Sad news re Charlie! Charlie!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
HashKads

Post by HashKads »

RIP, terrible terrible news. Hope Steve's family and friends are coping. Be rest assured he'll be in no pain in the North Bank above with fellow greats. Sad, sad day.

As others have said, maybe we should donate money or organise flowers from The OG community. I don't mind sorting it.

AFC1886

Post by AFC1886 »

Such sad news, no more pain now though.

RIP

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

This is really sad news. I didn't know Steve, but he was obviously well loved and a Great Arsenal fan. May I suggest that we somehow get some money together,between a few of us would be enough),to get the guy a quality "brick" at Armoury Square.Family and friends to decide on the wording.Anyone up for it?
Last edited by Rugby Gooner on Fri May 20, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

Rugby Gooner wrote:This is really sad news. I didn't know Steve, but he was obviously well loved and a Great Arsenal fan. May I suggest that we somehow get some money together,(£2.50-£5.00,between a few of us would be enough),to get the guy a quality "brick" at Armoury Square.Family and friends to decide on the wording.Anyone up for it?
I'd be in via paypal.

Thoughts prayers and love to those affected. A truly sad loss of a great Gooner. No doubt he's with Rocky and the others now.

onemoreminute

Post by onemoreminute »

Just got back from the hospital, spent the afternoon with his family and 4 other of our closest mates.
What can i say, he was more like a brother to me than a mate.
I took my arsenal scarf and presented it to his Dad whilst we were waiting outside the ward, he said that was so kind and asked if he could go and put it on him, of which he did.
After spending about 30 minutes around the bed everyone left except me, i stood over him, kissed his forehead and we both held the scarf together.
We were then informed that after the last cell test there was nothing more that could be done, his internal organs were failing and even if he pulled through he would onky last 6-12 months of which in a wheelchair with 24 hour care,which none of us friends or family wanted.
The five of us close friends were then asked to go and say our last goodbyes, as he was confirmed dead at 16.00.
We all stood there totally silent for about 5 mins until we all started crying one by one.
I will write more later as the night goes on, but i the image of my lifelong soulmate laying there will live with me forever.
RIP Big Man

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

onemoreminute wrote:Just got back from the hospital, spent the afternoon with his family and 4 other of our closest mates.
I took my arsenal scarf and presented it to his Dad whilst we were waiting outside the ward, he said that was so kind and asked if he could go and put it on him, of which he did.
After spending about 30 minutes around the bed everyone left except me, i stood over him, kissed his forehead and we both held the scarf together.
We were then informed that after the last cell test there was nothing more that could be done, his internal organs were failing and even if he pulled through he would onky last 6-12 months of which in a wheelchair with 24 hour care,which none of us friends or family wanted.
The five of us close friends were then asked to go and say our last goodbyes, as he was confirmed dead at 16.00.
We all stood there totally silent for about 5 mins until we all started crying one by one.
I will write more later as the night goes on, but i the image of my lifelong soulmate laying there will live with me forever.
RIP Big Man
It is people like you,and Steve and his family and loved ones that make us the best family,friends,and fans in the world-BAR NONE!!! We are The Arsenal!!!

mrgnu1958

Post by mrgnu1958 »

Rugby Gooner wrote:This is really sad news. I didn't know Steve, but he was obviously well loved and a Great Arsenal fan. May I suggest that we somehow get some money together,(£2.50-£5.00,between a few of us would be enough),to get the guy a quality "brick" at Armoury Square.Family and friends to decide on the wording.Anyone up for it?

mrgnu1958

Post by mrgnu1958 »

onemoreminute....you were/are a great friend to your mate.
im glad that steve had you and his family around him..
im just glad that steves not in pain anymore.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

onemoreminute wrote:Just got back from the hospital, spent the afternoon with his family and 4 other of our closest mates.
RIP Big Man
So moving mate. Really nothing any of us can say. I hope that in the future you might be able to take some comfort knowing that you were there at the end and that more importantly he knew that too. Our thoughts are with you.

spoona

Post by spoona »

RIP Big Man
Think its brave of you to come on and share that,thanks OMM.

Thoughts go out to all his friends and family at this difficult time,would be more than happy to get involved with a tribute/donation.

The replies on here go to show that football is secondary,RIP Charlie!Charlie!,you be missed.

MutleyGooner

Post by MutleyGooner »

I met Steve charlie charlie through this forum and became good friends with both him and Percy. Last summer we all went to Dorset to celebrate my 40th, it absolutely pissed down for days on end but it didnt dampen our spirits. Even when his tent got destroyed by the gale force winds, he didnt let it spoil his fun, he was one of lifes "Good Guys" and camping this August wont be the same without him.

I love the idea of getting a brick in his honour.

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

In happier times at Wayno's 40th.

To my very good mucker, Steve 'Charlie, Charlie' Hope.

I have valued your friendship more than you know. You were always a gent, loyal and true. You were also a daft fucker and your soppy grin will always live with me.

If I could have made a mate it would have been you........but with more hair baldy!

No longer will I walk into Phibbers at 11.15am to be chastised by you for being late for a 3pm kick off. Never again will I be able to laugh at you for getting there at 11am when you forgot its a Saturday 5.30 start because its on ESPN! Who will I have to slip the OB on the HR with now?

But most of all I will miss the banter with you. At games, texting and phone calls. Always making me smile and looking forward to the next time. If only Arsene listened to us hey! World beaters!

I will miss you so much. I raised a glass to you in my local and I have come home and put an Arsenal shirt on. Fuck knows why, it just feels right.

There will always be a pint of Fosters for you on my bar even though it is a girls beer.

Gone but never forgotten, never outclassed and never outgunned!

Love Steve, Vicki and the girls

RIP
Last edited by Percy Dalton on Thu May 19, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xDAVEYx

Post by xDAVEYx »

RIP Big Man
you sir, are one hell of a mate. be happy that he didn't suffer long-term, i had a similar situation last year and I think it's the lesser of 2 evils. keep your chin up bro.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wonderful tributes from Percy and OMM. ChazX2 was lucky to have such good mates. I'm gonna log off now because the tears are starting again.

Take care lads.

onemoreminute

Post by onemoreminute »

Percy Dalton wrote:Image

In happier times at Wayno's 40th.

To my very good mucker, Steve 'Charlie, Charlie' Hope.

I have valued your friendship more than you know. You were always a gent, loyal and true. You were alse a daft fucker and your soppy grin will always live with me.

If I could have made a mate it would have been you........but with more hair baldy!

No longer will I walk into Phibbers at 11.15am to be chastised by you for being late for a 3pm kick off. Never again will I be able to laugh at you for getting there at 11am when you forgot its a Saturday 5.30 start because its on ESPN! Who will I have to slip the OB on the HR with now?

But most of all I will miss the banter with you. At games, texting and phone calls. Always making me smile and looking forward to the next time. If only Arsene listened to us hey! World beaters!

I will miss you so much. I raised a glass to you in my local and I have come home and put an Arsenal shirt on. Fuck knows why, it just feels right.

There will always be a pint of Fosters for you on my bar even though it is a girls beer.

Gone but never forgotten, never outclassed and never outgunned!

Love Steve, Vicki and the girls
I remember Hopey inviting me to go on that but i couldnt make it, he told me what a great time he had with you and Wayno and all your families even though it pissed down it never changed the fact that he had a great time, great photo's Steve