Is this season enough to keep RVP??

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
jrthgooner

Post by jrthgooner »

This is a season that is seeing us turning into a laughing stock for the following reasons:

Spurs above us and well clear playing better football as well (I hate having to even say that and never thought I would)
Being smashed at Man Utd with an awful display
Conceding 4 at Blackburn
Continually losing leads and ultimately matches
Defending worse than any Arsenal team I have ever seen (been going since 1987) and no signs of it getting any better either
A manager who picks players out of form and not those who deserve to play
A manager with a one style fits all approach to matches despite not having the players to carry it out

If I was RVP I would go and play for a club with ambitions of competing and winning trophies rather than stay and carry a team to 5th place at best

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

thanks...........thanks a lot

:suicide:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Answer to the thread title

NO

FACT 8)

armchair

Re: Is this season enough to keep RVP??

Post by armchair »

jrthgooner wrote:This is a season that is seeing us turning into a laughing stock for the following reasons:

Spurs above us and well clear playing better football as well (I hate having to even say that and never thought I would)
Being smashed at Man Utd with an awful display
Conceding 4 at Blackburn
Continually losing leads and ultimately matches
Defending worse than any Arsenal team I have ever seen (been going since 1987) and no signs of it getting any better either
A manager who picks players out of form and not those who deserve to play
A manager with a one style fits all approach to matches despite not having the players to carry it out

If I was RVP I would go and play for a club with ambitions of competing and winning trophies rather than stay and carry a team to 5th place at best
None of the above can be attributed to Our Great Leader and are solely and only the fault of the "Board"
FACT! :roll: :lol:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Absolutely not!

If Selling Cesc and Nasri wasn't enough...
and replacing them with players of inferior quality wasn't enough...
and pocketing a profit even though we're desperate for quality players wasn't enough...
and if the worst away form for half a century wasn't enough...
and if slowly - and seemingly inevitably - moving towards at least a season out of the Champions League wasn't enough...

then, surely showing zero ambition in January by keeping the chequebook firmly closed, has all but put the final nail in the coffin?

Our only hope is that his pride at being captain, together with a settled family life, is enough for him to put ambition (and the trophies and financial benefits that brings) to one side, and sign a new contract :?

It seems a lost cause really... but I guess you never know :?

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

i agree with what everyone says here, but i'd just like to point out one small factor:

what if vP's injury record is such that the big teams won't really consider paying top dollar for him and big wages as well? if you were a big club like madrid or barcelona or munich for example, would you pay many millions of pounds and 100k+ a week for a 29 year old who before 2011 couldn't manage a few months without a long term injury? i can't see van persie playing much beyond 33 years old as well... wouldn't it be better to spend that money in high quality younger players who can actually stay fit, like hazard, goetze, cavani, lavezzi, etc?

it's just a thought that came to my mind, maybe i'm talking rubbish here.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

brazilianGOONER wrote:i agree with what everyone says here, but i'd just like to point out one small factor:

what if vP's injury record is such that the big teams won't really consider paying top dollar for him and big wages as well? if you were a big club like madrid or barcelona or munich for example, would you pay many millions of pounds and 100k+ a week for a 29 year old who before 2011 couldn't manage a few months without a long term injury? i can't see van persie playing much beyond 33 years old as well... wouldn't it be better to spend that money in high quality younger players who can actually stay fit, like hazard, goetze, cavani, lavezzi, etc?

it's just a thought that came to my mind, maybe i'm talking rubbish here.
I see what you mean but with only a year left on his contract his price would be relatively small compared to if he had 5 years left, so i can imagine them taking a gamble on him. Either that or let him see his contract out and get him for free is a definate possibility

SpanishJoe

Post by SpanishJoe »

If you put yourself in RvP's shoes: your at the top of your game, probably as good as any striker at the moment, you want to win things........why would you stay?

I'm sure he likes London, is settled with his family, has a good degree of loyalty for the club and AW (and we've kidnapped his son) but is that enough?

If I was him I'd realise that if I wanted to move then this is the time (once I'm 30 clubs will look at me differently). I want to be succesful. Do I think the manager/club are going to do the things that are necessary for me to be successful? Fuck off! Do you think I'm blind and stupid?

The only saving grace for us may be that the very top clubs that RvP may be attracted to already have plenty of good, expensive, contracted players and, please God, he wouldn't go to Manure!

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

SpanishJoe wrote:If you put yourself in RvP's shoes: your at the top of your game, probably as good as any striker at the moment, you want to win things........why would you stay?
You wouldn't, and neither would Cesc and Nasri.

They get one career... one shot... one opportunity.. (fuck me, I sound like Eminem :shock: )... and there's no way they should be expected to waste that so they can indulge Wenger and his failed experiment.

We're crying out for fresh input. We need a new direction.

I'd say we went stale a few years back, so I suppose that means we're now stinking to high heaven with mould... shame Stan can't smell it from Colorado :roll:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

g88ner wrote:
SpanishJoe wrote:If you put yourself in RvP's shoes: your at the top of your game, probably as good as any striker at the moment, you want to win things........why would you stay?

They get one career... one shot... one opportunity.. (fuck me, I sound like Eminem :shock: )... and there's no way they should be expected to waste that so they can indulge Wenger and his failed experiment.

I'd say we went stale a few years back, so I suppose that means we're now stinking to high heaven with mould... shame Stan can't smell it from Colorado :roll:
You used to be such a wide-eyed young optimist...it makes me sad to see your inexorable journey to hardened cynic.

Actually, forget that....I love to see it!

:lol:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

arseofacrow wrote:
g88ner wrote:

You used to be such a wide-eyed young optimist...it makes me sad to see your inexorable journey to hardened cynic.

:lol: :lol:

Ah, it's okay - I'm still an optimist at heart; I have a sneaky feeling we might get to the Champions League final this year. 8)

Just a shame Goetze will be cup tied :( :lol:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

arseofacrow wrote:
g88ner wrote:

Was just thinking the same as i read that post :lol:

Welcome to the miserable old bastards club g88ner :barscarf:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

flash gunner wrote:
arseofacrow wrote:
g88ner wrote:

Welcome to the miserable old bastards club :barscarf:
:roll:

Read my post above yours Flash... I'm still the deluded optimist I always was, mate :wink: :lol:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

g88ner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:
arseofacrow wrote:
g88ner wrote:

Welcome to the miserable old bastards club :barscarf:
:roll:

Read my post above yours Flash... I'm still the deluded optimist I always was, mate :wink: :lol:
Your use of :roll: shows youre in the miserable old bastard club or Clique as its now called :barscarf: Welcome

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

RvP is going. Would have gone if we'd finished 4th anyway, as he's already had enough of that. The fact that we'll end up somewhere between 5th and 8th will just make the decision even easier for him to justify. By the way, I don't blame him at all.