Walcott (centre forward)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
M-50

Walcott (centre forward)

Post by M-50 »

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... the-middle

Would love to see this happen

4-4-2 system

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Deffo on the 4-4-2.

Walcott? Yeah, I'd give him a chance there. Lots of variables RE who he plays alongside, what style, his finishing etc. But it should be tried.

worthing_gooner

Post by worthing_gooner »

I think Walcott has shown he can finish this season already and improved drastically last season with some great finishes (Fulham away, Sp*rs away and Blackburn away all spring to mind).

Obviously he's a confidence player, but he's wasted on the wings and IMO he makes some great runs. Would be good in a 4-4-2

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

Agreed. I don't buy the idea that he can be excused for serving up so much shite cos he's "played out of position" but I'd definitely give him a chance through the middle in a 4-4-2. Don't see why him & RVP couldn't work seeing as he drops so deep anyway, plus they seem to have a decent understanding.

xDAVEYx

Post by xDAVEYx »

i'd quite like to see walcott and van persie coming in on their wrong flanks and being fed by arshavin in the hole....

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

xDAVEYx wrote:i'd quite like to see walcott and van persie coming in on their wrong flanks and being fed by arshavin in the hole....
Sorry mate I'm sure you would but no oral sex or aroused genitalia allowed apparently. :lol:

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Its Up 4 Grabs Now wrote:
xDAVEYx wrote:i'd quite like to see walcott and van persie coming in on their wrong flanks and being fed by arshavin in the hole....
Sorry mate I'm sure you would but no oral sex or aroused genitalia allowed apparently. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

Theo has been pretty much screaming to be played down the middle in the press this year so far.

442 With him and rvp. We all want to see it at least given a try.

Sadly we all know it wont happen. :cry:

xDAVEYx

Post by xDAVEYx »

Its Up 4 Grabs Now wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

just read that back... oops hahahahahaha

SpanishJoe

Post by SpanishJoe »

I don't believe Theo could play up front on his own so we'd have to change formation, which I'd love to see us do. Him with RvP is worth a try.

As for Arshavin, if anyone would like to see him in the hole I'll glad dig it for the lazy fat fucker.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I've never been sure of this argument in favour of him being a central striker but we'll all die wondering unless the GIC tries it out one day.

Personally I don't think he's strong enough or intelligent enough in the timing of his runs. Perhaps in away games against sides who like to push up he would be better utilised there but in some of the home games against physical, compact sides I could see them just physically squeezing him out of the game. In those situations it really does need someone like RvP, or a DB10, TH14, with the intelligence, craft and timing to open up tight defences. Failing that you at least need a physical presence which he sure hasn't got. I remember when we were playing Arshavin, Eduardo and Vela at times in those central roles and it looked like the game just passed them by.

With his pace there'll always be occasions when he gets goal side and finishes it off, but more often than not I think he'll flatter to deceive.

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:I've never been sure of this argument in favour of him being a central striker but we'll all die wondering unless the GIC tries it out one day.

Personally I don't think he's strong enough or intelligent enough in the timing of his runs. Perhaps in away games against sides who like to push up he would be better utilised there but in some of the home games against physical, compact sides I could see them just physically squeezing him out of the game. In those situations it really does need someone like RvP, or a DB10, TH14, with the intelligence, craft and timing to open up tight defences. Failing that you at least need a physical presence which he sure hasn't got. I remember when we were playing Arshavin, Eduardo and Vela at times in those central roles and it looked like the game just passed them by.

With his pace there'll always be occasions when he gets goal side and finishes it off, but more often than not I think he'll flatter to deceive.

This ^^^^

At this stage I actually want wenger to play him up front just to kill this notion once and for all that he is a centre forward cos for me he just do not have the physical presence or intelligence to play there successfully on a regular basis. I admit that he is a player that I am nowhere near convincd about but it might actually help if I actually saw him put in a shift for the team on a regular basis :roll: This season he appears to be in sulk mode where he seems under the impression (mistakenly) that he has earned the right to bollock his team-mates and match officials but for me he doesnt work enough for the team, leaves his right back isolated as much if not more than arshavin does and he has never ever shown enough to convince he will be a top player

psychoangus

Post by psychoangus »

augie wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:I've never been sure of this argument in favour of him being a central striker but we'll all die wondering unless the GIC tries it out one day.

This ^^^^

At this stage I actually want wenger to play him up front just to kill this notion once and for all that he is a centre forward cos for me he just do not have the physical presence or intelligence to play there successfully on a regular basis. I admit that he is a player that I am nowhere near convincd about but it might actually help if I actually saw him put in a shift for the team on a regular basis :roll: This season he appears to be in sulk mode where he seems under the impression (mistakenly) that he has earned the right to bollock his team-mates and match officials but for me he doesnt work enough for the team, leaves his right back isolated as much if not more than arshavin does and he has never ever shown enough to convince he will be a top player
Yep. He was sulking all over the pitch versus Swansea, just because their left back had him in his pocket.

I think he should be given a central role, if it works, great. If it doesn't, get shot.

Even playing out on the right he could always drift in a channel and basically play in a more goal-threatening position. Theo hugging the touchline is about as predictable a threat as Ryvita.
Last edited by psychoangus on Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1989 »

I disagree augie. I think he'd flourish upfront and he has more intelligence than you give him credit for especially off the ball. Does Hernandez have strength, does Owen, Defoe, DJ Campbell, Robbie Keane? All have done just fine playing upfront as poachers which is what Theo originally was. He'd be a nightmare to defend due to his off the ball movement and runs and as you know if he's through on goal no one will catch him. He could of been a top predator a la Darren Bent had Wenger not fucked him out on the wing for so long.

Norfolk_Gooner1

Post by Norfolk_Gooner1 »

:banghead:
Last edited by Norfolk_Gooner1 on Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.