European Fans

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Eboue-Why?

European Fans

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Watching the Napoli/Man City game and seeing the numbers of Germans last night and the noise they made, it makes you wonder why they are so mentalistic on the continent and why English fans are in general so quiet? The noise in Italy was deafening at times, they get there so early before the game etc. We all know the Turks are bonkers.

Even back in the 'good old days' where I remember getting on the North Bank at 2pm and the singing would start a good 45 mins before the game, it was nothing compared to what some fans in some countries do. So even though we now have a more cosmopolitan fan base as have loads of clubs in England, we've never really been so keen on singing, making a noise, wearing scarves etc etc

Discuss!

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

Because we aren't choreographed which in my mind is a good thing, I don't go to football to have some twat standing on a fence facing the wrong way tell me what to do :barscarf:

worthing gooner

Post by worthing gooner »

You should of been in Dortmund pal. For 90 minutes they didnt stop even when they were losing. I couldnt hear my mate who was 3 metres away from me.
They ARE part of the game not just watching it.

SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

Give someone a MEGAPHONE and a song sheet and lets see what we can do at the Grove..

mind you

one of my buddies might confiscate it off you...and chuck you out :lol:

SurreyGooner

Post by SurreyGooner »

Really jealous of european fans, we're embarrassing compared to most

worthing gooner

SammyDroppedHisShorts wrote:Give someone a MEGAPHONE and a song sheet and lets see what we can do at the Grove..

mind you

one of my buddies might confiscate it off you...and chuck you out :lol:
I had a V polite chat to one of your boys telling me to sit down and replying with "Well tell the same thing to that lot then ( away fans). Got no response from him. I dont want to sit down and i really couldnt give a toss about the away lot but parity anyone???

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

SWLGooner wrote:Because we aren't choreographed which in my mind is a good thing, I don't go to football to have some twat standing on a fence facing the wrong way tell me what to do :barscarf:
There in lies the problem sir! English fans don't have the mentality or organisation that they do on the continent.

We all marvel at how good their support is but then laugh, take the piss & dismiss it as "choreographed shite" when people suggest we should look to them for inspiration. All the while Europe continue to ridicule & take the piss out of us in our own stadiums.

I await safcftm, I know he's not a fan of the European supporting style either :lol:

HashKads

Post by HashKads »

Dan_85 wrote:
SWLGooner wrote:Because we aren't choreographed which in my mind is a good thing, I don't go to football to have some twat standing on a fence facing the wrong way tell me what to do :barscarf:
There in lies the problem sir! English fans don't have the mentality or organisation that they do on the continent.

We all marvel at how good their support is but then laugh, take the piss & dismiss it as "choreographed shite" when people suggest we should look to them for inspiration. All the while Europe continue to ridicule & take the piss out of us in our own stadiums.

I await safcftm, I know he's not a fan of the European supporting style either :lol:
Did you get lucky last night Dan? Any bratwurste up the jacksie? :lol:

I am a fan of it tbh. The guy at the front is no different from someone in the stands starting all the songs etc. And if the end result is everyone joining in ala the European fans, then I am all for it.

LyusN1

Post by LyusN1 »

Don't Crystal Palace have a mini Ultras section in the European vein? They have flags and banners etc. I'm sure I read that somewhere...

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

LyusN1 wrote:Don't Crystal Palace have a mini Ultras section in the European vein? They have flags and banners etc. I'm sure I read that somewhere...
Yes they do the Holmesdale Ultras.

But they are supporters in the English tradition.

I would love to see that, but it wouldn't happen at Arsenal...

worthing gooner

It doent have to have a knob with a megaphone yelling all the songs. Simple stuff like sections of the ground singing at each other and involve signalling with your arms at the same time.( Like the Ronaldo one that UTD had going..) Ie Left side starts a chant in the away section then the right side respond. Upper tier sing a song, lower tier respond. Anything to change the malaise that we are in right now. We have the ailes in all grounds so that would determine the sections.
Any other ideas?

LyusN1

Post by LyusN1 »

SWLGooner wrote:
LyusN1 wrote:Don't Crystal Palace have a mini Ultras section in the European vein? They have flags and banners etc. I'm sure I read that somewhere...
Yes they do the Holmesdale Ultras.

But they are supporters in the English tradition.

I would love to see that, but it wouldn't happen at Arsenal...
Seems like a good idea. Take the best of both. I don't think old school English terrace culture will ever be replicated sadly.

I would love to see it too but can't imagine seeing it either...

Will this forum be able to coordinate anything? I mean, look at how people rallied to your banner. Grassroots...

RocastleRock

Post by RocastleRock »

I think its great what they do, part of going to watch us play european teams is so I can see there fans, I love it.

It's just not very english to show so much passion, too worried about what other people are going to think.

The germans sounded great lastnight, wish i'd been there.

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

worthing gooner wrote:It doent have to have a knob with a megaphone yelling all the songs. Simple stuff like sections of the ground singing at each other and involve signalling with your arms at the same time.( Like the Ronaldo one that UTD had going..) Ie Left side starts a chant in the away section then the right side respond. Upper tier sing a song, lower tier respond. Anything to change the malaise that we are in right now. We have the ailes in all grounds so that would determine the sections.
Any other ideas?
LyusN1 wrote:Will this forum be able to coordinate anything? I mean, look at how people rallied to your banner. Grassroots...
It's worth a try, but I really believe it is futile, almost impossible the way things are now.

How can we co-ordinate chanting between different parts of the ground when we don't have set, specific sections for the vocal support in the way we had the NB/CE? It's fucking impossible without a massive overhaul of the setup of the stadium.

M-50

Post by M-50 »

Lads (& lassies) I'm all up for co-ordinating a campaign to change the atmosphere at our home games. Don't give a flying f*ck who says it's impossible, if you don't shoot you won't score.

I done something similar in Ireland recently and it had huge success so I'm game ball for kicking this forward