Ted Drake

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Ted Drake

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

Just read a really good article about how he changed the Chelsea way of life in the early 50s leading them to their only League title worthy of being called champions.

I know as we all do that he holds he club record for goals in a league season with 42 goals in 41 games and of course the incredible seven goal haul at Villa Park in 1935.

Do you guys ever think either one of these records will ever get broken?

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

As soon as Goetze signs and Henry returns - and Podolski starts whacking them in. ! :barscarf:

Rocky Number Seven
Location: North Bank, Turnstile D, Block 7, Row 8, Seat 225 / Essex

Post by Rocky Number Seven »

Theres a clip here about the 7 goals. Shame we dont get to see more old footage from back in the day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWDLbPunC-8

I dont think the 7 goals will ever be broken but if the top flight still had 42 game seasons then I reckon eventually that record could have one day falllen. Thankfully though it now doesnt look like ever happening :barscarf:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Shhh Wenger will try and bring him back and all :roll:

:wink:

SPARKSY

Re: Ted Drake

Post by SPARKSY »

SammyDroppedHisShorts wrote:Just read a really good article about how he changed the Chelsea way of life in the early 50s leading them to their only League title worthy of being called champions.

I know as we all do that he holds he club record for goals in a league season with 42 goals in 41 games and of course the incredible seven goal haul at Villa Park in 1935.

Going off at a slightly different angle here but who remebers Tony Woodcocks 5 goals against Villa in 83. Most goals in a game by an Arsenal player post war.................

Juan

Post by Juan »

Shhh Wenger will try and bring him back and all
Nice!

SammyDroppedHisShorts

SPARKSY wrote:
SammyDroppedHisShorts wrote:Just read a really good article about how he changed the Chelsea way of life in the early 50s leading them to their only League title worthy of being called champions.

Going off at a slightly different angle here but who remebers Tony Woodcocks 5 goals against Villa in 83. Most goals in a game by an Arsenal player post war.................
Yes Ian Rush did the same on the same day....odds on that?

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

7 goals in a game is impossible for modern day premier league imo.

42 goals in a league season sounds almost impossible, but i wouldn't doubt it completely - if robin was not injury prone and played for a top team instead of arsenal, who knows if he couldn't do it? play silva and mata behind him providing the goods, why not?

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

Can we get him on a two month deal?

:roll:

SammyDroppedHisShorts

Percy Dalton wrote:Can we get him on a two month deal?

He died in 1995
Gonna be pretty difficult Percy

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

SammyDroppedHisShorts wrote:

He died in 1995

Where theres's a will there's a way!

:wink:

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Henry and Wrighty would have stood a chance playing against the defences of the 30's.Even our defence in 1935 conceded more goals than we did last season :shock:

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

SammyDroppedHisShorts wrote:

He died in 1995
no problems, or will you try to tell me that sylvester was alive when he played for us? :lol:

Revgoon89

Post by Revgoon89 »

Impossible as it is, a side with Drake, Bastin, Brady, Adams, Henry, and Bergkamp would be untouchable. :barscarf:

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

SammyDroppedHisShorts wrote:Yes Ian Rush did the same on the same day....odds on that?
remember Smudger getting 4 in the CL v Rapid Vienna but DeanSaunders did the same on the same day for Liverpool so hardly a paper mentioned it...

wonder how many Drake scored in a calendar year...?