ARSENE WENGER TRANSFERS:DO YOU WANT HIM TO HAVE MORE MONEY?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Does he have cuddly balls :?

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

mcdowell42 wrote:Does he have cuddly balls :?

I dunno, I am guessing with all that mental strength bursting outta that spunk in his post-match interviews.....

:lol:

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

topcat wrote:Babatunde, its getting late mate. Go to bed and we'll all be fresh to discuss this topic in the morning.
I've been following your efforts with basic vocabulary for a while mate.
I appreciate your positive outlook, and I remember undergoing the same never-say-negatives positivity when I was following the Arsenal as a 15 year old.

When you get older, your views change somewhat (with many, not all).

In any event, I'd happily warm you some milk if it helps you sleep better, so as you say, we can be fresh for this discussion in the morning after a long nap!

Nighty night

xx

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

BournemouthRED wrote:Jesus mate, do you ever go outside?
Not since 1997.

What's it like out there mate? Agoraphobia is a serious disease, don't condascend me man....

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

If Wenger had cuddly balls, or any type of balls, he would have given Alan '*word censored*' Pardew a slap at Upton Park a few years back ;)

Post by 1989 »

The Silvestre signing proved beyond any doubt that Wenger had lost the plot. I still haven't gotten over that one.

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

1989 wrote:The Silvestre signing proved beyond any doubt that Wenger had lost the plot. I still haven't gotten over that one.
Yup. That's the one that did it for me too. Silvestre wasn't exactly world class even his younger days. Pffff. WTF. :?

Bergkamp-Genius

Post by Bergkamp-Genius »

I don't think Gallas was a flop...he was the main man in the centre of our defence from his arrival, so you can't really classify him as a flop...he may not have been as good as you would have liked, but flop, no...

Also, some signings may not have turned out that great overall for one reason or another but were actually good signings when they were signed.. Rosicky, Eduardo and Arshavin being good examples of that..

The answer to the question 'do i want him to have any more money to spend' ...is no...because i think it's time for him to move on and i don't think there is any point in allowing him to keep the team going in the direction he has been taking it...
Last edited by Bergkamp-Genius on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

Bergkamp-Genius wrote:I don't think Gallas was a flop...he was the main man in the centre of our defence from his arrival, so you can't really classify him as a flop...he may not have been as good as you would have liked, but flop, no...

Also, some signings may not have turned out that great overall for one reason or another but were actually good signings when they were signed.. Rosicky, Eduardo and Arshavin being good examples of that..
Gallas was a flop for me as best shown by his disgraceful conduct at Birmingham in 08.

And if a signing seems good but does not turn out, that is the risk assumed by the manager upon signing the player. Wenger's made too many gambles that haven't worked out.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Gallas was a good player for us.
Plus he had the guts to tell some of the slackers what he thought of them.

Eduardo was good too, injury put paid to his career.

Walcott, not a flop. Not a massive success, but not too bad and still young.

Rosicky, good before his injury. So not a bad signing, but an unlucky one.

I believe that Bischoff was £500,000 not £1.3M. Where was £1.3M from?

Bergkamp-Genius

SWLGooner wrote:
Bergkamp-Genius wrote:I don't think Gallas was a flop...he was the main man in the centre of our defence from his arrival, so you can't really classify him as a flop...he may not have been as good as you would have liked, but flop, no...

Gallas was a flop for me as best shown by his disgraceful conduct at Birmingham in 08.

And if a signing seems good but does not turn out, that is the risk assumed by the manager upon signing the player. Wenger's made too many gambles that haven't worked out.
I didn't like Gallas much, but i don't think he was any where near bad enough to be labelled a flop and certainly not off the back of one game, where it was his attitude that was at fault not his game...

As for the other three...i have no problems with players who appeared to be quality not working out, that is a risk a manager has to take...I have far more problems when he doesn't take the risk of buying quality players than when he does and they turn out to be not as good as expected or end up ruined by injury...

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

Do you lot not think that a Director of Football, like a superior Comolli, should be drafted in to deal with signings? Think about it. Arsenal appoint e.g. Bergkamp as Director of Football.

He identifies Three players per position lacking. So creative midfielder he gives Wenger a list with:

- Christian Eriksen
- Mario Goetze
- Eden Hazard

Wenger's job is to pick one of these he wants, and the negotiations are left to Gazidis over price and contract. Wenger should have NOTHING to do with that.
So you see, AW is still picking the player, but if one fails, then it goes to a second choice etc.

This works perfectly fine at other clubs. Liverpool have it, Sevilla do it, AC Milan have had that for ages, Inter Milan had Marco Branca. It works fine, and the best part of all is that it takes away massive power from Wenger.

Believe me, if you have a Director of Football, then forget signing Shitachis, Chamakhs and Santos at That price. (when the likes of a better, physically fitter Enrique are available for less).

I am not saying Wenger ain;t free to carry on his obsession with rubbish young kids....but again. All young players can be scouted, and Wenger given a list by the DOF. He then is to pick a list of them. Meaning, Arsenal don't end up with so many rubbish French kids.

The only problem with this model though, is that it is ambitious, and requires a serious club organization and investment crucially.

wicklowgooner

Re: ARSENE WENGER TRANSFERS:DO YOU WANT HIM TO HAVE MORE MON

Post by wicklowgooner »

[quote="Babatunde"]I was thinking about Arsene Wenger's transfer record

January 2006:

In:

Theo Walcott (Southampton, £6 million initially, rising to £12 million on completion) FLOP
Abou Diaby (Auxerre, £2.5 million). Arsene's boyfriend MEGA-FLOP.

Summer 2006:

In:
Tomáš Rosický (Borussia Dortmund, £8 million) FLOP.
Justin Hoyte (Sunderland, loan return) FLOP.
Jeremie Aliadière (Wolverhampton Wanderers, loan return) FLOP.
William Gallas (Chelsea, player exchange) FLOP.
Denílson Pereira Neves (Sao Paulo, £3.4m) FLOP.

Summer 2007:

Łukasz Fabiański ( £2m, Legia Warsaw) MEGAFLOP.
Carlos Eduardo da Silva (£7.5m, Dinamo Zagreb ) FLOP. (Unfortunate yes. Still a flop. sold at a loss too).
Bacary Sagna (£7m, Auxerre) SUCCESS.
Lassana Diarra (undisclosed, Chelsea) FLOP (due to management. Quality player, sold at a ridiculous knockdown price, played out of position, sacrificed for Flamini. Idiotic.)

Summer 2008:

In:
Carlos Alberto Vela Garrido (returning from loan, work permit approved) FLOP
Aaron Ramsey (£5m, Cardiff) JURY OUT
Samir Nasri (£11m, Marseille) SUCCESS
Amaury Bischoff (£1.3 million, Werder Bremen) Ha ha ha ha.
Mikaël Silvestre (£750k, Manchester United) Ha ha ha ha ha.

January 2009:

Andrey Arshavin (£10m initially, rising to £16.5 million Zenit St. Petersburg) FLOP

Summer 2009:

Thomas Vermaelen (£10m, Ajax) SUCCESS.

Summer 2010:

Marouane Chamakh (free) EPIC FLOP.
Laurent Koscielny (£10.5 million, Lorient) JURY OUT (so far I'd say a flop at that price though)

Walcott not a flop, not great but at 6 to 12m not a flop.
Rosicky was class when he joined and then joined the injury train amongst other rumours.
Aliadière, come on man he was the next big thing and it just fell apart for him. Anyone i ask-non gunners still talk of his potential.
Eduardo- what planet? vfm until injury.
Diarra- player issue as world and his wife knows, didn't want to wait his turn.
Ramsey again vfm and starting to show good form.
Nasri- again had serious potential but only performed for less than 6 months. Won't blame Wenger until I see Mancini play him week in week out.
Arshavin not sure!
Verm top drawer, Kos is too. He has been finding his feet and is becoming very good cb.
Those I ignored are agreed rubbish but how much has been wasted here compared to other top 4 clubs- Veron, Bebe, Berbatov??

Juan

Post by Juan »

Not sure I agree with a Director of Football model, but I do agree that Wenger should not be involved with the negotiations. Since Dein left we really have struggled in the transfer market.

BTW is Comolli now Director of Football at Liverpool?
Last edited by Juan on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bergkamp-Genius

That will never happen Baba...Wenger wants the power to control everything and the board are happy to allow him to have that power....The only way that system would be implemented at the club would be if Wenger left...