Arshavin: "I won't warm the bench for long"

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
QuartzGooner

Arshavin: "I won't warm the bench for long"

Post by QuartzGooner »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... bench.html

To be honest if we can replace him with Goetze then it is time to say thanks and goodbye.
Very talented, but has not produced the consistency promised by his large transfer fee, and the form of his scintillating first half season.
Last edited by QuartzGooner on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paperclip

Post by paperclip »

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Andrei :barscarf:

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

He seems more focussed and motivated by Russia then he does Arsenal, will never forget how he sulked and his form dipped after they failed to qualify for the WC.

If he goes then so be it, thanks for Anfield and thanks for Barcelona at home but other then that he's been below par regardless of where he's played.

Red Member

Post by Red Member »

don't blame him.
why he is not starting more games I have no idea.

kiwomya

Post by kiwomya »

I like him but his performances rarely warrant a starting place in the side.

As long as we get a proper replacement then I don't think I would mind him leaving. Shame that he couldn't really do it for Arsenal regularly.

topcat

Post by topcat »

Red Member wrote:don't blame him.
he's a lazy player mate thats why, open your eyes.

paperclip

Post by paperclip »

Red Member wrote:don't blame him.
Because he's fat, lazy and useless.

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

paperclip wrote:Don't let the door hit you on the way out Andrei :barscarf:
:cheers:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Good old Red Member, a wind-up merchant on just about every thread going now.

Yes we know the game - when everyone else was raging at us getting beat 8-2 and languishing at the bottom end of the table, Wenger was a hero and we were definitely top four material

Now, when we're on our best run in ages, you go completely overboard about the Marseille game and try the reverse logic to wind everyone up.

Then you take players like Arshavin who finally has been regularly dropped after 18 months of contributing fuck all, and try winding everyone up by saying he shouldn't be.

Lets guess what comes next:

1. Drop RvP, and put Chamakh in instead
2. Sell Wilshere and RvP in the Summer and spend the money on Joey Barton and Bobby Zamora instead
3. Give Arshavin the captaincy
4. Drop Szezcny and restore Fabianski as No.1
5. Loan out Vermaelen and replace with Squillaci

Come on RM...we're waiting

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

When Gervinho and Walcott start more games than you andrei, why dont you ask yourself why?

I dont hate any arsenal player, but Andrey isn't the player we hoped he was. I've been on his case for a long time, because he simply is not good enough.

If he leaves it can be very positive, because someone will pay a decent fee~ 10M and we can get someone who is actually effective. Wish you luck with russia, but if you want out then go right ahead. :)

The point about about Wenger being autocratic, yeah i'd agree with andrey on that, it blows.

Red Member

Post by Red Member »

Arshavin proved in the Carling Cup match that he was better suited to a more central role.

Had he played there in the Marseille game he would have created enough chances for Park to score.

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

We have never seen the best of him due to the fact he has been played out of position for his whole Arsenal career.

Now I havent seen him loads with Russia, but I have seen him 4/5 times playing for Russia over the last couple of seasons, and he is a totally different player.

Yes he is lazy, but what makes him so effective for his country is playing through the middle, where you basically have no choice but to be more involved in the game. He plays behind the strikers but has the freedom to come deeper into midfeild to pick up the ball and try and make something. The games I have seen he links everything together in the midfeild. Lots of one touch passes and plenty of link up play with the strikers. His ability to pick out a pass is quality. And he clearly relishes playing in this role.

This is due to his position on the pitch - THROUGH THE MIDDLE. He is wasted out wide as he has far less options on for the pass and also has to run more with the ball(which isnt the best part of his game). We are basically not getting the best out of him, and i feel the major factor his this wide left rubbish.

Quartz metioned Goetze. And to an extent I agree, but can see the exact same thing happening with him. A guy who want to play behind the strikers through the middle and will just be pushed out wide on the left or right, out of position. Look at what playing out of position does to someone like steven gerrard, a pure centre mid player, stick him on the left for england and he looks lost.

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

We have never seen the best of him due to the fact he has been played out of position for his whole Arsenal career.
I don't agree. He's a top draw talent, even out of position he's still playing in the attacking area of the pitch and has failed in the last 2 years to change Wenger's mind that he should even be in the team let alone playing through the middle.

As much as Theo is frustrating out wide, at least the boy puts a bit of effort in, he's just not great out there. Arshavin comes on and fucks about running into people.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

rigsby wrote:
I don't agree. He's a top draw talent, even out of position he's still playing in the attacking area of the pitch and has failed in the last 2 years to change Wenger's mind that he should even be in the team let alone playing through the middle.

As much as Theo is frustrating out wide, at least the boy puts a bit of effort in, he's just not great out there. Arshavin comes on and fucks about running into people.
I agree with this. Worst of all is his carelessness when in possession of the ball. Now I don't mind a player losing the ball if he is trying to take on his defender or trying a slide-rule pass that might lead to a chance, but the amount of times Arshavin gives away possession due to his own lack of concentration/awareness/effort - I'm not quite sure what it is - can be downright infuriating. This is then exacerbated when he just stands there with either a little guilty look or childish grin on his face, rather than making an effort to rectify his mistake by trying to win the ball back.

It's especially more galling and frankly unacceptable when you know the guy really does have great talent, but lacks that bit of application and self motivation that separates the good from the great. :cry: :banghead:

bergkamp10

Post by bergkamp10 »

paperclip wrote:Don't let the door hit you on the way out Andrei :barscarf:
Shame thought he might come good this season, with Sammy (*word censored*) Nasri gone.. But his lost all his speed, etc, etc :lol: