Djourou is shite!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Post by 1989 »

Big_G wrote:I'd play Djourou over Squillaci any day tho :?
I'd play my dead granny over Squillaci. :roll:

In fact the word Squillaci should be used to describe anything that is completely and utterly useless.

Example: ****'s dick is so Squillaci. If he got an erection it still won't hit her cervix.

benglenton

Post by benglenton »

same old for djourou
he's so crap that none want him in
absolutely a waste of space in the field

AFC1886

Post by AFC1886 »

I actually rate Djourou, its no suprise that every time Squillaci plays/comes on the rest of the back four look shit. We always concede when he is on.

Squillaci just puts fear into everyone else, today he comes on at 2-0 we draw 2-2, when 4-0 up at newcastle he comes on and we all know what happened..

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Whilst I agree that he looks worse with Squillachi (who wouldn't?), did you watch the mistakes he made in the last few weeks of last season - when he wasn't being partnered by Squillachi? :?

Listen, I had high hope for Djourou a couple of years back because he looked like he had most of the physical tools to be a good CB, and when he first came back into the side, he looked like he was going to live up to that promise. Unfortunately since then he has made so many basic mistakes - that even an average defender shouldn't be making - that I've lost faith that he can actually fulfill that early promise.

Now I realise that having had a long period out, JD would inevitable have to pay a price, in terms of fatigue or lack of sharpness, at some point. But he has so many defensive faults that still need ironing out that I can't see him doing so - certainly not under Wenger. As it stands, he is no better that a 3rd or 4th choice, whereas once upon a time I thought he would be a certain first pick defender for us for a long, long time.

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

I Hate Hleb wrote:Whilst I agree that he looks worse with Squillachi (who wouldn't?), did you watch the mistakes he made in the last few weeks of last season - when he wasn't being partnered by Squillachi? :?

Listen, I had high hope for Djourou a couple of years back because he looked like he had most of the physical tools to be a good CB, and when he first came back into the side, he looked like he was going to live up to that promise. Unfortunately since then he has made so many basic mistakes - that even an average defender shouldn't be making - that I've lost faith that he can actually fulfill that early promise.

Now I realise that having had a long period out, JD would inevitable have to pay a price, in terms of fatigue or lack of sharpness, at some point. But he has so many defensive faults that still need ironing out that I can't see him doing so - certainly not under Wenger. As it stands, he is no better that a 3rd or 4th choice, whereas once upon a time I thought he would be a certain first pick defender for us for a long, long time.
spot on. Only TV5 looks capable, and he needs to improve. We need at least 3 good defenders brought in.

marcengels

Post by marcengels »

I Hate Hleb wrote:Whilst I agree that he looks worse with Squillachi (who wouldn't?), did you watch the mistakes he made in the last few weeks of last season - when he wasn't being partnered by Squillachi? :?

Well said mate.

Although I would say I have had very little hope for Djourou ever since he came into the side.

He's ok, but basic defending - not picking up, gets too close and turned, switches off.

I guess that blaming frenchfuckface makes it easire than the uncomfortable truth that a guy who looks like he's going to play more than half the games next season, is a liability.

:cry:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Djourou is just one of many Wenger signings who are not comfortable when defending.

He just hasn't got a defenders brain, and that can't be coached... and if it can, certainly not at Arsenal! :oops: :oops: :roll: :banghead:

The only consolation is that come the end of August, Djourou should - hopefully - be 4th choice CB behind Vermaelen, Koscielny and A.N. Other (possibly Jagielka or Cahill) and as far as 4th choice's go, we could do worse.

Babu

Post by Babu »

Djourou is a decent enough 4th or 5th choice. No more. I've watched him at The Arsenal and with the Swiss team, and he just hasn't got what it takes to be a CB.
He just hasn't got the mental strength and courage. Too many times he backs out of going for a high ball, he's not concentrated, he appears scared to head a ball, wanting to let it bounce, and - along with the whole Arsenal defence these days - just doesn't seem to have a proper game-plan.

His mental strength we have to live with. Won't get better with AW anyway.

But the tactics?

This must be to do with our training methods, and with our squad.

On the training ground if ( and I'm not even sure they do ) but if they practise dead-balls then the scenario must be 'defence versus attack'.

So we have our 'attack'. The last few years it would have been variations on Clichy and Sagna crossing balls in for RvP and Bendy to attack, or Walcott running as fast as he can and knocking the ball out for a goal-kick. I'm fairly confident that our 'defence' coped with that admirably, as have most teams in the League.

Wenger must see this and think that the defence is awesome.

I hoped it would get better with Chamakh. At least our defence could practise against a 'proper centre-forward, but that hasn't worked either, by the looks of things.

We need to get a proper balance in the side - not just for our games, but also so that we can practise all possible scenarios, and in football the scenario we seem to cope least well with is a good cross to a player who can head the ball.

IMO obviously because we don't have...

a) a player who can cross the ball, and...
b) a player who can head the ball.

Wenger Out!

marcengels

Post by marcengels »

Babu wrote:Djourou is a decent enough 4th or 5th choice. No more. I've watched him at The Arsenal and with the Swiss team, and he just hasn't got what it takes to be a CB.
He just hasn't got the mental strength and courage. Too many times he backs out of going for a high ball, he's not concentrated, he appears scared to head a ball, wanting to let it bounce, and - along with the whole Arsenal defence these days - just doesn't seem to have a proper game-plan.

His mental strength we have to live with. Won't get better with AW anyway.
Should be on the badge.

:barscarf:

Exiled-Gooner

Post by Exiled-Gooner »

Never rated Djourou as for a C/B he's weak,positionally inept,panic's easily,goes to sleep more times than a new born baby and injury prone,personally i would rather we sold him before Senderos.

Magic Hat

Post by Magic Hat »

Never thought I would see the day when Senderos wasn't being called the worst centreback in the history of the game :wink: To be honest, with Djorou I don't know how much of it is him being a bad player and how much of it is Wenger's coaching not ironing it the flaws in his game.

Big_G

Post by Big_G »

Magic Hat wrote:Never thought I would see the day when Senderos wasn't being called the worst centreback in the history of the game :wink: To be honest, with Djorou I don't know how much of it is him being a bad player and how much of it is Wenger's coaching not ironing it the flaws in his game.
never heard of Pascal Cygan? :lol:

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Big_G wrote:
Magic Hat wrote:Never thought I would see the day when Senderos wasn't being called the worst centreback in the history of the game :wink: To be honest, with Djorou I don't know how much of it is him being a bad player and how much of it is Wenger's coaching not ironing it the flaws in his game.
never heard of Pascal Cygan? :lol:
Or even worse - Igor Stephanovs!!! :banghead: :banghead: :oops: Funny how all of them have been signed by that great talent spotter Arsene Wenger... :rubchin: :lol: :lol: :wink:

worthing gooner

Post by worthing gooner »

Johan seems to be singing from the same songsheet when it comes to the club,"Made mistakes last year but we have learned........"
Thats the problem, nothing has been learned.
We need a change of mentality at the club, the players dont have the bollocks to hold on in 2 pre season games yet alone any other. Its out there for all to see that the majority of our players dont know how to close a game out. Dress it up anyway you want we are in for a bumpy ride folks.
Seatbelts on....

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

worthing gooner wrote:Johan seems to be singing from the same songsheet when it comes to the club,"Made mistakes last year but we have learned........"
Thats the problem, nothing has been learned.
We need a change of mentality at the club, the players dont have the bollocks to hold on in 2 pre season games yet alone any other. Its out there for all to see that the majority of our players dont know how to close a game out. Dress it up anyway you want we are in for a bumpy ride folks.
Seatbelts on....
They are brainwashed into thinking that yet they can't hold their own end of the bargin.