1969 and Ian Ure and Bob Wilson came flooding back yesterday. But let's face it, Birmingham deserved it, they certainly wanted it more than the Arsenal players.
What on earth was Wenger thinking when picking Rosicky, he is finished and should be offloaded ASAP. However, I read on Friday that he is being offered a new contract!

Despite the horrendous mix-up between Szczesny and Koscielny and the goalkeeping error for the first goal, I wish once again to point out the major failings of Djourou when it comes to him facing a "big" man. He once again had a very poor game, his positional sense is diabolical, and he goes missing on too many occasions. His distribution also goes to pot when under pressure like this, and despite playing better when we are on top of teams, he is no better than a fourth choice center half. We need a new stopper center half next season, or we will win nothing again. I have already accepted this this team will implode once again now as their "mental strength" is non-existent.

Also, what has happened to Alex Song this season, great last season, but he is rapidly going backwards as this season goes on. His distribution is quite appalling on many occasions, and when he joins the attack he is an accident waiting to happen. He is not top class, and this is a position where it is needed if we are to progress.

I know that Arsenal fans will not agree with my comments about Djourou and Song, but please just watch them when we play the better opposition, and you will see that they are both found wanting. We will nothing until these two positions are taken by top class players, but this will not happen under Mr Wenger.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Couldn't agree more.

Song is good, but not great, and has major weaknesses.

Djourou gets turned too easily and his ball watching yesterday made it easy for the first goal.

And I think the fact that Wenger has to keep repeating the mental strength and character so often these days, shows that he really feels he needs to reinforce things that are too often lacking. When these things are self-evident, you don't need to keep on trying to convince everyone that they exist.

UCGooner4life

Post by UCGooner4life »

You are absolutely correct on the whole. If you see my thread from November (Its called Current Arsenal team lack "winners") I pointed out Song's clear flaws. His distribution is woeful at times. I think your comments on Djourou may have been a bit harsh though. I think he is the best of our fit centre backs (what has happened to Vermaelen by the way?). To support my arguement look at his performances against Chelsea and Man City both of which have large, powerful forwards. With another decent centre back Djourou would be fine. Koscielny is the real problem. That Barcelona game aside, he is awful! AW is obviously one of the most competent managers in the game, anyone calling for his head is crazy, but it is getting frustrating that he has this blind spot with regard to a centre back and keeper!

UCGooner4life

Post by UCGooner4life »

You are correct on the whole. If you see my thread from November (Its called Current Arsenal team lack "winners") I pointed out Song's clear flaws. His distribution is woeful at times. I think your comments on Djourou may have been a bit harsh though. I think he is the best of our fit centre backs (what has happened to Vermaelen by the way?). To support my arguement look at his performances against Chelsea and Man City both of which have large, powerful forwards. With another decent centre back Djourou would be fine. Koscielny is the real problem. That Barcelona game aside, he is awful! AW is obviously one of the most competent managers in the game, anyone calling for his head is crazy, but it is getting frustrating that he has this blind spot with regard to a centre back and keeper!

UCGooner4life

Post by UCGooner4life »

You are correct on the whole. If you see my thread from November (Its called Current Arsenal team lack "winners") I pointed out Song's clear flaws. His distribution is woeful at times. I think your comments on Djourou may have been a bit harsh though. I think he is the best of our fit centre backs (what has happened to Vermaelen by the way?). To support my arguement look at his performances against Chelsea and Man City both of which have large, powerful forwards. With another decent centre back Djourou would be fine. Koscielny is the real problem. That Barcelona game aside, he is awful! AW is obviously one of the most competent managers in the game, anyone calling for his head is crazy, but it is getting frustrating that he has this blind spot with regard to a centre back and keeper!

UCGooner4life

Post by UCGooner4life »

UCGooner4life

Post by UCGooner4life »

Exiled-Gooner

Post by Exiled-Gooner »

I think Sunday again showed Wenger's tactical lacking when playing Nasri on the wing and Rosicknote in the middle,it also shows that Wenger has accumulated a group of players ,barring a few,who can step up and be counted when it matters.When there C/B was struggling with injury and so was RVP instead of subbing RVP with Bendtner or Chamankh he allowed the C/B a easy ride by keeping RVP on but again waited to the 70th min for sub instead of tactical sub.

We need 2 C/B's and i hope one could Mertesacker who would do well with TV,we need a world class D/M not Song who would suit the likes of Birmingham and we need a REAL striker not a average scoring freebie from the french league.