Gavin Hoyte

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
AFC1886

Gavin Hoyte

Post by AFC1886 »

Having just read the report on the reserves win over Norwich today, I realised that Gavin Hoyte is still actually an Arsenal player!!

I know he is only 21 but he hasnt played a competitive for us since 2008-2009 season, he keeps going out on loan where he never seems to shine, whats the point in having him on the wage bill?

Is he going to be the new Mark Randall? Being part of the squad every pre season but not even getting a game in the Carling Cup!!

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

A relative of his,(Uncle from what I remember), works in the Bet Fred bookies in Rugby!!!
:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Perhaps it isn't like this these days, but if I was a young lad with decent talent, I'd want to be playing first team football somewhere, challenging myself and wanting to impress. Saying that though, it's probably a nice life being a squad player at Arsenal. Live in London, get paid good money, mess about with your mates and not really have to push yourself.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

This may explain a lot

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... tract.html

Another LONG TERM contract given to a pile of shite who had not even proved himself.No wonder he aint going nowhere

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

get paid good money
I think you'll find it's more like 'Get paid a Premiership footballers wage'..........despite not getting anywhere near the Premiership!! Welcome to Arsenal, home of the easy wage!

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Did well on loan but got injured.

At 21 worth seeing if he can still make it with us.

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

Rugby Gooner wrote:A relative of his,(Uncle from what I remember), works in the Bet Fred bookies in Rugby!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

I once had a beer with somebody related to Benny Hill :barscarf: :wink:

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

donaldo wrote:This may explain a lot

Another LONG TERM contract given to a pile of shite who had not even proved himself.No wonder he aint going nowhere
To be fair, long term thats probably sensible. Wont work out every time, but if the lad was just on the fringes of the squad then, he'll hardly have commanded a massive wage at all. Getting him to sign a (presumably) 5 year deal is farily sensible- he's not on much money but it means that if he suddenly does progress, he's not got a deal about to run out so his best option is to negotiate another deal with Arsenal (for much better money) because its either that or wait 2 or 3 years on shit money (relatively speaking) before being able to move to wherever wants him. So if he becomes good then having signed a 5 year deal at 18, you can tie him down to a proper deal at 20 taking him to his peak years at around 25.

If he doesnt become good enough for Arsenal but is good enough for a middle of the road PL/ good championship team, the fact he has a good few years left on his deal means you'll get a pretty good fee (more than enough to turn a good profit even accounting for his wages whilst coming through the ranks)

Sometimes (as appears to be the case here) it'll backfire and you're stuck with a lad who seems not to have much future about lower championship/ league 1 level but then the wages are still low so it wont cost too much before you let him go, and the wages will be low enough that other clubs might even be happy to loan him and pay the full amount, meaning that he costs you very little. There doesnt need to be many successes for this kind of policy to be well worth doing

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

olgitgooner wrote:
Rugby Gooner wrote:A relative of his,(Uncle from what I remember), works in the Bet Fred bookies in Rugby!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

I once had a beer with somebody related to Benny Hill :barscarf: :wink:
:coffeespit: :lol: :lol: :lol:

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

safcftm wrote: To be fair, long term thats probably sensible. Wont work out every time, but if the lad was just on the fringes of the squad then, he'll hardly have commanded a massive wage at all. Getting him to sign a (presumably) 5 year deal is farily sensible- he's not on much money but it means that if he suddenly does progress, he's not got a deal about to run out so his best option is to negotiate another deal with Arsenal (for much better money) because its either that or wait 2 or 3 years on shit money (relatively speaking) before being able to move to wherever wants him. So if he becomes good then having signed a 5 year deal at 18, you can tie him down to a proper deal at 20 taking him to his peak years at around 25.

If he doesnt become good enough for Arsenal but is good enough for a middle of the road PL/ good championship team, the fact he has a good few years left on his deal means you'll get a pretty good fee (more than enough to turn a good profit even accounting for his wages whilst coming through the ranks)

Sometimes (as appears to be the case here) it'll backfire and you're stuck with a lad who seems not to have much future about lower championship/ league 1 level but then the wages are still low so it wont cost too much before you let him go, and the wages will be low enough that other clubs might even be happy to loan him and pay the full amount, meaning that he costs you very little. There doesnt need to be many successes for this kind of policy to be well worth doing
hey mate, we don't take kindly to folks who think too much around here. :evil:

arsene's stupid for paying money to a young player and you should not question that in here :evil:

it's pretty simple: is the mentioned player a top quality international? NO? is he as good as ljungberg or bergkamp? NO? does he still have a contract? YES, right? there you go, absolute nonsense from the manager.

see, that's all you need to think about.

:wink:

_James_

Post by _James_ »

Strange how he lasted longer than his brother at Arsenal who I thought was the better player, looks like he will leave on a free when his contract ends though.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

21 years old, hasn't played competitively for us in three seasons, awarded a long term deal.

How much longer are we going to carry on down this route?

If he's not deemed worthy of a squad role at the age of 21 and we are signing players from League One of a similar age, why the hell do we hold on to him

Randall, Simpson, Aliadiere all players where it was perfectly apparent they were never Arsenal class. Mannone, Vela, Denilson all in that category too.

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

To be fair SteveO, how can you say he's shit when he never plays? Give him time. People are too quick to judge. Aliadiere was also written off as a joke waste of money and look at him now?!

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Babatunde wrote:To be fair SteveO, how can you say he's shit when he never plays? Give him time. People are too quick to judge. Aliadiere was also written off as a joke waste of money and look at him now?!
Yep, as the GIC says "we live in a world where people make instant judgements"

Always best to take a 5 year, maturing view of the likes of wonderboy Aliadiere, and that midfield maestro Randall

JMascis666

Post by JMascis666 »

safcftm wrote:
donaldo wrote:This may explain a lot

To be fair, long term thats probably sensible. Wont work out every time, but if the lad was just on the fringes of the squad then, he'll hardly have commanded a massive wage at all. Getting him to sign a (presumably) 5 year deal is farily sensible- he's not on much money but it means that if he suddenly does progress, he's not got a deal about to run out so his best option is to negotiate another deal with Arsenal (for much better money) because its either that or wait 2 or 3 years on shit money (relatively speaking) before being able to move to wherever wants him. So if he becomes good then having signed a 5 year deal at 18, you can tie him down to a proper deal at 20 taking him to his peak years at around 25.

That reminds me how is Roarie Deacon doing at Sunderland this year? I always thought he had a bit about him so was surprised to seem leave Arsenal when he did.