RVP nominated for Ballon d'Or

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Babatunde

RVP nominated for Ballon d'Or

Post by Babatunde »

Congratulations Robin. Thoroughly deserved. Reckon he'll definitely leave for Citeh or Madrid (more likely them) next summer. He wants to win the big prizes and fair play to him at his age especially. Top player, another one who's been let down by an incompetent manager...(see Cesc, Nasri).

'Seven Premier League players have been short listed for the prestigious 2012 Ballon d’Or award, it has been revealed, after the list was leaked to the media.

Only 34 of the 50 nominees have been revealed so far, with the remaining 16 due to be leaked in the coming days. Manchester United and Manchester City both have two nominees, Rooney and Hernandez for United and Aguero and Silva for City.

Arsenal’s Robin Van Persie is shortlisted, as is former Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas who played much of 2011 with the Gunners. Liverpool’s luis Suarez and Tottenham’s Rafa Van der Vaart make up the Premiership contingent. Chelsea currently have no players in the short list, unless one of their stars is in the 16 yet to be released.

Barcelona have 9 nominees and the usual suspects, such as Messi, Xavi and Ronaldo will be the front runners for the 2012 award.
_____________________________________________-

We all know who's winning it but what is shocking is that we have as many nominees as Spuds! :shock:
Since when does this happen!

arsenalmorris

Post by arsenalmorris »

Thoroughly Deserved

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

It's all too easy to turn everything positive into a negative, but what RvP has done in 2011, in very difficult circumstances, has been quite exceptional.

Well Played.

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

How the fuck is Fabregas nominated?

:roll:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Percy Dalton wrote:How the fuck is Fabregas nominated?

It's a popuarlity contest. Famous players usually get votes, regardless. :?

Herd

Ballon D'or

Post by Herd »

Golden balls ,says it all really ,should go to Samuel Eto as her has the most golden contract in the world right now !

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

Sumptuous start with Barca, single handedly-dragging mediocre Arsenal to 4th place, is one of the best 15 players in Europe quite easily. I understand his nomination personally...

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

Babatunde wrote:

Sumptuous start with Barca, single handedly-dragging mediocre Arsenal to 4th place, is one of the best 15 players in Europe quite easily. I understand his nomination personally...
What bollocks!

He missed a huge chunk of last season, has been injured again for a large part of this season with Barca and as for the single-handedly comment, I would have thought RVP's goals did far more to get us 4th place.

kiwomya

Post by kiwomya »

I reckon RVP will be part of the last few and fully deserved.

What with Arsenal's wage structure, if RVP continues this form - what sort of new contract will they offer him? :?

Bendtners Drinking Buddy

Post by Bendtners Drinking Buddy »

Percy Dalton wrote:
Babatunde wrote:

What bollocks!

He missed a huge chunk of last season, has been injured again for a large part of this season with Barca and as for the single-handedly comment, I would have thought RVP's goals did far more to get us 4th place.

Exactly

......and given that most of us agree that he was barely "in" with Arsenal when he did play, id say Fabregas had a smaller part to play in our season than the likes of Wilshire, Chesney, even the early form of Chamakh and Nasri etc.

MutleyGooner

Post by MutleyGooner »

I like balloons 8)

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

kiwomya wrote:I reckon RVP will be part of the last few and fully deserved.

What with Arsenal's wage structure, if RVP continues this form - what sort of new contract will they offer him? :?
Apparently new contract is £90k a week.
Same as we fofered Nasri.
LOL.
What planet do this club live on!
AW is on the equivalent of £147,000k a week isn't it?
So considering right now RVP is far more important to this club than Wenger is (fact), why on earth would you offer him this? £90k a week?
Is this club for real? We offered Nasri £90k also remember, confirmed by his agent.

FFS you have mediocre players like Berbatov on around £90k a week and they are sitting on the ManYoo bench!!! RVP is one of the three best strikers in the league (along with Aguero and Rooney/Suarez possibly).

I'd say RVP is actually WORTH more to his team than Suarez, Rooney and Aguero are to theirs. Consider how each team would perform without their start striker and there's your answer. If it's true he's been offered just £90k a week...the solution is to quell all the wages of average rubbish like Diaby etc.

Citeh will probably offer him £200k a week and Madrid can offer him £120k is the transfer fee is low enough.

Like Nasri, crucially, they will offer him a realistic chance at competing for the biggest prize i.e. the CL.

He'd be made to not jump at the chance, which is why I still laugh at ppl who call Nasri a mercenary. He just joined a better team ffs!!!

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

He wont go to City, but Real/Barca will tempt him. I don't think it matters what we offered him in terms of wages.

Anyway well done Robin, a truely world class player who along with Silva have been the two bright spots in an otherwise shitty league.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Babatunde wrote:Sumptuous start with Barca, single handedly-dragging mediocre Arsenal to 4th place, is one of the best 15 players in Europe quite easily. I understand his nomination personally...
single handedly??? :shock: :? :?

Making Van Persie's contribution... trivial?

You started this thread saying his nomination was "well deserved", and now you're dismissing RvP's contribution?

Also, were we "dragged" to 4th place last season? :? I thought our horrendous form saw us go from title "challengers" (even though, we didn't really believe it possible) to being overtaken by Chelsea, and then Citeh. It was more a [predictable] catastrophic collapse than a case of being dragged.

Cesc is a great player, but to say he single handedly dragged us to 4th is totally inaccurate. Bizarre comment.

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

g88ner wrote:
Babatunde wrote:Sumptuous start with Barca, single handedly-dragging mediocre Arsenal to 4th place, is one of the best 15 players in Europe quite easily. I understand his nomination personally...
single handedly??? :shock: :? :?

Making Van Persie's contribution... trivial?

You started this thread saying his nomination was "well deserved", and now you're dismissing RvP's contribution?

Also, were we "dragged" to 4th place last season? :? I thought our horrendous form saw us go from title "challengers" (even though, we didn't really believe it possible) to being overtaken by Chelsea, and then Citeh. It was more a [predictable] catastrophic collapse than a case of being dragged.

Cesc is a great player, but to say he single handedly dragged us to 4th is totally inaccurate. Bizarre comment.
Errr...how am I dsimissing RVP?

A list of the comments I made on him:

'Most valuable striker in the PL'
'One of the three best strikers in the league'
'Fully deserved nomination'
'Top player'.

Is that your definition of dismissive? Because then I misunderstand the word then...
:banghead: