TA6 in The Telegraph

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Juan

TA6 in The Telegraph

Post by Juan »

Interesting...

[quote]The most successful captain in the club’s history has been immortalised in bronze, along with Thierry Henry and Herbert Chapman at the Emirates Stadium.

Unveiled yesterday, their statues now stand proudly outside the Emirates where the club today celebrates 125 years of existence. Everton are the visitors, the team Adams famously scored against in 1998 to seal Arsene Wenger’s first league title at Highbury.

And it is the pose Adams adopted in celebrating that volley, two arms aloft with a beaming smile, that has been re-created for posterity’s sake.

My old team-mate, the cheeky chappy from Essex forever getting into scrapes, has somehow turned into a proper living legend. Now working in Azerbaijan for Gabala FC, Adams is heading to Bucharest to meet with a potential signing. I suggest he has come a long way since joining Arsenal in 1979.

“I know. And I can remember that day clearly now. You know what it was like up at London Colney. There was never much room. So because there wasn’t anywhere else to go, I signed the schoolboy forms in the toilets. It was the only quiet place Steve Burtenshaw [the chief scout] could find.

“Then you look back at all the matches, the tough scraps at Barnsley or somewhere on a wet Tuesday night. It’s been a long road but this kind of thing makes it all worthwhile.

“It’s been a year or more now since I found out about the statue. I’ve been working with the artist, giving him all my dimensions and that, making sure he increases my chest size by a few inches. Now it’s done, Ray Parlour actually reckons the statue moves quicker than me!

“But seriously, I was thrilled to bits when I heard. It’s a massive honour to be recognised this way. I know some people think you should be dead before having a statue cast but, without wishing to get too profound, this commemorates a playing career that died a while back.â€

Post by 1989 »

Interesting bit about Merts adding to the team spirit and togetherness. The Big Fucking German was worth every penny imo, top signing.

Good to see the Tone being involved somewhat with the goings on at the club.

Would love to see him return in some capacity. Perhaps as assistant manager when Pat Rice retires? He did a great job assisting the tax cheat whilst at Pompey.

Bendtners Drinking Buddy

Post by Bendtners Drinking Buddy »

1989 wrote:Interesting bit about Merts adding to the team spirit and togetherness. The Big Fucking German was worth every penny imo, top signing.
Good to see the Tone being involved somewhat with the goings on at the club.

Would love to see him return in some capacity. Perhaps as assistant manager when Pat Rice retires? He did a great job assisting the tax cheat whilst at Pompey.
Correct - he is good at the simple stuff and we don give away anywhere near as many simple goals. He may not be a "crazy do or die" defender like TV....but his influence on the team is obvious......look at the improvement Kos has made....can only learn from someone like Per = we had been crying out for gim for years.

Thank fuck we didnt get Cahill!

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

1989 wrote:Interesting bit about Merts adding to the team spirit and togetherness. The Big Fucking German was worth every penny imo, top signing.
to be fair, we've been claiming for that signing for how long?

he's our 3rd best centreback, but as we all know very well, you need THREE top centrebacks if you want to be successfull (bould and adams with oleary, then linighan, then keown...)

worthing gooner

Post by worthing gooner »

I have been lucky enough to have met Steve Burtenshaw a few times (He lives down this way) but i didnt realise that he got TA to sign.
A pretty good signing that back in the day.