Is there anything you like about Arsenal now?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
worthing_gooner

Is there anything you like about Arsenal now?

Post by worthing_gooner »

OK so maybe not the best time to ask this question on the forum after such a bad defeat, but a valid question all the same.

There's a lot of hatred on the forum. Frustrations and disappointments are certainly justified, anger also justified, but vilifications? I'm not so sure.

As I say, a lot of these points are justified, but I'm going to list them all the same.

Lets see now. The club itself:

- Kroenke is just some yank who bought into the club, has a number of rubbish teams in the states, doesn't live in the UK, has no interest in the club whatsoever apart from asset stripping.

- Gazidis can't negotiate, is another yank Wenger yes man. Doesn't do anything for the club, fucked up multiple contracts already, hit people with a huge ticket hike.

- PHW is just an old drunk. Doesn't have a clue, bumbles through AGMs and has completely lost the plot.

- The stadium. Emirates is a shit name for a stadium, it's a soulless concrete bowl, should have stayed at Highbury. Should never have sold the naming rights.

Now the squad:

- Almunia and Fabianski are absolute shit. Szczesny is an arrogant tosser who thinks he's world class.

- Last year Koscielny was a shit defender, one of the worst we've ever had. Santos is just a fat brazilian wannabe Carlos. Gibbs is injury prone, as is Vermaelen. Djourou is a complete waste of space. Jenkinson is a league one player at best. Sagna is the only defender to come out with any credit. Mertesacker is a shit signing.

- Wilshere is Arsenal through and through. Arteta was a stop gap signing. Diaby is absolute shite and is injured all the time anyway. Denilson is absolute fucking ***** and should never play for Arsenal again. Arshavin is a lazy *word censored*. Walcott is woeful and should be sold immediately. Gervinho is a crap french league signing. Ramsey? Doesn't matter he's only playing his first full season in the Prem, he's the next denilson, fucking shit.

- RVP comes out with credit but will probably be this summers mercenary even though like Nasri and Cesc they can see this is a sinking ship. Chamakh is the worst striker ever to wear an Arsenal shirt and Park is a close second. Henry should never have come back and is only satisfying an ego-trip.

Finally, most of the fans are AKBs. Anyone who disagrees with Wenger Out is slapped down completely as a moron or a *word censored*.

The manager? He's a cancer destroying the club. He's a *word censored*. He's a deluded old fool. He's asset stripping, destroying the club from the inside.

------------

As I said before, some of those points are certainly valid, but I just don't get the black and white thinking and the pure hatred.

Sure, Wenger is doing a bad job, but a cancer? A complete deluded *word censored*? Come on, surely we can show a bit of class.

Is there anything at all you LIKE about arsenal? And is there any middle ground? Can't we say we want Wenger out without him being a complete *word censored*? Can't we say Ramsey had a poor game today without completely crucifying him? Can't we say Walcott doesn't deserve a mega contract without him being the shittest footballer ever?

I don't get the hatred and the black and white, all or nothing thinking.

Long post I know, but felt it was worth saying. I'll probably be shot down for saying it, but pretty much everything I read on this forum is hate fuelled, and from many people that I know are decent people, fans that I would gladly have a pint and a chat with at a game.

Can someone enlighten me without resorting to abuse or all or nothing thinking?

For the record, I think Wenger's time is probably up and will certainly support any calls to spend a bit of cash on players, but I'm not so full of disgust and hatred that I'm going to completely tear the guy apart.

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

I like:

The class mates I have met through this club
The craic in the pub home or away
Outsinging the home fans week in, week out.
Wilshere
Arteta
Szczesny
RVP
Sagna
Vermaelen
Koscielny
Thierry (goes without saying)
Everyone else hating us
The fact that we play near the Delight kebab house
Still being in the CL and having a winnable but exciting tie ahead of us
Still being in the FA Cup and having a winnable tie

The last two are less important as it is so astronomically unlikely we will go all the way...

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

Berkamp

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

I love Arsenal Football club and always will - still a young pip of a man at 37, so hope to watch them for another 50 years or more

you have to taste manure, before you can reap the benefits of a garden of wonderful roses

the good days will role back one day,

worthing_gooner

storrmin571 wrote:Berkamp
:lol:

Agree SWL - one of the only things I enjoy about Arsenal these days is a drink and road trip with mates going up to the away games.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

The problems are mainly very basic and that's what winds me up the most and wouldn't cost anything to fix:
Formation
Tactics
Training

There are major issues with all of the above in my opinion, all could be at least improved if Wenger actually opened his mind, but we all know he won't.
It's hard to be enthusiastic when so many basic things are being done poorly.

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

The birds behind the bar in Phibbers.

8)

worthing_gooner

TeeCee wrote:The problems are mainly very basic and that's what winds me up the most and wouldn't cost anything to fix:
Formation
Tactics
Training

There are major issues with all of the above in my opinion, all could be at least improved if Wenger actually opened his mind, but we all know he won't.
It's hard to be enthusiastic when so many basic things are being done poorly.
Yeah agree with this. This whole 4-3-3/4-5-1 thing is doing my head in. RVP is not a lone striker and he's been doing absolute wonders to have the goalscoring record he's shown in the last year or so.

On the rare occasion we switch to 4-4-2 we look infinitely more dangerous and the team and players look far more settled and comfortable in the positions.

Old Oak Gooner

Post by Old Oak Gooner »

All the above, but it is getting harder, we need David Dien back for a starter, fans to buy out the club, free to view Arsenal TV- oh fuck it l've had enough :(

augie

Post by augie »

I used to love -

Being the team that every other team/fans hated
Being able to play against some world class players and totally nulify them on the way to another 1 nil to The Arsenal
The "dont fcuk with us" ethos that ran through the club for decades - we have had some crap players and teams in our history but they battled like fcuk and wouldnt be intimidated by anyone whether that be in an italian restaurant and on the pitch at old shatford 8)
The class that the club radiated - our players wore club suits when on club duty and we just did things with more class than everyone else

Sadly every single one of those things is long with our club :cry:
Right now I can say thatI love being a Gooner but there is little about the club to love - players like sagna,tv5, wilshire, bfg,kos,arteta and rvp I like
whilst ramsey,santos,coq,jenkinson and chesney I am holding off judgement. As for the rest of the *word censored* they can fcuk right off :roll: :evil:
I hate the cartoon crest, the bowl,the crappy jerseys and the money grabbing mercenary *word censored* that we have had running our club for the last few years :evil: :evil: :evil:

STLgooner89

Post by STLgooner89 »

I like the Ox, Coquelin, Wilshere, Henderson, etc. The young kids who show more desire than half the shit in our first team.

Like Sagna, like vermaelan, like koscielney. I feel bad when one of them has to play with 2 or 3 other retards who can't defend to save their life (Djourou, Squillaci, Gibbs)

Love RVP but will Wenger make any signings that satisfy him and convince him to stay? Most likely not.

BournemouthRED

Post by BournemouthRED »

I love arsenal and always will, I love what it means to my family and even tho we're all fucked off right now, that will never change.

worthing_gooner

I think this is a good time to make the point that I agree 110% that players like Rosicky, Djourou, Diaby, Squillaci, Arshavin, Chamakh are NOT good enough to wear the red and white.

However, generally I wouldn't say they're absolute *word censored*, retards, whatever. It's not their fault that they're shit! Know what I mean?

There's absolutely no excuse whatsoever for a lack of effort (and we have seen that from say Arshavin), but a lack of ability doesn't make them a *word censored*, it just makes them not good enough for arsenal.

I don't hate those players, I don't think they're a bunch of *word censored*, but I do want them to leave and I'd wish them well elsewhere, because they're not good enough for Arsenal.

The reason I make that point is because "arsenal fans" have been throwing out death threats against Ramsey on twitter. Ramsey was poor tonight and yes maybe the jury is out - but death threats? Where does that level of pure hatred come from? Honestly.

antgel

Post by antgel »

Since the move to the new stadium, it's been getting progressively harder to find things to like. I firmly believe that it was the start of a change in culture at the club, when some *word censored* at the top said if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, but let's try and do it on the sly so people don't really notice. They gave the marketing department too much power and the wrong direction, and suddenly it's a shadow of a club.

I completely agree with the OP even though in the past I've been called an RT for daring to suggest that unbridled hatred and abuse is at best pathetic and at worst a complete opposite of the values that I (and many of us) was brought up on. Some of our fans are just like any other Sky Sports generation fans, deep down. Humourless, thick, instant-gratification yobs who don't understand *why* they are lucky to support Arsenal.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The answer is very very little. I hate the ground, I think the manager is dragging us towards one of the lowest points I have seen in all my years of watching and I have very little affinity towards any of the players. Above all I detest the ownership structure and Ivan Gazidis.

The friends I've made over the years of going have nothing to do with any of the above - I made them long before any of the present clowns arrived, so the current Arsenal FC doesn't even get credit for that

I don't even like the football we play......something I never thought I would say under Wenger, but watching this 4-5-1 slow football is dire. Always had the fact that win, lose or draw you saw a good game but that isn't even true now. 1-0 at home against shit clubs, defeats and draws just about anywhere we travel

I hate the whole fucking set-up and am pleased to have stuck to my guns and refused to give them a penny of my money. Its so bad now I turn down free tickets....even for Man United