European Fans

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
LyusN1

Post by LyusN1 »

The Club do seem to be the main stumbling block in this. The set-up of the ground is so far from ideal.

I am completely willing to do something too. I'd bet there are a number of people who are interested too but see the obstacles as too great.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it'll make, and this sort of topic seems to do the rounds every few months, but we have to try. What we have at the moment is just sadly not working...

HashKads

Post by HashKads »

If we had another block 6 at the other end of the ground near the away fans that would help.

M-50

Post by M-50 »

LyusN1 wrote:The Club do seem to be the main stumbling block in this. The set-up of the ground is so far from ideal.

I am completely willing to do something too. I'd bet there are a number of people who are interested too but see the obstacles as too great.

I'm not sure how much of a difference it'll make, and this sort of topic seems to do the rounds every few months, but we have to try. What we have at the moment is just sadly not working...
We can only try mate.

I have plenty of contacts around the media to get involved and if anything at least the club will become aware that supporters want change to the current atmosphere.

I've started a thread to chat about it and for people to get involved. Let's get this ball rolling

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

Last night was almost the last straw for me. I love Arsenal, but I just can not tolerate sitting in that bowl with plastics, mongs, tourists etc for much longer. Watching football at that place is a fucking torture. I read a quote the other day that summed it up brilliantly for me; "Football should be community based, chaotic & fun." Ain't nothing fun about watching football at AG.

More & more i'm trying to get to football on the continent. I don't support any of the teams and their fans may well consider me a tourist but it's a hundred times more fun than it is over here & a fraction of the cost. I'm going to Dortmund in December, a couple of lower league German games in January & Poland in March. Probably looking forward to those more than the next Arsenal home match.

Step

Post by Step »

Best away fans for a long time.

Kept it going all match. Particularly impressive when all 5000 were bouncing up and down in unison singing.

Probably helps that they're not all pissed out of their heads which I think affects the ability of the English fans to actually co ordinate themselves and sing together.

Only a couple of occasions when the Gooners have got it together noise wise at AG . For Man U (lasting about 5 mins) and obviously Barca.

Away trips are the only chance of a good loud day.

richpye

Post by richpye »

Dan_85 wrote:Last night was almost the last straw for me. I love Arsenal, but I just can not tolerate sitting in that bowl with plastics, mongs, tourists etc for much longer. Watching football at that place is a fucking torture. I read a quote the other day that summed it up brilliantly for me; "Football should be community based, chaotic & fun." Ain't nothing fun about watching football at AG.

More & more i'm trying to get to football on the continent. I don't support any of the teams and their fans may well consider me a tourist but it's a hundred times more fun than it is over here & a fraction of the cost. I'm going to Dortmund in December, a couple of lower league German games in January & Poland in March. Probably looking forward to those more than the next Arsenal home match.
Whilst you're there you might want to try the German Ice Hockey. Atmosphere in there is incredible

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

I find that after a while continental support just becomes white noise to me. Granted I've yet to go on a euro away but I've been sat near the away fans a few times, marseille being the most recent. While it was quite impressive for the opening 5/10 minutes it was soon clear there was very little reaction from the crowd to the game they were watching. They didnt look to lift their team during lulls or drive them on when they were on the up and looking for a goal.. just the same choir making the same noise for 90 minutes.

Eventually it became quite easy to block out, probably the same for the players. Imo a crowd "waking up" like they do in England can be far more intimidating then just constant noise.

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

LDB wrote:I find that after a while continental support just becomes white noise to me. Granted I've yet to go on a euro away but I've been sat near the away fans a few times, marseille being the most recent. While it was quite impressive for the opening 5/10 minutes it was soon clear there was very little reaction from the crowd to the game they were watching. They didnt look to lift their team during lulls or drive them on when they were on the up and looking for a goal.. just the same choir making the same noise for 90 minutes.

Eventually it became quite easy to block out, probably the same for the players. Imo a crowd "waking up" like they do in England can be far more intimidating then just constant noise.
+1.

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

LDB wrote:I find that after a while continental support just becomes white noise to me. Granted I've yet to go on a euro away but I've been sat near the away fans a few times, marseille being the most recent. While it was quite impressive for the opening 5/10 minutes it was soon clear there was very little reaction from the crowd to the game they were watching. They didnt look to lift their team during lulls or drive them on when they were on the up and looking for a goal.. just the same choir making the same noise for 90 minutes.

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

richpye wrote:
Dan_85 wrote:Last night was almost the last straw for me. I love Arsenal, but I just can not tolerate sitting in that bowl with plastics, mongs, tourists etc for much longer. Watching football at that place is a fucking torture. I read a quote the other day that summed it up brilliantly for me; "Football should be community based, chaotic & fun." Ain't nothing fun about watching football at AG.

Whilst you're there you might want to try the German Ice Hockey. Atmosphere in there is incredible
Indeed. The Greeks love to go a bit mental at the Water Polo too;

http://youtu.be/hFpV2T9tQvw

:lol:

xDAVEYx

Post by xDAVEYx »

last night definitely put to rest that shite argument that the acoustics in that place are rubbish. i told the guys behind us to times that by 10 and you got an idea what it was like IN dortmund... fuuuuuckin 'ell

GermanBlue

Post by GermanBlue »

xDAVEYx wrote:last night definitely put to rest that shite argument that the acoustics in that place are rubbish. i told the guys behind us to times that by 10 and you got an idea what it was like IN dortmund... fuuuuuckin 'ell
I actually love the acoustic of the Emirates. First noticed that in the Carling Cup Semi last season, how well and loud you can hear the away fans even in the North Bank. Waaay better acoustics than in Dortmund for example. I'm sure Arsenal hired some acoustic engineers for the construction of the roof?!

littlefire

Post by littlefire »

Dan_85 wrote:Last night was almost the last straw for me. I love Arsenal, but I just can not tolerate sitting in that bowl with plastics, mongs, tourists etc for much longer. Watching football at that place is a fucking torture.

Amen.

:banghead:

littlefire

Post by littlefire »

LyusN1 wrote:The Club do seem to be the main stumbling block in this.
Not this time. It's easy: just fcukin sing up for the Arsenal!!!

:evil:

SpanishJoe

Post by SpanishJoe »

When I used to go to a lot of games it was always a small group of fans who started a song. They decided what song and when so, imo, no different to a bloke with a megaphone, or the bands that some clubs have. Spontaneous singing is best, but if it's not happening then engineering some noise is better than nothing.

For me, any extra noise would be welcome. More exciting play would help but the Club can help. I remember a few years back talk of a 'singing section'. Did that ever happen? If a block of a few hundred start others will follow.
Some heroes on the pitch and new songs for them would help but the 'prawn sandwich' nature of many fans now makes it harder.

However, we shouldn't eulogise foreign supporters too much. I've been to plenty of dull Spanish matches where the atmosphere was non-existent.
I always think that away fans, at night matches, in Europe make for the best atmosphere.

Additionally, as somebody who can't get to matches at the moment, I'm interested in why the Grove is so quiet when our away support at Old Trafford and the Bridge was so brilliant.