Henry and Van Persie, the perfect match?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

How should Henry and Van Persie play in the same team?

No problem, RvP should be subbed for Henry's 10 minutes as striker.
27%
Henry to be a Number 10, behind RvP.
7%
Henry to be on the left, deputising for Gervinho.
40%
Play them both up front in a 4-4-2.
27%
Not sure.
No votes

Total votes: 15

QuartzGooner

Henry and Van Persie, the perfect match?

Post by QuartzGooner »

I was wondering how people would prefer Henry and Van Persie to be used in the team.

Should we keep in-form RvP as the main goalscorer, just using Henry as his sub, to give him a bit of a breather?

Or how about RvP playing the Bergkamp role, to feed passes to Henry?
What would that mean for Arteta?

Or vice-versa?

Then again, with Gervinho in Africa, might Henry be best deployed left midfield?
Considering he complained when used in that role at Barcelona, saying he did not have "the legs" to run up and down the flank?

I prefer him used as RvP's deputy, to give RvP a breather and reduce possible fatigue in our notoriously brittle yet fecund Dutch striker.
Henry looks to have only a little running in him, but remains strong, agile, balanced and knows where the goal is, so a substitute role over 20 - 25 minutes looks to suit him best.

If they do play together, then keep RvP up top where he is scoring for fun, and utilise Henry's vision to provide passes.

I am not in favour of keeping RvP in the "Bergkamp" role behind Henry for the duration of Henry's loan, as I believe it negates RvP's strongest talent, that of scoring.

But if we did switch to a 4-4-2 for the last 20 minutes of a game, then it would be interesting if both play up top.
Last edited by QuartzGooner on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frankbutcher

Post by frankbutcher »

Henry will play as a sub only in all games, unless VP gets injured.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

I would play Henry behind Robin, he can still pick a pass, he can still get a head start on a player over 6 yards but the workload will be less intense than if he was at the point.

He could cause all sorts of problems as the link man, his presence alone would scare defences.

Reckon he will play 60 mins on Sun and in between they will work on him to be ready for United.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The GIC won't change his beloved 4-5-1, so the only chance we'll get to see TH14 is either a) as a sub for RvP or b) stuck out wide Gervinho/Walcott style.

We don't play with a classic number 10 anymore. Nice theory but of course it would require a manage who doesn't come to every single match with the same tactic

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:The GIC won't change his beloved 4-5-1, so the only chance we'll get to see TH14 is either a) as a sub for RvP or b) stuck out wide Gervinho/Walcott style.

We don't play with a classic number 10 anymore. Nice theory but of course it would require a manage who doesn't come to every single match with the same tactic

Nail on the head there steve o - our tactical guru is famous for putting square pegs in round holes (and no that isnt some double meaning phrase talking about his sexual exploits :roll: ) :x :x

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

That may be so but Quartz was asking how WE would use him not how Wenger will.

richardshaw

Post by richardshaw »

10 minutes isnt really enough

especially when arshavin and walcott are notorious for disappearing in games

ideal world wenger will wake up and have a real plan b for example, take off arshavin move arteta to the left which is his best position (well was for everton) and switch to a 442 with a good half hour for it to work.

and not to let walcott off the hook he should be dragged off for oxlade at the same time or shouldnt play at all.

FatChaz

Post by FatChaz »

i would love it if Henry could deputise and play a 60-90 mind on the left with RVP. but after watching the leeds game, apart from the goal, i dont think his fitness is up to it yet. so he should be subbed 20 mins before the end, but it doesnt have to be in place for RVP, since Robin can play close to 90mins

RocastleRock

Post by RocastleRock »

I should imagine he will be on the bench most games, getting maybe 25/30 minutes if needed to freshen things up.

If RVP get's injured or suspended he may get more time on the pitch.

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

I doubt we'll see them play together much, if at all.

Henry was brought in solely to act as a replacement for Chamakh during ACN; Chamakh is purely a replacement for RVP in the centre forward position.

Wenger wouldn't - and rightly so - mess with RVP's position or setup.

FatChaz

Post by FatChaz »

Barriecuda wrote:I doubt we'll see them play together much, if at all.
Wenger will probably use him in every game i reckon. you know what Wenger's like lol

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

we don't have the personnel to play 4-4-2, and it would be disrupting what the team has been doing for a few years just because of a striker on loan for 2 months.

i'd love it if we could be more versatile regarding tactics, but under wenger you can forget about that. tactics will not change.

i'd just stick henry to the left, playing as an inside striker, rvp in the middle and feo on the right. that said, i'm not sure if thierry can play 90 minutes on the premier league and i guess wenger will use him as a sub to cause some trouble to tired defenders.

Red Member

Post by Red Member »

I think he will come on with 20 minutes to go again.
This time in place of Arshavin who will probably be a bit tired after playing 2 matches in a week.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Gunnersaurus wrote:That may be so but Quartz was asking how WE would use him not how Wenger will.
I can't speak for the WE......only the I.

So if it were me, then heaven forbid.....wait for it, because this is earth shattering stuff.....

......I might take the hugely revolutionary step of using him differently depending on the opponents and match situation as it unfolded. Yep, I know it sounds crazy but in a home game against a Championship team I might take that unusual step of playing him differently to how I would in the San Siro.

Against weaker teams at home I'd play a second striker, just behind RvP. Arshavin has the vision to play in that role, but perhaps no longer the appetite or application, but TH14 could do it. Whether he could do it for 90 minutes who knows.

To be honest if he's not starting matches and we're sticking with 4-5-1, then he's only to be used in RvP's absence for whatever reason or as the second striker when we change to 4-4-2 chasing a game in the last 20 minutes.

Personally I don't see the bloody point asking him to be an out and out wide man in the way Gervinho or Walcott play. This team lacks a predator in the middle, barring RvP, and that is where we need Henry...not stuck out on the wing playing 'make-believe winger' like Bendtner did last year

armchair

Post by armchair »

We might see them together more than you'd think. When we're chasing a point in a game we should be comfortable in.

Like going 1-0 up and dominating only to fail to put the game to bed, fucking about with the tippy tappy shit, back-heels etc. All the possession with no end product. Then before we know it its 1-1 or were 2-1 down.

He'll prob throw TH14 on with RVP in cases like this which happen all the fuckin time. :roll: :banghead: